NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

I don't understand the hatred thing. Why would you hate a team just cause they are UK based?

Not sure how this it would be forced on us either?

There is clearly a huge appetite for the NFL in the Uk. seems a really logical step to have a franchise based here. London has over 12 million people.

Is it because in football over here a team that moves is seen as soulless and evil? Because they are all franchises in the US. Titans being the most recent?!

Would you stop supporting the Raiders franchise if they moved to LA?

Would you have less of an issue if a UK side was an expansion team?

I wouldn't support the UK team, wouldn't mind seeing them do well, imagine they got good and we got play off games over here?

I'm also not sure about selling out 8 times a year, especially if they are shit! When it's a one or two game thing then you would get people who would go just as a one off to see a live game, I'm not sure the same people would then go another 6-7 times.

You have to look at it this way. From the 80k or whatever it is sell out's for the international series, how many of them had to travel a fair distance? Even us for example, still in the UK. Your talking 80 quid for flight/train, £60 for the cheapest ticket, then over night stays on top of that. It's easily over £200 a HOME game. 8 times a season? No chance. Can't work and surley to god won't happen.

I posted this a few months ago and stick by it:

Well, i thought the second game was a mistake and would dilute ticket sales so i was wrong about that and will probably be wrong abut everything else i write.

I suppose from the league's point of view it makes sense to push this until they break it. If the eventual aim is a UK/London franchise you need to see how many games you can put on and it needs to be more than 2 or 3.

If i was a jags fan i would be seriously peed off about losing 1 of 8 home games, and more than likely games to box office franchises.

I think the touring franchise thing makes a lot of sense but obviously any UK franchise would still need a permanent base for training and offices.

I come from a sporting tradition where your team is your team and that is it. My team is Pats and for whatever spurious reasons i chose them that is it now. I'm not going to support a british team, and certainly not a London team. If aything the coverage they would get would probably make them my #1 hate team. Having said all that i would probably still attend the odd game, especially if playing the Pats or a big franchise. Apart from anything else I have a season ticket for tannadice and thats always going to be the main sport for me. NFL on a sunday night in front of the telly suits me down to the ground and i wonder how many others who regulalrly make the wembley trip are in that boat.

NFLUK seems to be split down the middle between people like me and people who would jump ship or have a second team ( a lot of that lot already have second teams - weirdos).

Personal politics probably comes into it for me too. Going to the Wembley games and seeing the Union flag tifo and sitting with the crowd singing GSTQ gives me the boak and isn't something I would want any part of.

I don't think it could work because you wouldn't get the players on board. What if you're on the fringes of the roster and have to move to London then 2 weeks later you're cut?

It could work if the franchise had a US base and travelled to London for the games but how viable is that?

Not interested in a UK franchise to be honest. Just don't see it working. Most who already follow NFL already support a team, and the novelty would wear off with any new fans if the team aren't competitive and making it to post season each year IMO. I'd be more interested in the teams that came over here, especially if the texans came over.

I'm all over the Chiefs on this one. That Eagles defense is just bad.

I'd love to see what the Eagles offense does up against a decent defense. How do they respond when things aren't working? Fancy Justin Houston and Tamba Hali to have big games tonight.