North Korea ...again

One of these days, the world will have to make a massive apology to a country once called Korea.

I am sure you know your history but for those that don't, after the Second World War, Germany was split in two and families were separated.  Many people elsewhere said "I don't give a shit. You started the war - you deserve whatever you get."
Similarly a lot of people were not too bothered that two atom bombs were dropped on Japan.
(Although a quarter of those killed in Hiroshima were Koreans who had not chosen to be there)

How does Korea come into this?  Bad location basically.  The Russians wanted a piece of Japan and the USA said No.  "We fought the Japanese for nearly four years - and you fought them for less than four days!"  On this point I tend to agree with Americans.

However, as a fob, the Americans agreed to split Korea - because it was nearby and hey nobody knew much about it.

So lovely Joseph Stalin (who kind of accidentally killed millions of his own people and Poles and others and what have you) got North Korea and the USA took charge of South Korea.
Both halves were pretty dreadful.  In the North, if you said Kim Il Sung was having a bad hair day - you went to prison - or you were shot.
In the South, if you said Kim Il Sung was having a good hair day (unlikely but bear with me) then you went to prison - or you were shot.
Somebody in the South went to prison for saying the North was better at growing pumpkins!  Personally, I have no wish to ever grow pumpkins at all.

Later on, around the time of the Seoul Olympics and they abandoned dictatorship - the South improved.
I am sure there are people who can tell me how awful the South is - but I seriously doubt it is as bad as the North.

Anyway, back to North Korea.
It's shit.
Public executions are commonplace and compulsory to watch.
Nobody trusts anyone - not even their own family.

Famine happens.
Most corrupt country in the world (or joint first with Somalia - if you insist)
Everything its government does is to ensure those in power stay in power and don't stand trial for war crimes.

Yes.  North Korea is a monster but the USA is the Dr Frankenstein that created it.

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

One of these days, the world will have to make a massive apology to a country once called Korea.

I am sure you know your history but for those that don't, after the Second World War, Germany was split in two and families were separated.  Many people elsewhere said "I don't give a shit. You started the war - you deserve whatever you get."
Similarly a lot of people were not too bothered that two atom bombs were dropped on Japan.
(Although a quarter of those killed in Hiroshima were Koreans who had not chosen to be there)

How does Korea come into this?  Bad location basically.  The Russians wanted a piece of Japan and the USA said No.  "We fought the Japanese for nearly four years - and you fought them for less than four days!"  On this point I tend to agree with Americans.

However, as a fob, the Americans agreed to split Korea - because it was nearby and hey nobody knew much about it.

So lovely Joseph Stalin (who kind of accidentally killed millions of his own people and Poles and others and what have you) got North Korea and the USA took charge of South Korea.
Both halves were pretty dreadful.  In the North, if you said Kim Il Sung was having a bad hair day - you went to prison - or you were shot.
In the South, if you said Kim Il Sung was having a good hair day (unlikely but bear with me) then you went to prison - or you were shot.
Somebody in the South went to prison for saying the North was better at growing pumpkins!  Personally, I have no wish to ever grow pumpkins at all.

Later on, around the time of the Seoul Olympics and they abandoned dictatorship - the South improved.
I am sure there are people who can tell me how awful the South is - but I seriously doubt it is as bad as the North.

It's shit.

Famine happens.
Everything its government does is to ensure those in power stay in power and don't stand trial for war crimes.

Yes.  North Korea is a monster but the USA is the Dr Frankenstein that created it.

Don't forget the floods.  America bombed the dams in Korea to ruin crops, land and settlements.  The legacy of famine and starvation is one that the Americans started.  It's a war crime and Nazis at Nuremberg were executed for the same thing.

Or the time America negotiated a truce with North Korea, ending the proliferation of nuclear weapons in the region, until Dubya took office and included them in his axis of evil.  So North Korea started developing nukes again.

Or the time America ran simulated nuclear attack programs near to the North Korean border.......oh, this one's still happening.

North Korea is one fucked up disaster of a country.  But there's two sides to the story.

Edited by Shades75

Well they've announced they're going to release their plans for a missile launch towards Guam in the next couple of days. 

What's the bets that they dinghy it at the 11th hour, thus reinforcing their image (in North Korea at least) as promoters of peace and harmony?

On 8/9/2017 at 21:22, Fullerene said:

It's shit.

Famine happens.

North Korea is a monster but the USA is the Dr Frankenstein that created it.

Umm, doesn't all that say that it was the Soviets that created it?

14 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Umm, doesn't all that say that it was the Soviets that created it?

It is the Stalinist system that made it the awful place it was and still is but that would not have happened if the Americans had not suggested dividing Korea in the first place.

It is worth a thought that if Japan had surrendered a week earlier, before the Soviets got involved - then maybe Korea would not have been divided in the first place.

Obviously that is alternative history - but all the same. 

It is the Stalinist system that made it the awful place it was and still is but that would not have happened if the Americans had not suggested dividing Korea in the first place.
It is worth a thought that if Japan had surrendered a week earlier, before the Soviets got involved - then maybe Korea would not have been divided in the first place.
Obviously that is alternative history - but all the same. 

Or they hadn't bombed Peril Harbour etc etc etc