Car advice

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

Black circles were £200 more for the exact same tyres so I imagine I can get them fitted for cheaper.

Therein lies the difficulty. The sellers of tyres make a profit on the tyres as well as the mount and balance, so they might increase the price a wee bit to compensate.

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

Looking to get 6 tyres fitted (4 on one car and 2 on the other) how much should I be looking at to get a local company to fit these, balance and dispose of the old ones if I supplied the tyres?

Twenty quid, max. 

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

It's not always obvious reading your posts that  you're a lassie but on this occasion...

It is just possible that some athletes from Wichita State University are involved…not sure about the mountains.

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

Looking to get 6 tyres fitted (4 on one car and 2 on the other) how much should I be looking at to get a local company to fit these, balance and dispose of the old ones if I supplied the tyres?

£20 to £25 but a lot of places won't fit customer supplied tyres as they don't want to risk being held accountable if there is any manufacturing defect with the tyres so you might need to phone around a few places.

11 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

It's not always obvious reading your posts that  you're a lassie but on this occasion...

I happily admit it's the one area of life where having a bloke about would be useful.

1 minute ago, jimbaxters said:

We'll leave it there. Don't want to make a mounting out of a molehill 😉

It's the mechanic who referred to it as a mountain btw. 

Talking of mountings......

15 hours ago, Empty It said:

In my area, £20 is the max I've been quoted. 

I gave that a miss, and went for the £12.50 quote from another place.  Next time, it had gone up to £15. 

Last time, it was back down to £12.50.

Phone around.

And for 6 tyres, I'd go for the haggle.  My embarrassment threshold is usually around 10% in a face to face encounter.

Edited by beefybake

Got a hire van just now. It’s an electric Vauxhall Vivaro lwb. Spent almost an hour last night trying to find a charger that would accept a normal bank/credit card. Finally found one and connected to it. Said it was a Rapid charger. It would only run at half the power output stated. After about an hour sitting there I gave up. It had put a grand total of 90miles on the battery at a cost of £29. Drove it this morning like Miss Daisy for about 15 miles. The gauge said that I had used up 25 miles.

There is no danger that I would ever buy an electric motor. Absolute con job.

P.s.

have been driving for over 40 years and this is the first time that I’ve ever driven an automatic. Love it.

Edited by supermik

Anyone any experience of door locks failing? The fob stopped working a while back (washing machine incident) so have just been unlocking/locking manually using the key. Suddenly this morning the key won't open the door either - it's turning but not unlocking. Any ideas anyone? Vauxhall Insignia if it helps.

30 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Anyone any experience of door locks failing? The fob stopped working a while back (washing machine incident) so have just been unlocking/locking manually using the key. Suddenly this morning the key won't open the door either - it's turning but not unlocking. Any ideas anyone? Vauxhall Insignia if it helps.

Don’t know the answer but makes me wonder if the manufacturers are now so reliant on push button key fobs that they maybe use inferior key locking mechanisms and possibly even a small amount of wear on the keys renders them useless.

40 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Some cars have/had deadlocks that were activated via double pushes and such. Not sure if a double locking turn would do the same, is there a passenger side keyhole on that model (or a boot/hatch) that you can try the key in? 

17 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Some cars have/had deadlocks that were activated via double pushes and such. Not sure if a double locking turn would do the same, is there a passenger side keyhole on that model (or a boot/hatch) that you can try the key in? 

Nah. Only key slot is driver door.

• 2 weeks later...