The Universe

Fucking hell, what a show. Thought it was fucked when only one engine was burning, then it switches off, starts falling, does a belly flop to use the air to slow down, fires all three up again for landing, then total disintegration. Excellent stuff, proper experimental shit. 

Edited by welshbairn

Man on Star at Night saying that our Solar System is accelerating (getting pulled) towards another part of the Milky Way. Perhaps the aliens can't be arsed taking millennia coming to visit us when they can pull us over to visit them. :huh:

Getting routine now but this SpaceX Falcon 9 launch is worth a watch because they follow the stage 1 booster all the way from separation to landing back on earth, mainly because they're not allowed to show anything about the spy gadget they're launching from stage 2.

Last ten minutes..

https://www.spacex.com/launches/index.html

Yeah, cloudy here too. Paisley Observatory had planned to do a live stream around 1700 if it was dry, even if it was cloudy but it was pissing down. The live stream then consisted of the custodian talking about the concurrence and taking a QnA.

Typically, the sky has been clear as a bell since around 2000ish.

Just been out watching it (5:50pm here). Clear skies after being cloudy all week. Tbh; I'm not sure I would've noticed it if I hadn't known to look. Next one is in 2080 but I doubt I'll be around for that.

While we were outside; Mrs Shotgun did a decent impression of Mrs  @Shandön Par though.

Her: "Which is that one?" (pointing South-East towards Mars.)
Me: (Without looking round.) That's the moon.
Her: Really? No, it can't be.

The moon was literally about a thumb's width away, 50% full.

Edited by Shotgun

14 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Next one is in 2080

That's another pishy one, I'm waiting for Christmas Day 2874, that's a proper one. Last one was March 6th, 372. Should have my ocular implants with turbo zoom fitted by then, so no need for fannying about binoculars and stuff. I could always quantum shift a bit closer I suppose, but it wouldn't be the same, the closer you get, the less it means, just two big gas balls in space hundreds of millions of miles apart, only makes sense from Earth. 

Edited by welshbairn

4 hours ago, dorlomin said:

Updated

saturn.thumb.jpg.ecb08c8389f0bf164efe3f2bb6ae4cbe.jpg

Anyway 

Anyone trying to find Jupiter or any object in the sky, Stellarium is free and is a great tool for navigating around the stars. 

http://stellarium.org/

I was using Starlight. According to that, the paths of the planets were below the line of my horizon!