Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Are you on drugs perchance?

subsidised free prescription most likely

can i get a reply from a semi-literate brit (a sweaty would be good) , who mis-understands the part about immigrants totally and already thinks the boarder between Scotland/ England has shut

Och, delightful. A anti-iimigration nat, living in England whilst at the same time moaning about them, and spouting all sorts of racist, nonsensicle bile.

Should Scotland vote for independence, may you remain down south... that'd be lovely.

anti-immigration nat ? racist bile? George and Nigel have a love child?

''may you remain down south'' oh the irony copyright andrew niell

tory of any nationality is imo a c**t

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am glad to see that the "yes" voters are very much taking the SNP line, which is to behave in such a condescending manner towards anyone who does not share their view, it is a free vote its not about who can SHOUT THE LOUDEST

One question what size of defeat will the SNP attempt to claim a "moral" victory, if they get 40% of the vote, 35%?

Spot on ecto!

I see. You were just trying to get a rise out of people so you could claim moral superiority. Should have guessed, I suppose.

Well, it didn't work so it's time to pretend that it did so someone does lay into you so you can claim you were right before we descend further into the shitfest.

I wonder where HB is. He'd be proud.

You've had reasonable answers to all your concerns and you've ignored them. You were asked to disprove any of the pro-independence assertions and you refused. Presumably because it's so easy to. If you get all teary eyed when you see a Union Jack or a bulldog, that's fine, but don't pretend you want the answers to the economics of the debate when evidently it doesn't concern you in the slightest.

subsidised free prescription most likely

can i get a reply from a semi-literate brit (a sweaty would be good) , who mis-understands the part about immigrants totally and already thinks the boarder between Scotland/ England has shut

anti-immigration nat ? racist bile? George and Nigel have a love child?

''may you remain down south'' oh the irony copyright andrew niell

tory of any nationality is imo a c**t

Ah right, so you just slam your face on the keyboard and hope for the best. Now I understand.

Ah right, so you just slam your face on the keyboard and hope for the best. Now I understand.

See, I honestly don't think you do and I really doubt it'd be worth trying to explain.

I'd say you should read through it again, but if you wouldn't listen to your teachers then what chance do I have. Not a grammar police thing. It's about comprehension.

See, I honestly don't think you do and I really doubt it'd be worth trying to explain.

I'd say you should read through it again, but if you wouldn't listen to your teachers then what chance do I have. Not a grammar police thing. It's about comprehension.

I know it's not a grmmar police thing, my grammar is exemplary. :thumsup2

I read what you said, you just repeated what I said back to me with a bit of your own material that didn't seem to pertain to anything which, I suppose, is something to do in leiu of having anything of any note to say in reply.

Are we having a wee spell of that brain damaged idiot PB and his aliases chatting to each other now?

Excellent.

Is it worse to argue with your own alias, or go around green dotting yourself?

