The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

Nothing worse than when a big film releases about 5 trailers and you can essentially piece together a large part of the movie. No idea why they think its a good idea, 2 trailers at best. One showing very little to get you excited for it then a proper standard trailer, that'd do me.

But in saying that

If you clicked me you're a greedy Gus

Edited by 11thHour

I quite like following the spoilers, it's been good fun. I don't do that for any other film or franchise - the last Bond film I followed the spoilers for ahead of release was Tomorrow Never Dies - but it's a different kind of experience. The buzz lasts longer about it.

So when I see the film on the 19th there will be few surprises for me but I'd prefer that than to seeing a film I wanted to love but ended up hating because my expectations weren't met. The prequels were a difficult set of films all in all and I know of folk that have refused to watch any of them because they have friends disappointed by them who said steer clear.

John Boyega made a comment this week that he wasn't sure what fan reaction would be. I don't think that has anything to do with the film's quality, more the expectations of a vast and diverse fanbase.

I don't think we know enough to be moaning about the trailers anyways. For the number that there's been, they're still not giving an awful lot away. Seems much ado about nothing.

agreed, the trailers so far have shown us #

droids

force users

lightsabers

x-wings

millenium falcon (fucking dead cert to be in the film)

han solo

princess leia

chewie

awesome action scenes

now given the fact that its a star wars film set after return of the jedi, and that we know the cast, the spoilers really havent gave anything away that we wouldnt have guessed anyway

What will be interesting to see is how the people who read the Expanded Universe books about the adventures of Han, Luke and Leia (and their offspring) will react to TFA. Some of those books were good, others a shameful waste of trees. I feel it is good Disney are not tied to those events though, but that doesn't mean they can't take ideas from them. But it will mean a fair slice of the fanbase will have preconceived ideas about how Episode 7 should play out.

I'll put the following in a spoiler tag as it's a comment about the EU and the rumoured state of the Galaxy Far Far Away in TFA... as such it's not recommended clicking for anyone staying spoiler-free.

From what I have read, the SW universe in TFA is almost the exact opposite of what the EU suggested in terms of how the galaxy is and what the main characters are up to.

That will make no sense to anyone who has not read those books!

Edited by cmontheloknow

What will be interesting to see is how the people who read the Expanded Universe books about the adventures of Han, Luke and Leia (and their offspring) will react to TFA. Some of those books were good, others a shameful waste of trees. I feel it is good Disney are not tied to those events though, but that doesn't mean they can't take ideas from them. But it will mean a fair slice of the fanbase will have preconceived ideas about how Episode 7 should play out.

I'll put the following in a spoiler tag as it's a comment about the EU and the rumoured state of the Galaxy Far Far Away in TFA... as such it's not recommended clicking for anyone staying spoiler-free.

From what I have read, the SW universe in TFA is almost the exact opposite of what the EU suggested in terms of how the galaxy is and what the main characters are up to.

That will make no sense to anyone who has not read those books!

some of the EU was utter tripe, others were quite good, the Thrawn trilogy was absolutely fantastic and one i was desperate to see made into film, the legacy of the force series were pretty good, not top notch but good nevertheless and i have a shifty feeling that some of that series will be used in TFA

I rather enjoyed the expanded universe. The ideas are pretty good, even if the writing wasn't.

Thrawn was a brilliant villain. Along with the whole idea of the maw, and it's superweapons.

That and the fact the rebel alliance couldn't govern for shit.

• 2 weeks later...

Lost track of how many TV spots there have been but here's a new Chinese trailer - lots of new shots and dialogue (in both cases of scenes and scenarios already seen) so avoid if you're staying unspoiled.

https://youtu.be/ECYgD7zylrE?t=17s

Edited by cmontheloknow

Watched it to see what the fuss was about and regretted it a wee bit as it gives quite a bit away. Mao jackets were still very much in vogue when the first one came out and Yugoslav Partizan films was about as good as it got at the cinema for them so the target audience maybe needs to be shown a bit more of the action to get them to show up.

Not sure there's much worry about people turning up, already records smashed for advanced sales!

I was referring only to China and Disney have several billion to recoup on the purchase of the whole franchise, so like George Lucas will be chasing after every last possible revenue stream on this.