NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Enjoying the meltdowns over the Peacock exclusive Wildcard game this weekend.

Congratulations to Neil Doncaster, didn't realise he was the NFL's broadcast deal negotiator

I assume it's still on Sky in the UK?

In a hypothetical world and with their current rosters, how much would an elite QB like Jackson, Mahomes or Allen make to losing teams like New England, Carolina or the Jets?

Get them to around .500 or even make the playoffs?

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

In a hypothetical world and with their current rosters, how much would an elite QB like Jackson, Mahomes or Allen make to losing teams like New England, Carolina or the Jets?

Get them to around .500 or even make the playoffs?

Plenty of insight into this as a Chargers fan. There were seasons in the Philip Rivers era where they'd genuinely have been a 0 to 1 win team without upper-tier QB play dragging them along, and they went 0-4 without Herbert this season. Generally I think those guys are good for 4-6 wins a year above and beyond a typical back-up, but a QB alone is not going to take a 2 win talent roster and turn them into a 12-14 win team.

Jets are interesting. I said at the start of the season that even if Rodgers stayed healthy and played at typical Rodgers level then I didn't expect them to win any more than 9-10 games tops. The Superbowl predictions were ridiculous, because even though Rodgers is undeniably an upper-echelon QB, the Jets OL utterly stinks, they lack weapons besides Wilson, they play in a division with the Bills and Dolphins, and there was no guarantee Rodgers himself was going to be vintage Rodgers given his 2022 in GB was a bit creaky.

Given that they won 7 games without him, I think that in hindsight 9-10 wins with Rodgers under C is still realistic. I don't think he'd have achieved any more than that.

Jags at Wembley, Vikings and Bears at Tottenham as the home teams in 2024/25 then. Anyone’s pulse racing? No matter, let’s see who the opposition is, will be a great weekend in the big smoke as always.

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Jags at Wembley, Vikings and Bears at Tottenham as the home teams in 2024/25 then. Anyone’s pulse racing? No matter, let’s see who the opposition is, will be a great weekend in the big smoke as always.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-announces-designated-teams-for-london-munich-2024-international-games

8 hours ago, Swarley said:

The mighty Panthers in Munich. Definitely a London game again for me then. Like most London game initial announcements - meh. Then the opponents are announced - usually meh again.

Then I pick a game, go down, and it’s great. Oh, apart from that time at Wembley when the Dolphins and Saints whiffed the place out so badly you could smell it from, erm, Sao Paulo. 😎 

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

The mighty Panthers in Munich. Definitely a London game again for me then. Like most London game initial announcements - meh. Then the opponents are announced - usually meh again.

Then I pick a game, go down, and it’s great. Oh, apart from that time at Wembley when the Dolphins and Saints whiffed the place out so badly you could smell it from, erm, Sao Paulo. 😎 

Giants are on the Panthers schedule next season so could be a Germany game for us. 

8 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Giants are on the Panthers schedule next season so could be a Germany game for us. 

Always great getting to see your own team in the flesh. Denver are 2 & 1 in the games I’ve seen them live in. I know it’s an argument that goes around and around, but while the London games are not nearly the same atmosphere as a game on US soil, played in front of (mostly) rabid home fans, still great events. My choice next season will most likely be based on the opponent then, as all three home teams have a much-of-a-muchness level of attraction for me personally. Leaning towards a Tottenham game though, even though Wembley has the better transport links, that new Spurs place is something else.