Car advice

11 hours ago, wellfan09 said:

Anyone got any experience with motorpoint and more specifically their £99 delivery/transfer fee? Does this get taken off the price of the car if you decide to go ahead and buy it?

I walked away from a deal when they tried to add that to the final price,they add it in as an extra.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought a new car last week an Astra 2016 new style,lovely car with excellent spec and in excellent condition.Then tonight i was in the office doing some paperwork and saw a supervisor coming from the car park with one of the office staff.Yep you guessed it the guy from the office had reversed into my new car.

Edited by keithgy

You've been ripped off m9. I'm not an expert but 2016 doesn't seem like a new car. At least you noticed who did it. 

Some benchod crashed into mine at a works do and drove off. Luckily the panel pushed back in and I managed to t-cut most of it out.

Edited by D.A.F.C

• 2 weeks later...

My son has not long turned 17. Long story why he needs a car, but he does. In the midst of a middle class, just tell him to get the fucking bus, anxiety crisis - what car should we get him?

A 15yo £500 chug a bug private buy out the classifieds seems culpable of delict.

On a £3000 motor it seems like we’re putting 2/3 of that sum into the dealers pocket.

And then £5000 or so buys a nearly new Aygo bean can type thing from our dear departed friend Mr A Clark. But then that seems a lot of money for a bean can.

My first car, which I bought myself in 1989, was an insurance written off mildly scorched 1979 Capri 1.6GL (in Calypso Blue) with a dodgy UV joint in the steering rack for £175. GLX976T. I’d be horrified to think of my only son and heir now running around in a similar death trap.

And then there’s the inevitable insurance once he’s passed the driving test and is allowed out on his own.

Any PnBrs have any experience of a similar situation? Any advice?

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

My son has not long turned 17. Long story why he needs a car, but he does. In the midst of a middle class, just tell him to get the fucking bus, anxiety crisis - what car should we get him?

A 15yo £500 chug a bug private buy out the classifieds seems culpable of delict.

On a £3000 motor it seems like we’re putting 2/3 of that sum into the dealers pocket.

And then £5000 or so buys a nearly new Aygo bean can type thing from our dear departed friend Mr A Clark. But then that seems a lot of money for a bean can.

My first car, which I bought myself in 1989, was an insurance written off mildly scorched 1979 Capri 1.6GL (in Calypso Blue) with a dodgy UV joint in the steering rack for £175. GLX976T. I’d be horrified to think of my only son and heir now running around in a similar death trap.

And then there’s the inevitable insurance once he’s passed the driving test and is allowed out on his own.

Any PnBrs have any experience of a similar situation? Any advice?

Top tip. If he only needs it to get from A to B, buy a cheap wee van. Corsa or similar. Van insurance can be silly cheap. After a couple of years no claims it will be less painful to get something he wants.

Don’t know where you are based about but you could have a look at balgoniemotors.com. They are based in fife and have a few reasonably priced motors that won’t break the bank, ie, fiestas, corsas et al. If they are not in your area then try the autotrader website .

Does anyone have a rough idea how much I should be looking at for a timing belt replacement on a 1.6 Vauxhall Astra 2007 (I'm presuming it varies with car)?
My usual go to mechanic has packed up and moved abroad and I don't want to walk into a garage I've never used before and get ripped off. Google throws up figures from £150 - £600 but I'd rather try get something a bit more precise before nipping into garages.

Does anyone have a rough idea how much I should be looking at for a timing belt replacement on a 1.6 Vauxhall Astra 2007 (I'm presuming it varies with car)?
My usual go to mechanic has packed up and moved abroad and I don't want to walk into a garage I've never used before and get ripped off. Google throws up figures from £150 - £600 but I'd rather try get something a bit more precise before nipping into garages.

Think I was quoted 300 for a Matiz a few years ago. Shitty car but really hard to get at unless you take the whole thing apart. Got my mate to do it instead who fucked it so I gave up and phoned the scrappie.

Are you absolutely certain it’s the timing belt?

19 minutes ago, kev23 said:

Vauxhall Fixed Price Repairs is your friend: https://www.vauxhall.co.uk/owners/repairs-and-breakdowns/repairs/fixed-price-repairs.html

£239 for a cam belt change...I'd check if you also need to change the water pump at the same time though...

6 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Are you absolutely certain it’s the timing belt?

The belts probably OK.

He's probably thinking about replacing it because it's due replacing according to the service schedule.

On 6/16/2018 at 00:35, alta-pete said:

My 19 yo drives a 16 year Polo which is worth nothing but I kept it for her when I changed cars a few years ago.  It's on its last legs and, as my son is the same age as yours, I'm facing the same dilemma.  My likely option will be to get something like a 1.0 litre Polo or Corsa  for about £750 with 40-50,000 miles on the clock.

Insurance is a bit of a minefield.  Fully comp is cheaper than 3rd party, curiously enough.  I went down the route of higher excess/lower premium on the basis that I'd not make a claim for the car if she damaged it.  You can also insure your excess but I didn't look in to this but it may be worth considering.

1 hour ago, kev23 said:

I got a big fancy socket set from Halfords and now do all the repairs to my motors myself.

4764C0E2-5FFC-4D05-A17F-DC1A867D296F.gif

Vauxhall Fixed Price Repairs is your friend: https://www.vauxhall.co.uk/owners/repairs-and-breakdowns/repairs/fixed-price-repairs.html
£239 for a cam belt change...I'd check if you also need to change the water pump at the same time though...

I no longer feel half as scared as I was before.
I'm presuming Vauxhall will be the top end of the scale, and local garages will be cheaper. Regardless, £239 is a great deal less than some of the prices being thrown around when searching online. Thanks.

2 hours ago, kev23 said:

You think this thread is going to be any more accurate than Google?

My 19 yo drives a 16 year Polo which is worth nothing but I kept it for her when I changed cars a few years ago.  It's on its last legs and, as my son is the same age as yours, I'm facing the same dilemma.  My likely option will be to get something like a 1.0 litre Polo or Corsa  for about £750 with 40-50,000 miles on the clock.
Insurance is a bit of a minefield.  Fully comp is cheaper than 3rd party, curiously enough.  I went down the route of higher excess/lower premium on the basis that I'd not make a claim for the car if she damaged it.  You can also insure your excess but I didn't look in to this but it may be worth considering.

Have tried a variety of dry runs for insurance. Fully comp on just about anything sensible seems +/- £100 of £1k. I’d max out the excess - if he prangs it there’s no point claiming for anything under £1k of damage. They’d only multiply the premium the following year.