Sons' sorrow

39 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

I see that if we were to get through our opening two ties in the SPFL Trust Trophy, we then play one of Fraserburgh, Cowdenbeath or Alloa away. If we get beyond that, we're away in the Quarter Final and at home for the Semi-Final. 

Be aswell engraving our name on the trophy the now then

Was sad to learn of the passing of John Bush. When I stepped into the 50/50 role, John was a huge help. It was always enjoyable catching up with him on a Saturday afternoon and the time he gave up to work the car park selling 50/50 tickets, sometimes in horrible weather, was done for no other reason than to try and help the club a little. He'd stick around to help with the cash count, sort out notes with the bar staff and we'd be lucky if we missed less than the first 5-10 minutes of the game. But he stuck around to help and it was hugely appreciated. Cubs like ours rely so much on the good will and effort of fans volunteering.  I know his friends in the support will miss him greatly.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

1 hour ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I absolutely love him - he must have only actually managed about 20 league games for us in two and a half seasons but I would have had him on a deal in a heartbeat. Not actually even sure he's that great of a footballer, just an absolutely stand up guy!

In all seriousness, the very few games he was fully fit he looked extremely dangerous. Not a surprise given his futsal background, he could keep the ball off you in a phone box.

I'm getting vibes from this guy that shout 'The Nordic Froxy' at me - release the beast pronto I say.

But whilst the Syvertsen signing is pleasing, that of Calum Wilson could be equally eye-catching.  I've seen him for only about 30 minutes but I saw enough of the Billy Gilmours to suggest that we may have done a shrewd piece of business here.  Make it so.

I'd love to chat more but Matron tells me it's now time to return to my room.

9 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm very sorry indeed  to read of the sad passing of John Bush on the OS.

Bushy was a Sons stalwart for as long as I can remember, and as the piece says he was the epitome of the type of willing contributor clubs like ours absolutely depend on.  Many of you would have known him as the guy on entance duty at the car park on match days.

Sincere condolences to his family.

3 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Was sad to learn of the passing of John Bush. When I stepped into the 50/50 role, John was a huge help. It was always enjoyable catching up with him on a Saturday afternoon and the time he gave up to work the car park selling 50/50 tickets, sometimes in horrible weather, was done for no other reason than to try and help the club a little. He'd stick around to help with the cash count, sort out notes with the bar staff and we'd be lucky if we missed less than the first 5-10 minutes of the game. But he stuck around to help and it was hugely appreciated. Cubs like ours rely so much on the good will and effort of fans volunteering.  I know his friends in the support will miss him greatly.

He neatly dodged the False Imprisonment charge too.

Really do think Faz is going to struggle to keep folk happy this season. If Lynch is playing right back, at least one or more of Carswell, Geggan, Paton or Pignatiello will need to sit on the bench. McKee will be nailed on unless he goes missing so those 4 are fighting for 2 places, with Wilson showing he can play in there too. Out wide you'll have at least two of Hopkirk, Syvertsen, McLean and Duthie on the bench. Then up front there's basically no competition, and the defence is all pretty much nailed on with very little competition, I do worry we're a wee bit overloaded with midfielders.

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Really do think Faz is going to struggle to keep folk happy this season. If Lynch is playing right back, at least one or more of Carswell, Geggan, Paton or Pignatiello will need to sit on the bench. McKee will be nailed on unless he goes missing so those 4 are fighting for 2 places, with Wilson showing he can play in there too. Out wide you'll have at least two of Hopkirk, Syvertsen, McLean and Duthie on the bench. Then up front there's basically no competition, and the defence is all pretty much nailed on with very little competition, I do worry we're a wee bit overloaded with midfielders.

I’ll be slightly disappointed if Faz decides to go with Lynch at right back tbh. I don’t think he looks particularly comfortable there and I’d rather see either Geggan or Pigantiello starting at RB. 

Is Syvertsen not a Striker?

I do agree though with the overload of midfield players. I will wait to see the first few games before judging much else though. It could well be that we plan on playing with 5 midfielders and 1 Striker. Maybe even 3 of those midfielders being attacking mids spaced out behind the lone striker.

Who knows? We will soon see though.

47 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

By 'folk' I assume you mean players Moonster, because as someone who has been dismayed by the quality , or the lack of it, in our midfield for a few seasons now I'm certainly not complaining about the choice now on offer.  Modern football is a squad game and focusing on starting line-ups ignores the need to both respond to injuries and alter tactics and personnel as a game unfolds.  I'd much rather have the option of any of the above than last season's one of say Langan replacing Wedderburn, with depressingly predictable results.

Additionally, Geggan, Carswell and Pignatiello offer defensive cover, and McKee and Duthie can both play an advanced role behind a striker.  I'm also not really seeing how Hopkirk and Syvertsen are classed as wingers as opposed to strikers ?  Sure we may be lacking still in a couple of positions - a 20-goal striker for example -  but for the first time in years we are approaching a season with the semblance of a coherent squad with not a little quality.  Pleasing IMO.

Is Syvertsen not a Striker?

I do agree though with the overload of midfield players. I will wait to see the first few games before judging much else though. It could well be that we plan on playing with 5 midfielders and 1 Striker. Maybe even 3 of those midfielders being attacking mids spaced out behind the lone striker.

Who knows? We will soon see though.
No, Syvertsen isn't a striker. We played him up top when Goodwillie was injured and he struggled in that position in league 2.

He either played behind Goodwillie in the number 10 role or to the left or right of him when we played with Goodwillie up top and 2 behind.

He's a good player for this level with excellent close control and comfortable with the ball in tight spaces. The big problem is just how injury prone he is. He played 35 games for Clyde with 21 of those during 18/19. He played the league cup at the start of 19/20 then missed all of that season and then last season was never seen again after the restart.

Good luck to him. I just hope he doesn't come back to haunt us.

Can Syvertsen play upfront?

I still think we're going to get a loan signing to cover the striking area. 

I'm really impressed with the way the club and Farrell have gone about business. Possibly under the radar and we might just upset a few clubs this season. I've got really positive vibes about the season.

His interview on the OS certainly have me that impression.

"The striker admits that he wasn't sure he'd be staying in Scottish football"

"Personally, I think that the score will take care of itself. I have a goal target in mind but I don't want to say what it is right now."

32 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Can Syvertsen play upfront?

I still think we're going to get a loan signing to cover the striking area. 

I'm really impressed with the way the club and Farrell have gone about business. Possibly under the radar and we might just upset a few clubs this season. I've got really positive vibes about the season.

He did a few times for us. Mostly in League Two when Goodwillie had a broken arm. He wasn’t exactly prolific but did score a lovely goal against Annan. He’d probably do a decent job up top given an extended run but I don’t think he’d be a 20 goal a season striker or anything.

I know I am repeating myself here but I really do hope it works out for him (apart from against Clyde etc). He seems a really nice guy and when fit and on form, he can be such an entertaining player. He’s had a really tough time with injuries and he deserves a bit of a break.

He's not a good striker necessarily because he'd go looking for the ball out wide and deeper. As I said previously, he's a good finisher but doesn't really have that striker instinct; he'd rarely get in positions to show his finishing. If you were feeling extravagant you could play him as a "false 9" and have Hopkirk and someone else coming in from wide.

That said, he was perfect for us as he could play there and provide a threat but could also play right across the front line, which given that Goodwillie was always going to start meant he'd get games. I'm pretty sure about which set of fans will be happier about the attacker they've acquired from the other club this summer (clue, it'll not be Clyde).

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

By 'folk' I assume you mean players Moonster, because as someone who has been dismayed by the quality , or the lack of it, in our midfield for a few seasons now I'm certainly not complaining about the choice now on offer.  Modern football is a squad game and focusing on starting line-ups ignores the need to both respond to injuries and alter tactics and personnel as a game unfolds.  I'd much rather have the option of any of the above than last season's one of say Langan replacing Wedderburn, with depressingly predictable results.

Additionally, Geggan, Carswell and Pignatiello offer defensive cover, and McKee and Duthie can both play an advanced role behind a striker.  I'm also not really seeing how Hopkirk and Syvertsen are classed as wingers as opposed to strikers ?  Sure we may be lacking still in a couple of positions - a 20-goal striker for example -  but for the first time in years we are approaching a season with the semblance of a coherent squad with not a little quality.  Pleasing IMO.

Sorry aye, I'm not complaining that we have these players, I just think Faz has a tough job of putting it all together now!

As the Clyde fans are saying, Syvertsen is better coming off the wing or behind the striker. Paddy Boyle said in commentary that we should expect Hopkirk to cause problems coming off the right hand side. Orsi just seems like the only guy we have suited to playing up front on his own and I'd like an out and out striker to challenge him. I have liked the look of Orsi so far though and if Faz has a plan for making this come together in harmony then I'm quite happy to trust him. 

Clutching at 👀📝 straws....

But would players not know the start of season dates for holidays so should we expect the mystery player to be announced today? 

Or am I just doing something wishful thinking to distract myself at work. 

Just now, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Please someone tell me something positive about Jaime Wilson because at the moment I've certainly not got very high hopes..

Someone will probably give you a fairer review - but i'm quite baffled he has a deal, never mind a 2 year.  With the pressure Falkirk fans put on their club, there is zero chance he will be there the full two years.

Probably had 5 good games for us.  Good luck to him though, his agent must be a miracle worker.

2 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

Someone will probably give you a fairer review - but i'm quite baffled he has a deal, never mind a 2 year.  With the pressure Falkirk fans put on their club, there is zero chance he will be there the full two years.

Probably had 5 good games for us.  Good luck to him though, his agent must be a miracle worker.

That's not very positive Thommo.