Sons' sorrow

11 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

I think if last season hadnt happened it would absolutely be knicker-wetting.But  fans are aware of our collapse last season which is why so many are concerned.

Last season was written off when the board backed Faz to be the man this season. We've won 7 of our 10 games and sit top of the league, I'm sure if I said that would be the case after 10 games you'd have bitten my hand off in the summer. Obviously we need to see improvement but I think everyone needs to calm down a bit. 

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Last season was written off when the board backed Faz to be the man this season. We've won 7 of our 10 games and sit top of the league, I'm sure if I said that would be the case after 10 games you'd have bitten my hand off in the summer. Obviously we need to see improvement but I think everyone needs to calm down a bit. 

Some fans will stay calm when they've been hurt, others will lash out. You'll never change that.  After a 4-0 humping away at Berwick once, I wrote the most evil review I'd ever written. The Binos had been truly rank rotten. I declared our team incapable of winning promotion and I believed that. We were 6th at the time. 

They did get promoted, despite managing to concede 54 goals on the way. In short. One dire humping doesn't define a season, it bloody hurts though and some fans will let that pain be heard, rational or not. 

I think we do need to look at the bigger picture. I was pissed of yesterday as were lots of us but as has been pointed out before, we have won 7 from 10 and are 2 points clear at the top. OK the 7 wins came in a row and followed it up with a loss a draw and another loss. Look at it another way. If we had lost game 2, drawn game 5, then lost game 8, we would still be 2 points clear at the top and noone would be bleating about managers getting sacked. We dropped some points, it will happen. If we win next week against Albion Rovers and beat Cumnock in the Scottish Cup I'm sure we will be back to being cheery cheery until the next loss.

Last season is done and dusted. Decisions made in the summer, whether we agreed or not it doesn't matter, its done. We started afresh and ultimately the majority have been happy with the start and pleasantly surprised with how some of the signings have panned out. Sacking a manager who's 2 points clear at the top is madness regardless of opinions. Be serious its not going to happen. And those calling for it to happen to replace him with kids coaches and junior guys sums up a big chunk of our support. Stevie has repaid the backing of the board with the start he made. He has earned at least another quarter. If we go on a slump and fall out of the top 4 then maybe the betwetters have a point but I am pretty convinced we will see Stevie see out the season at least.

50 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

I think we do need to look at the bigger picture. I was pissed of yesterday as were lots of us but as has been pointed out before, we have won 7 from 10 and are 2 points clear at the top. OK the 7 wins came in a row and followed it up with a loss a draw and another loss. Look at it another way. If we had lost game 2, drawn game 5, then lost game 8, we would still be 2 points clear at the top and noone would be bleating about managers getting sacked. We dropped some points, it will happen. If we win next week against Albion Rovers and beat Cumnock in the Scottish Cup I'm sure we will be back to being cheery cheery until the next loss.

Last season is done and dusted. Decisions made in the summer, whether we agreed or not it doesn't matter, its done. We started afresh and ultimately the majority have been happy with the start and pleasantly surprised with how some of the signings have panned out. Sacking a manager who's 2 points clear at the top is madness regardless of opinions. Be serious its not going to happen. And those calling for it to happen to replace him with kids coaches and junior guys sums up a big chunk of our support. Stevie has repaid the backing of the board with the start he made. He has earned at least another quarter. If we go on a slump and fall out of the top 4 then maybe the betwetters have a point but I am pretty convinced we will see Stevie see out the season at least.

I would say last season was done and dusted if we had a new manager.You cannot write off last season like it didnt happen.The paralells will continually be drawn.

As you say lets hope we get a positive run of results.All i care about is promotion.If thats done under Farrell then great.I just dont think it will under him. Thats all.

18 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

I would say last season was done and dusted if we had a new manager.You cannot write off last season like it didnt happen.The paralells will continually be drawn.

As you say lets hope we get a positive run of results.All i care about is promotion.If thats done under Farrell then great.I just dont think it will under him. Thats all.

