The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

• 1 month later...

I loved it. The film was never going to keep everyone happy and if you didn’t like 7 or 8 you’ll probably not like this. I think it hammers home a lot of the overall messages that have always been there in Star Wars about family / hope / generations etc and it does a good job of being an ending to the sequel trilogy as well as the entire saga.

Mad that people are now praising the prequels and saying they’re massively better than this trilogy. I grew up on the prequels and am a bigger fan of them than most and even I think that’s fucking nonsense.

As much as I’d have liked this trilogy to have been from the vision of George Lucas the alleged plans he had for a new trilogy sounded batshit crazy.

I enjoyed the film too. Fan service all over the place and it doesn't seem to stop at any point for reflection.

Thought the first hour or so was really strong, middle part sags a bit and the ending was satisfying. 

15 minutes ago, sonsism said:

Mad that people are now praising the prequels and saying they’re massively better than this trilogy. I grew up on the prequels and am a bigger fan of them than most and even I think that’s fucking nonsense.

99% of the people who praise the prequels to high heaven are Reddit posters who love that they're so meme-worthy.

hellothere.jpg.0904a794177ade9088e62cc9b06d520d.jpg

(I actually love the prequels anyway)

Enjoyed the film but felt it was way too rushed. The first act couldve been an entire film on them finding X going to Y to look for Z. Last 3 mins was very good although Im am not 100% convinced by the ending.

7/10 from me for this one.

The rumoured MCU style films for KOTOR era Star Wars has me excited though

Rey entering the wet t-shirt contest at the Mos Eisley cantina has set back the cause of feminism by at least 40 years. Thought Chewbacca taking a dump on Palpatine from a high height to save the day at the end was a bit much, and could have lived without that flashback scene of Yoda and Maz Kanata. How on earth did they get a PG-13 rating.

I loved it. It does jump about quickly, but after the time they wasted in the previous two, I can understand that.

There are some absolutely brilliant sequences, and some lovely callbacks that aren’t forced in like in the other films in this trilogy.

It’s also far better than any of the prequels.

Also

Wedge Fucking Antilles!!!!!!

Film completely collapses on itself when it centres around deleted footage of Carrie Fisher from the previous “new” movies for some of the plot driving sequences. Can’t really be helped since she passed away but that’s probably the biggest glaring issue with the film; that, and it’s seeming desire to ignore/retcon the events of TLJ.

Quite enjoyed it.  I came away with only one real complaint.

Spoiler

I couldn't take some of the one to one scenes seriously due to how they were shot. Took it for granted with Leia but in some of the other scenes it looked like you couldn't get the two actors in the same room.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

It was fine. I guess that's my problem though. Star Wars was never supposed to be just fine. It was always transcendent to me, this just wasn't anywhere near the mark. I never read the thrawn trilogy, but from what I hear of it, they'd have been better off using it.

I was not emotionally ready for the Han scene.

Enjoyed it, not the best but still worthy of going to see

i thought they could have brought palpatine back a little more surprisingly, throwing him in right at the start is a let down, plus emperor or not, strongest sith or not, that while force lightening hitting ships in the sky is bollocks lol

I did however enjoy the fighter scenes, i knew it was going to happen but the sight of that armada of ships coming to save the day at the end almost gets you out your seat shouting "get in there" (kinda like endgame when cap hears "on your left") but still the ship scenes were brilliant, including the fighting on the hull of the command ship