The Universe

The Universe constantly expands to it's limit the utterly contracts in on itself until every single thing and every single place in every single point of time is a single atom. Then it explodes outward again (The Big Bang) and the process repeats again for infinity. For all we know this could have happened 2357733 billion times or 3 times. We'll never know and it's irrelevant as is time to the universe

The Universe constantly expands to it's limit the utterly contracts in on itself until every single thing and every single place in every single point of time is a single atom. Then it explodes outward again (The Big Bang) and the process repeats again for infinity. For all we know this could have happened 2357733 billion times or 3 times. We'll never know and it's irrelevant as is time to the universe

That's just blew my mind.

😯

Shame that. I worked out a full proof way of harnessing the power of dark energy to fuel faster than light travel and posted it in the wasteland. Totally forgotten what it was now.  :(

Never mind.  I took a copy and used it to visit Alpha Centauri.

Unfortunately, while I was leaving to return to Earth, I kind of think I left those notes behind.  Oops.  Sorry. :1eye

The Big Crunch was vividly displayed in an episode of Red Dwarf in which not only does space contract but time reverses, involving a lot of scenes where people spew up in pint glasses, hand it over to the barman who pays them and the pumps such it back up. Stephen Hawkings came up with the theory but has since disowned it as the accelerating expansion of the Universe apparently rules it out.

Never mind. I took a copy and used it to visit Alpha Centauri.

Unfortunately, while I was leaving to return to Earth, I kind of think I left those notes behind. Oops. Sorry. :1eye

Never mind, it all sounds a bit scary out there. Hope you enjoyed the trip. Any pics?

The Big Crunch was vividly displayed in an episode of Red Dwarf in which not only does space contract but time reverses, involving a lot of scenes where people spew up in pint glasses, hand it over to the barman who pays them and the pumps such it back up. Stephen Hawkings came up with the theory but has since disowned it as the accelerating expansion of the Universe apparently rules it out.

It does indeed.  This guy explains it really well, even if that maths stuff goes a little over my head:

The Universe constantly expands to it's limit the utterly contracts in on itself until every single thing and every single place in every single point of time is a single atom. Then it explodes outward again (The Big Bang) 

This theory was given wide currency in the 90s but the use of Type 1A as "standard candles" (i.e. you could work out their absolute brightness thus deduce their distance) meant scientists were able to demonstrate with a high degree of certainty that the universe's acceleration was speeding up. This is what is known colloquially as "dark energy". IIRC there is another problem with this theory, in the primordial universe, gravity did not exist. But it would exist inside a black hole, if the universe was to collapse back into itself it would form a black hole. 

The specifics that theorists keep changing, aye ?

Just saying baws isn't very interesting. Come up with why it's baws, or even an alternative theory would be nice. Otherwise f**k off and annoy some other forum you've no interest in.

The specifics that theorists keep changing, aye ?

New forum same old trolling simpleton.

You have tried to hump an interesting thread quite a few times with your trolling shite

Why don't you get the attention you crave off a train by standing on a level crossing and do us all a favour?

At best guess, the Universe is 96 billion light years across.  Meaning that, travelling at 186,000 miles PER SECOND, it would take you 96 billion light years to traverse it.

And at that speed it would take you 100,000 years to cross our Milky Way galaxy.

Betelgeuse is 642.5 light years away.

Meaning that when you look up at the Orion constellation and see it's orange glow, you're seeing light from around 1374, when Edward III was monarch.  Betelgeuse could have went supernova in 1375 and we wouldn't know about it until next year.

I can't remember any detail but I did read that there was/is a 'nearby' star which 'they' reckon could go supernova any day (or millenium) now and when it does, we are toast.    Yes, even though it's miles away.    Can't be arsed researching it, we're all going to die anyway, eventually. :thumsup2

I can't remember any detail but I did read that there was/is a 'nearby' star which 'they' reckon could go supernova any day (or millenium) now and when it does, we are toast. Yes, even though it's miles away. Can't be arsed researching it, we're all going to die anyway, eventually. :thumsup2

I hope it's today. I've got a c**t of a hangover and can't be fucked.

This theory was given wide currency in the 90s but the use of Type 1A as "standard candles" (i.e. you could work out their absolute brightness thus deduce their distance) meant scientists were able to demonstrate with a high degree of certainty that the universe's acceleration was speeding up. This is what is known colloquially as "dark energy". IIRC there is another problem with this theory, in the primordial universe, gravity did not exist. But it would exist inside a black hole, if the universe was to collapse back into itself it would form a black hole.

Given the unknown nature of dark energy, is there anything to suggest it couldn't stop, or reverse the expansion of the universe?