List of UK Prime Ministers

The following UK Prime Ministers attended university at either Oxford or Cambridge. Thus, of the 55 Prime Ministers to date, 41 studied at Oxbridge, That's very near 4 in 5.
11 did not go to university, and only 3, Earl Russell, Neville Chamberlain, and Gordon Brown, went to other universities (Edinburgh, Birmingham and Edinburgh respectively).
PM PM dates College
Robert Walpole 1721-1742 King's, Cambridge
Earl of Wilmington 1742-1743 Trinity, Oxford
Henry Pelham 1743-1746 Hart Hall, Oxford
Earl of Bath 1746 Christ Church, Oxford
Duke of Newcastle 1754-1756 Clare, Cambridge
George Grenville 1763-1765 Christ Church, Oxford
Marquess of Rockingham 1765-1766, 1782 St John's, Cambridge
Earl of Chatham 1766-1768 Trinity, Oxford
Duke of Grafton 1768-1770 Peterhouse, Cambridge
Lord North 1770-1782 Trinity, Oxford
Earl of Shelburne 1782-1783 Christ Church, Oxford
Duke of Portland 1783, 1807-1809 Christ Church, Oxford
William Pitt 1783-1801, 1804-1806 Pembroke, Cambridge
Henry Addington 1801-1804 Brasenose, Oxford
Baron Grenville 1806-1807 Christ Church, Oxford
Spencer Perceval 1809-1812 Trinity, Cambridge
Earl of Liverpool 1812-1827 Christ Church, Oxford
George Canning 1827 Christ Church, Oxford
Viscount Goderich 1827-1828 St John's, Cambridge
Earl Grey 1830-1834 Trinity, Cambridge
Viscount Melbourne 1834 Trinity, Cambridge
Robert Peel 1841-1846 Christ Church, Oxford
Earl of Derby 1852, 1858-1859, 1866-1868 Christ Church, Oxford
Earl of Aberdeen 1852-1855 St John's, Cambridge
Viscount Palmerston 1855-1858, 1859-1865 St John's, Cambridge
William Gladstone 1868-1874, 1880-1885, 1886, 1892-1894 Christ Church, Oxford
Marquess of Salisbury 1885-1886, 1886-1892, 1895-1902 Christ Church, Oxford
Earl of Rosebery 1894-1895 Christ Church, Oxford
Arthur Balfour 1902-1905 Trinity, Cambridge
Henry Campbell-Bannerman 1905-1908 Trinity, Cambridge
Herbert Asquith 1908-1916 Balliol, Oxford
Stanley Baldwin 1923-1924, 1924-1929, 1935-1937 Trinity, Cambridge
Clement Atlee 1945-1951 University, Oxford
Anthony Eden 1955-1957 Christ Church, Oxford
Harold Macmillan 1957-1963 Balliol, Oxford
Alec Douglas-Home 1963-1964 Christ Church, Oxford
Harold Wilson 1964-1970, 1974-1976 Jesus, Oxford
Edward Heath 1970-1974 Balliol, Oxford
Margaret Thatcher 1979-1990 Somerville, Oxford
Tony Blair 1997-2007 St John's, Oxford
David Cameron 2010- Brasenose, Oxford
14 attended Cambridge (including 6 at Trinity), and 27 attended Oxford (including 14 at Christ Church). For more info on UK Prime Ministers, try Wikipedia.
List of Old Etonian Prime Ministers
19 UK Prime Ministers (including David Cameron) were educated at Eton as well as elsewhere. That's more than 1 in 3 in the history of the UK.
Robert Walpole 1721-1742
John Stuart, 3rd Earl of Bute 1762–1763
George Grenville, 1763-65
William Pitt the Elder, 1st Earl of Chatham 1766-1768
Frederick North, 2nd Earl of Guildford 1770–1782
William Grenville 1806–1807
George Canning 1827
Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington 1828–1830 & 1834
Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey 1830–1834
William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne 1834 & 1835–1841
Edward Smith-Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby 1852, 1858–1859 & 1866–1868
William Gladstone 1868–1874, 1880–1885, 1886 & 1892–1894
Robert Cecil, 3rd Marquess of Salisbury 1885–1886, 1886–1892 & 1895–1902
Archibald Primrose, 5th Earl of Rosebery 1894–1895
Arthur Balfour, 1st Earl of Balfour 1902-1905
Anthony Eden 1955–1957
Harold Macmillan, 1st Earl of Stockton 1957–1963
Alec Douglas-Home 1963-1964
David Cameron 2010-
It would be interesting to know how many UK Deputy Prime Ministers and Mayors of London as well as other high heads of Westminster (London) governments AND opposition party leaders have attended Oxford, Cambridge and Eton wouldn't it?
Example:
Nicholas William Peter "Nick" Clegg (born 7 January 1967) is a British politician who has been Deputy Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and Lord President of the Council (with special responsibility for political and constitutional reform) since 2010. He attended the University of Cambridge.
Edward Samuel Miliband (born 24 December 1969) is a British Labour Party politician, currently the Leader of the Labour Party and Leader of the Opposition. Born in London, Miliband graduated from Corpus Christi College, Oxford.
Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson (born 19 June 1964) is a British Conservative Party politician, who has served as Mayor of London since 2008. He was educated at the European School in Brussels, at Ashdown House School and at Eton College, where he was a King's Scholar. And graduated from Oxford.
Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!
Do you believe that Westminster (London Rule) is best for Scotland? If you do, maybe you ought to Think Again!

What about Nigel Falange?

The first point is interesting and prompted me to check something. Of the four First Ministers since devolution, only two of them went to proper Universities. McConnell went to Stirling and McLeish went to Heriot-Watt.

