NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Saints were going to have to make 20m of cuts to meet the cap. Add Ingram to this and you wonder wherebthe savings are going to come from.

Colston took a big pay cut I'm sure and Pierre Thomas was cut to save 9 million so I imagine they're not as far away from it as you'd think. Probably see some of the poor defensive players go to make up the rest

Colston took a big pay cut I'm sure and Pierre Thomas was cut to save 9 million so I imagine they're not as far away from it as you'd think. Probably see some of the poor defensive players go to make up the rest

I use overthecap.com and even taking the above into account, they are still 18m over the cap excluding the draft figures which have still to hit. If you look at where the money is, they are going to either make savings with the big earners or play with half a squad!

Jairus Byrd restructured. Curtis Lofton is rumoured to be getting cut and they are shopping around Junior Gallette (who has a ridiculous cap number and no one is going to take).

They are fucked.

Eagles -

In: Frank Gore, Byron Maxwell, Kiko Alonso.

Out: Todd Herremans, Trent Cole, Cary Williams (all released), shady McCoy (Bills), Jeremy Maclin (Cheifs),

Three good pickups but extremely disappointed to lose Maclin. Unsure what direction we're going in terms of the wide receiver position but I have concerns there.

Jairus Byrd restructured. Curtis Lofton is rumoured to be getting cut and they are shopping around Junior Gallette (who has a ridiculous cap number and no one is going to take).

They are fucked.

The number I quoted of $18m actually includes the Byrd restructure. Chris Lofton will free just over $4m, Junior Gallette going will not actually free any money and would increase the cap spend by $0.75m it cut. They have been pushing out their spend for too long now and it is getting to the stage where they are going to have to write off large amounts of actual cash and players they would rather keep.

A prime example of how they got into this situation is to look at the details for Brandin Cooks who will earn just shy of $2m this year but to cut will cost $6m in dead money or Kenny Vacaro $2.75m/$5.5m

Eagles -

In: Frank Gore, Byron Maxwell, Kiko Alonso.

Out: Todd Herremans, Trent Cole, Cary Williams (all released), shady McCoy (Bills), Jeremy Maclin (Cheifs),

Three good pickups but extremely disappointed to lose Maclin. Unsure what direction we're going in terms of the wide receiver position but I have concerns there.

Colts have picked up Herremans.

The number I quoted of $18m actually includes the Byrd restructure. Chris Lofton will free just over $4m, Junior Gallette going will not actually free any money and would increase the cap spend by $0.75m it cut. They have been pushing out their spend for too long now and it is getting to the stage where they are going to have to write off large amounts of actual cash and players they would rather keep.

A prime example of how they got into this situation is to look at the details for Brandin Cooks who will earn just shy of $2m this year but to cut will cost $6m in dead money or Kenny Vacaro $2.75m/$5.5m

Cooks and Vaccarro are still on their first contracts though and I'd imagine a lot of 1st Rounders are on similar deals. It's the type of contracts like Junior Gallette (really really ridiculous) and Curtis Lofton that are killing them.

Patrick Willis will announce his retirement on Wednesday. Massive, perhaps insurmountable blow for the malfunctioning Niners.

Yep, definitely going to be a big loss, he's been a superb player for the 49ers. Really fearing the worst for the new season at the moment.

Yep, definitely going to be a big loss, he's been a superb player for the 49ers. Really fearing the worst for the new season at the moment.

I was wondering how you would find space for Willis, Bowman and Borland. Borland had an excellent rookie season (although he's no Patrick Willis).