Chvrches

ForzaDundee

Ok Chvrches are the best thing since sliced bread.

What I have been saying is the synth sound has been done to death especially pop synth for children who can only hear the basic chords that make up popular sound. This band might go three albums and then they will disappear. Then the wee lassie will start writing pop hits magazine or something..

Edit to add

I like to see Scottish bands do well and bought this album when it first came out , played it around three times then field. I get young people will like it and anything that gets children listening to music is a good thing. Just stating for me I hear nothing new it's pop music played on basic common chords.

I really couldn't tell you chords from cords but I quite like the sound when I play it in the car driving home from work. One good him to come out of seeing them last week was digging out some really pretensious 80s synth in the shape of OMD, so despite playing music for weans they may have helped enlighten some of the younger generations.

We get that you,don't like them. I don't particularly like them either, as stated previously.

The notion though that "the synth sound" has been done to death seems absurd - what are the sounds you're listening to that haven't been done to death?

I'd imagine part of the appeal of Chvrches is the simplicity. Some of the best and indeed most revolutionary popular music has been exceptionally simple. I take no issue with anyone who has an automatic preference for "complexity", and if that's your bag then that's fine. It's absolutely incredible though that you'd cite Disclosure as some sort of antidote to either simplicity or music that's been done before, given their entire shtick is to sound like decades worth of other music.

We get that you,don't like them. I don't particularly like them either, as stated previously.

The notion though that "the synth sound" has been done to death seems absurd - what are the sounds you're listening to that haven't been done to death?

I'd imagine part of the appeal of Chvrches is the simplicity. Some of the best and indeed most revolutionary popular music has been exceptionally simple. I take no issue with anyone who has an automatic preference for "complexity", and if that's your bag then that's fine. It's absolutely incredible though that you'd cite Disclosure as some sort of antidote to either simplicity or music that's been done before, given their entire shtick is to sound like decades worth of other music.

Colin you wrote what I wrote in a round about way -

Simplicity - There is a market for that the younger generation or the older generation who like a MOR sound.

Not for one second do I think synth music is dead I like synth music myself but give us something new to listen to not the same old beats , chords ,sequencers. Sorry I am just putting my own opinion down on the album ( I bought mind ) so think I am aloud to do that even if you don't like what I write.

I get people like it but nothing new or great has been brought to the table, Hear nothing to suggest this band will be around for a while.

The hardest thing in the music is to write pop hits. One , two three , four can be done by the majority. Years of writing catchy sound bites for the masses is another story. Only the extremely talented can do that. Unfortunately this is not one of these bands.

Colin you wrote what I wrote in a round about way -

Simplicity - There is a market for that the younger generation or the older generation who like a MOR sound.

Not for one second do I think synth music is dead I like synth music myself but give us something new to listen to not the same old beats , chords ,sequencers. Sorry I am just putting my own opinion down on the album ( I bought mind ) so think I am aloud to do that even if you don't like what I write.

I get people like it but nothing new or great has been brought to the table, Hear nothing to suggest this band will be around for a while.

The hardest thing in the music is to write pop hits. One , two three , four can be done by the majority. Years of writing catchy sound bites for the masses is another story. Only the extremely talented can do that. Unfortunately this is not one of these bands.

They must be absolutely gutted by this news.

That and the podcast, both v. dece.

Whilst I have to admit to not being keen on their Arctic Monkeys cover, I don't think I've ever heard a cover version that's such a dramatic improvement on the original as Tightrop by Janelle Monae. I'd never heard the original song before but this:

=

alan-partridge-shrug-o.gif

This:

= Dale Carricks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

UK tour news should be coming up soon by all accounts. I suspect that they'll just do a gig in Glasgow in terms of Scotland but they might come to Edinburgh again. They were glorious last time.

• 2 weeks later...

UK dates in November. No Glasgow date which is really odd. I wonder if that will be added later. Aberdeen (Music Hall) and Dundee (Fat Sams) are the two Scottish dates.

I was listening to them again on the radio the other day. This sounds unfairly harsh, but I suddenly thought they basically sounded exactly like Ladytron except with slightly inferior song structures.

Am I roughly right or a bellend?

(Or both?)