That said, of course over the longer-term, the intellectual elite of Scottish politics, most of which either resides within the SNP or with the other party's Scottish representatives or ex-pats in English constituencies at Westminster at present, will come from more highly regarded Universities. We'll probably see a lower propensity for private school pupils reaching the summit than with the UK as a whole, but the reason for tertiary stratification in politics is as much effect as cause. Post independence I'd still be expecting First Ministers mostly to come from Oxbridge, Glasgow, Edinburgh, St Andrews and maybe Aberdeen.

The ambitious aim for the academic summit and then they go for the political one. It's not a bad thing. As long as we're mindful not consciously to shut-off people simply because of their background, there's no good reason for vilifying political success aligning with academic.

As for the second point, there are a number of regards in which Holyrood is *better* than Westminster, but it has corroded and regressed significantly in the last 7 or so years. Debates are petty, simplistic, lazily partisan, superficial and very insular. And it's been intensified by every debate coming to be seen first and foremost through the prism of the constitutional question. We can only hope that the referendum can settle the matter and we can have some proper considered consensual politics going forward.

Are all Lib Dems elitist c**ts?

What about Nigel Falange?

This one?

SNN0707F-380_1039046a.jpg

Strangely enough, he has no connection to either Oxbridge or Eton as far as i am aware. However, I don't think that a UKIP leader becoming Prime Minister of the UK would be fair to Scotland either. :)

He is never going to be Prime Minister, or even get close to it, though.

If the Tories are the largest party in another hung parliament, and need a coalition partner, an emerging UKIP with potentially some MP's(likely from the Lincolnshire area), is the obvious choice. Farage will then likely become Deputy Prime Minister...

Terrifying thought.

I know it's not a grmmar police thing, my grammar is exemplary. :thumsup2

I read what you said, you just repeated what I said back to me with a bit of your own material that didn't seem to pertain to anything which, I suppose, is something to do in leiu of having anything of any note to say in reply.

wow, i really gave you too much credit.

How does me saying i find living in a very multi-cultural place makes it tolerable to live here suggest I'm an anti-immigration type ?

Why does pointing out the place is surrounded by a sea of tories make me an anti-english racist?

City Council have a single Tory councillor, the County Council based in the same city , across the road is Tory. Every surrounding constituancy is Tory.

f**k, i doubt coloured illustrations would help.

still , must give you credit for trying to fit 'in lieu' in a new as yet unused context in a sentence of rare quality.

and JockMacAbre ! phnarr phnarr

not sure if you're* the exception that proves it or just typical. Not all Unionists are thick, just most thick people are Unionist.* That is.

and it's not condescention, it's absolute contempt :thumsup2

*Seriously think you might be right that farage may be the next deputy PM of the rUK/ uk.

* :whistle

How does me saying i find living in a very multi-cultural place makes it tolerable to live here suggest I'm an anti-immigration type ?

The wasn't really what I was going on about, it's what preceded it that alarmed me.. Namely "The press will also remain anti Scots, as we're easier to insult than the other foriegners who blight englandshire, full of stories about tartan scroungers, without the bigot brothers tosh they replace it with in their northern brittish editions."... Now, if I've taken that comment out of context in any way, explain why, and I'll be happy to rescind my comment. Besides, I don't believe the Scots are treated as bad as you seem to make out, and if you genuinely feel that way, why the f**k do you live there?

Any I'll put on record right now that I am neither a unionist or a nationalist. For the first time in my life, I'm actually on the fence about something. I lived in England, have a half-English daughter, have English friends and a part of me doesn't want to see the union broken, but at the same time, I can also see the wealth of benefits and the greater degree of democracy that would exist in Scotland should she become independent.

Where you got the idea that I'm a unionist is beyond me any way.

If the Tories are the largest party in another hung parliament, and need a coalition partner, an emerging UKIP with potentially some MP's(likely from the Lincolnshire area), is the obvious choice. Farage will then likely become Deputy Prime Minister...

Terrifying thought.

Yeah I've thought about that too.

Hopefully it won't matter to us by then anyway.

The prospect of a Tory/UKIP coalition should be enough to make everyone in Scotland vote yes imo.

Archived