The parallels are not there yet.

We started the season well. We've been playing poorly for a few weeks now. Didn't hurt us against Bonnyrigg, but we lost down in Stranraer and drew with Forfar. We were humped yesterday. Not time to push the panic button, but definitely time to acknowledge that our performances have dipped. Next week is another tough one with Albion Rovers having won yesterday. Cumnock is a potential cup shock. We then travel down to Annan.

We're not sinking but we do need to start playing better. Not just winning, but winning and playing well. Get a bit of confidence back. If we do that then yesterday will be nothing more than a shite day for the folk who went to the game. If we don't then you can see the manager being under pressure in November.

The parallels are not there yet.
We started the season well. We've been playing poorly for a few weeks now. Didn't hurt us against Bonnyrigg, but we lost down in Stranraer and drew with Forfar. We were humped yesterday. Not time to push the panic button, but definitely time to acknowledge that our performances have dipped. Next week is another tough one with Albion Rovers having won yesterday. Cumnock is a potential cup shock. We then travel down to Annan.
We're not sinking but we do need to start playing better. Not just winning, but winning and playing well. Get a bit of confidence back. If we do that then yesterday will be nothing more than a shite day for the folk who went to the game. If we don't then you can see the manager being under pressure in November.

Unfortunately winning and playing well is not something we have done very often. The parallels with last season are there to see. We have one way of playing. First quarter it works but then other teams see how to counter it. Farrell doesn’t seem to be able to counter back. Yesterday was a prime example. Three substitutions at half time but we continued to play the same way. If we didn’t sack him close season I very much doubt we will sack him this season. I’d take the play offs as a successful season

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

Unfortunately winning and playing well is not something we have done very often. The parallels with last season are there to see. We have one way of playing. First quarter it works but then other teams see how to counter it. Farrell doesn’t seem to be able to counter back. Yesterday was a prime example. Three substitutions at half time but we continued to play the same way. If we didn’t sack him close season I very much doubt we will sack him this season. I’d take the play offs as a successful season

A very good post.

Yesterday was traumatic not just because of the scoreline (which could well have been eight), but also because of the gulf in football ability, pace and general attitude between the teams.  A game which looked interesting on paper was finished as a contest within ten minutes and what followed was a turkey shoot.  There is no way to sugar coat what was the ultimate bad day at the office for a top of the league team.

Now either Stirling are streets ahead of us or there is something else going on.  I'm not sure to be honest, but I'm reluctant to buy into Stevie Farrell's post-match analysis about positional and personnel fine-tuning - what I watched yesterday was much more profound than that.  Credit Stirling for their performance (and this was always going to be a tough fixture) but their players must have been as shocked as Sons fans at the capitulation that unfolded.  And I could have done without the touchy-feely on-field apologies at the end.

I'd also like to bring up something I haven't seen mentioned.  Why in the name of God was Aron Lynas allowed to see out the last fifteen minutes when the lad was obviously injured and in some distress ?  Why wasn't David Wilson for example brought on to replace him ?

What's done is done yes.  We need to get behind the team on Saturday in what will be a very difficult fixture against a Rovers team which we were fortunate to defeat at Cliftonhill.  As for the unfolding season, that seven-game winning streak may end up being an insurance policy rather than a platform for promotion.  Time will tell.

21 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

Ach, lads, not only are we fighting relegation, but we're now also the worst Sons team in 50 (FIFTY) years:

Screenshot_20221008-213234.thumb.png.6cf2124ad3b3fddeef42aca5e42e9c23.png

Where do these people come from?! I've been watching shite Dumbarton football for years and yet the verdicts are always worse online than in the flesh. What's the quote "y'all are getting too comfortable saying things online you'd never say to someone's face..."

I've seen more than one 6-0 defeat.

4 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

also like to bring up something I haven't seen mentioned.  Why in the name of God was Aron Lynas allowed to see out the last fifteen minutes when the lad was obviously injured and in some distress ?  Why wasn't David Wilson for example brought on to replace him ?

His long throws are our #1 attacking option, mind?

In order to provide some context, perspective and light and shade into the discussion,  may I point out that in:

2001-02 we were beaten 5-0 at home to Montrose and 4-0 away to Peterhead and yet won promotion.

2008-09 when last in this league, we were defeated twice by East Stirlingshire at Firs Park, 5-2 and 3-1.  We went on to win the league.

2011-12 we were defeated 5-1 at home by Stirling Albion and 4-0 by Cowdenbeath. We went on to win the play offs.

EVEN in 1971-72, we were beaten 6-1 by Raith Rovers away and 4-2 by Stranraer at home and won promotion to the top league for the first time in 50 years.

Supportring Dumbarton is not to be on an even keel.  

Of course none of the managers of these teams lasted in the post and only one was for something better.

Keep the heid.

1 hour ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

In order to provide some context, perspective and light and shade into the discussion,  may I point out that in:

2001-02 we were beaten 5-0 at home to Montrose and 4-0 away to Peterhead and yet won promotion.

2008-09 when last in this league, we were defeated twice by East Stirlingshire at Firs Park, 5-2 and 3-1.  We went on to win the league.

2011-12 we were defeated 5-1 at home by Stirling Albion and 4-0 by Cowdenbeath. We went on to win the play offs.

EVEN in 1971-72, we were beaten 6-1 by Raith Rovers away and 4-2 by Stranraer at home and won promotion to the top league for the first time in 50 years.

Supportring Dumbarton is not to be on an even keel.  

Of course none of the managers of these teams lasted in the post and only one was for something better.

Keep the heid.

I had tried to forget that game, I was in hospitality with my Dad and Grandad that day. A rare occasion where all 3 generations were at a game together and we got absolutely scudded. 

Thanks to sonsarchive for this one but the assistant ref that day was a Mr William Collum it turns out. 

I see Calum Gallagher has broken Bryan Prunty's record to become Airdrie's all-time (2002-present) record goalscorer.

Not bad for someone roundly derided by our fans (at the ground, not so much on here) because he ran in such an ungainly way.

I see Calum Gallagher has broken Bryan Prunty's record to become Airdrie's all-time (2002-present) record goalscorer.
Not bad for someone roundly derided by our fans (at the ground, not so much on here) because he ran in such an ungainly way.
I'm delighted for Gal he's been a brilliant signing for us.

If you've ever read any of the Airdrie thread you'll read the exact same criticism of him and how he isn't good enough which is ridiculous, for league 1 you're probably not going to get a better goalscorer.

Don't get me wrong he does have his frustrating moments, being offside numerous times in a game and the amount of sitters he misses, but the amount of times he finds himself in the correct position infront of goal, and his hold up play is tremendous.

8 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Cheers Jim Duffy.

1 minute ago, David Fernández said:

I'm delighted for Gal he's been a brilliant signing for us.

If you've ever read any of the Airdrie thread you'll read the exact same criticism of him and how he isn't good enough which is ridiculous, for league 1 you're probably not going to get a better goalscorer.

Don't get me wrong he does have his frustrating moments, being offside numerous times in a game and the amount of sitters he misses, but the amount of times he finds himself in the correct position infront of goal, and his hold up play is tremendous.

He can absolutely be frustrating but, as you say, he's guaranteed double figures every season if he stays fit. Those players are few and far between and I don't think some fans fully appreciate just how rare that is. Especially at the moment. 

Appreciate him whilst he's there. Because, trust me, you'll miss him when he leaves :(

38 minutes ago, microdave said:

I think some of the frustration stemmed from him taking 27 games before scoring a league goal, albeit in the championship. 13 goals in his L1 season was a good return in a team that struggled at times.

That was a season of two halves.We had Aitken for9 games and a horrendous injury situation.When that cleared up we were one of the best teams in the league along with Arbroath and Gallagher seemed to shine more during that period with goals and assists IIRC.