FIFA 14

KeeperDee

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does the early access to the FUT webapp work? If you only start with a team of bronze players and you can only purchase packs in the app with in game points and not currency (MS pts) how can you possibly take advantage of the early access?

With this new focus on playing passing football through the midfield and skilled dribbling being more useful than pure pace, Pirlo is an absolute god. Will be interesting to see how the demo compares to the beta.

How does the early access to the FUT webapp work? If you only start with a team of bronze players and you can only purchase packs in the app with in game points and not currency (MS pts) how can you possibly take advantage of the early access?

The daily gifts will pump coins and silver/gold items into the market and then people will start buying packs once they start making coins from trading. There is so much oppertunity for profit during this stage, especially now that consumable piles are unlimited, I can't wait to get stuck in.

With this new focus on playing passing football through the midfield and skilled dribbling being more useful than pure pace, Pirlo is an absolute god. Will be interesting to see how the demo compares to the beta.

This sounds really good. I always try to play possession football and pull off lots of one-twos and chipped passes around the box without much success, so hopefully this game suits my style a bit better.

What did you think of the beta overall, then?

Returning players got 3 gold starter placks last year to start the trading going. One way of making alot of coins is to bulk buy lots of contracts for 150, as they are useless on the web app. Then once the game starts start punting the contracts.

ps web app starts on sunday

This sounds really good. I always try to play possession football and pull off lots of one-twos and chipped passes around the box without much success, so hopefully this game suits my style a bit better.

I'm usually the same, the problem I find with 13 though is that if you're playing against the computer, if you're about 30 yards out with the ball keeping it, they just settle into one defensive bank of about 8 men so even if you draw one or two out and attempt the killer ball, it gets cut out every time, so the only that I can score is by a counter. I hope it's changed.

Overall, I would say it has improved for the better. The changes I do like are the generally slower tempo of the game, pace is less of a determining attribute than it was in 13. However, strength is now quite important so already fast and strong players like Ronaldo are extremely effective against defenders. The play is quite lethargic at times, I've been rewarded for playing quick one touch football, but with the lesser teams that's not always possible and it becomes more of a chore to play with them as they are slow to change direction, aren't as adept at dribbling or passing so I can see an over reliance on five star teams.

The weather dramatically effects play, rain and snow are really difficult to play in, it seems like the players are trudging about in mud at times, which is not so fun.

Offensive runs from the ai controlled players are much improved, they curve runs to beat the offside trap and will leave the ball if in an offside position which allows another player to receive the pass. The downside to this is the defending ai hasn't been improved as much and so it's quite easy to be exploited by good players. The same problems of full backs that aren't involved in play but playing the opponent onside is still prevalent, and the default defensive lines for most of the teams I played with seemed to be extremely high up the pitch. This cause problems as chipped through balls are very over powered again this year, possibly even more so than in Fifa 13. Expect to see loads of players exploiting this if it isn't changed in time for release. The one saving grace is players aren't as quick so defenders can often get back in time to prevent a straight run on goal.

Sliding tackles are greatly improved this year and it's now possible to cleanly tackle a striker that is bearing down on goal from behind as defenders will curve their body shape and put the tackling leg in front of the striker, which also means they get up to mop up danger as well, rather than just knocking the ball straight to another attacker.

In terms of shooting, near post finishes are a lot harder this time as the keeper tends to not be so easily beaten their and the changes to the shooting mechanics mean you don't always strike a perfect shot. Finesse shots seem to be more effective in this game, similar to Fifa 12 and chip shots are again easier like they were a few Fifa's ago, although it's usually only if the keeper is running out or the ball is bouncing when struck. One thing that has changed, leading to me scoring some spectacular goals, but I'm not altogether happy with as it's prone to abuse, is the long range shooting. If you use assisted shooting when playing Fifa, virtually any midfielder if given time and space inside the opponents half can really cause problems to the keeper as shots quite often swerve and dip at the last minute meaning keepers are quite late to diving to these. I scored a couple of peaches in one game when I was testing it out. Wesley sneijder shot from the far right of the box after one touch and the ball went up, dipped and swerved into the far top corner at the last second. I also scored with Robben in the same game from at least 35 yards with the outside of the left boot after a similarly decent first touch and it dipped the keeper who was near the penalty spot and looked set for hitting the bar or going over at the top right corner but due to the dip and swerve of the ball it ended up hitting the net in just off centre. I have had many goals from 30 yards+ which look like trundlers but dip and skid off the surface and end up in goal. Can see this infuriating a lot of people!

Another improvement I like is the increased potency from crosses. I felt in Fifa 13 that it was hard to score from crosses into the box unless I had a clear header as it was impossible to beat a well positioned defender in the air. This time the game takes into account the momentum of an attacking player and it's possible to score some really good and powerful headers. The crossing is changed much the same as shooting as the ball dips and more often than not stays powerful, rather than just being a floated cross that is easy to deal with. You can even beat the keeper in the air occasionally this time round! I should warn you though, corners are now very easy to score from so conceding cheap corners is quite a risk now.

So, I think I will like most of the changes this year with regards to the change in tempo and a focus more on passing and creating good chances, compared to the pace that was so important in 13. There are annoying and over powered ways to score, particularly for assisted players with the improvements in attacking ability and intelligence. I reckon players that aren't so great at defending will very quickly become frustrated with this, although skill moves have really been toned down in their effectiveness so we'll see less of those teams on UT I think. Co-op seasons is also good fun, as that was the mode I was testing, but it will become so much better being able to play with friends than with strangers online. It also seems that this game mode can also be played single player, which I'm hoping is just for the purposes of the beta as we already have a solo seasons mode and playing with a partner and coming up against one guy is a major disadvantage. It can be changed in the matchmaking settings, but it's something I hope is taken out of the final build.

A final disclaimer; I've been talking up the new tempo of the game and the way it's now rewarding to dictate the play, but a large amount of the testers were really complaining about this change, so don't be surprised if they alter things before release and we end up with another game we're pace and sweaty goals are abundant.

I forgot to say, but I posted the above on my mobile so it's probably a bit of a structural mess but it should give you a better idea of how the game is going to feel when it's finished. They still have a number of freezing bugs to fix as well as missing badges and kits!

Archived