North Korea ...again

You get the feeling the American ego demands it. They'd rather wipe out half a continent than be made to look weak.

You are aware other than South Korea, the two other countries bordering North Korea are Russia and China? America will be doing nothing of the sort.

5 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

You are aware other than South Korea, the two other countries bordering North Korea are Russia and China? America will be doing nothing of the sort.

Japan isn't exactly a million miles away either. The nukey stuff does linger a bit and Allies won't be keen. There's also the point that the US wouldn't need to 'nuke' NK, they have enough conventional capability like TLAM. If there is a nuke fired, its going to be the fat kid, the old nutter doesn't need to, even in retaliation. He would have the moral support of pretty much the whole world too, China couldn't support anyone launching a nuke if they want to be friends (and trade) with the rest of the world, Kim is sadly reaching the 'put up or shut up' stages.

Scary times but on the bright side, a lot of superheroes get their powers from nuclear accidents etc, we might all turn into X men types, what power would you want ? I'd probably get my sloth like laziness enhanced, Slothboy won't be coming to the rescue in a hurry. -_-

5 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Japan isn't exactly a million miles away either. The nukey stuff does linger a bit and Allies won't be keen. There's also the point that the US wouldn't need to 'nuke' NK, they have enough conventional capability like TLAM. If there is a nuke fired, its going to be the fat kid, the old nutter doesn't need to, even in retaliation. He would have the moral support of pretty much the whole world too, China couldn't support anyone launching a nuke if they want to be friends (and trade) with the rest of the world, Kim is sadly reaching the 'put up or shut up' stages.

Scary times but on the bright side, a lot of superheroes get their powers from nuclear accidents etc, we might all turn into X men types, what power would you want ? I'd probably get my sloth like laziness enhanced, Slothboy won't be coming to the rescue in a hurry. -_-

The US can just MOAB NK and use conventional missile strikes

2 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

The US can just MOAB NK and use conventional missile strikes

I think the MOAB's are more bunker busters, they just need to Tomahawk the crap out of the infrastructure. Any 'regime change' might be problematic though, the Chinese might be happy to let the Yanks crack on and flatten the place but I doubt it would work out well for the South Koreans. It'll either be the fat kid or a Chinese puppet. The problem is if the fat kid targets SK out of revenge.  

4 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

Latest tweets from the donald, seems the US is refusing to back down

I'm not sure the US can stop trading with China, the Chinese own half of America now or at least own the US debts.

First time I've agreed with Steve Bannon, though he's exaggerating a bit. 

Top White House official Steve Bannon said Wednesday that there is “no military solution” to North Korea.

“Forget it,” he told American Prospect magazine in an August 16 interview. “Until somebody solves the part of the equation that shows me that ten million people in Seoul don’t die in the first 30 minutes from conventional weapons, I don’t know what you’re talking about, there’s no military solution here, they got us.”

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/8/17/16162332/bannon-american-prospect-north-korea-military

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I reckon Trump is as unstable as Kim.  Despite the shroud of secrecy surrounding NK I would be surprised in any regime if there's no mechanisms by which Kim could be stopped from doing something crazy.

Yeah but Trump being crazy is not enough to launch his missiles.  He needs the co-operation of a lot of people who agree that the missiles should be launched.

Kim is a dictator who kills anyone who is a threat to his power including his uncle and his half-brother.  In a country where blind obedience is demanded - there is a risk that the mechanism would be there but no individual would have the courage to use it.

I never knew POTUS was a Dee? :rolleyes:

Anyway, this is all getting a bit silly now. Why doesn't somebody look out that peace treaty from 1953, dust it down, get it signed and make a few apologies and then get on with things from that point?

Just now, Fullerene said:

Yeah but Trump being crazy is not enough to launch his missiles.  He needs the co-operation of a lot of people who agree that the missiles should be launched.

Kim is a dictator who kills anyone who is a threat to his power including his uncle and his half-brother.  In a country where blind obedience is demanded - there is a risk that the mechanism would be there but no individual would have the courage to use it.

The American line of command on nukes is by necessity very brief. The only way to stop a direct order from the President to launch would be to get his Cabinet to rule him unfit for duty. Hard to organise in minutes. We have no idea whether Kim is making the decisions in NK, he could be a puppet. You would have thought the Chinese would have people placed high up and capable of disrupting if things got out of hand though.

6 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Fucking hell. What a moron.

Stopping trade with China FFS.

It does sound like a bit of an empty threat, if the Yanks are wanting to o pretty much anything involving giving NK a twatting it would have to be with Chinese agreement. Nothing like buttering them up with a veiled threat. Top Trumping by King Donald. :lol: