Car advice

12 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

20240507_194852.thumb.jpg.306ecf6ce62352ea6a59a09e79687d15.jpg

What's this device in my upgraded van? There are 2 of the wee doofers I'm holding, and when I went to remove the device screwed onto the dash, there's a wire connected that disappears into the fascia.

Is it critical to the van working, or, as I suspect, on old mobile phone fitting?

If the wee button doesn’t heat up when you put it back into the mount it could be a cigarette lighter for quitting smokers. 

What's this device in my upgraded van? There are 2 of the wee doofers I'm holding, and when I went to remove the device screwed onto the dash, there's a wire connected that disappears into the fascia.

Is it critical to the van working, or, as I suspect, on old mobile phone fitting?

Could be something for enabling tracking for a nosey employer.

The apprentice device installation technician in your company's 'covert employee surveillance and tracking department' has some explaining to do.

2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Thank you, van was previously a company van, so makes sense the drivers whereabouts could be being tracked. 

I'll be uninstalling it then.

Good idea. It’ll make it easier to cover your tracks. 

IMG_0644.gif

10 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

But does he have a basement / dungeon ?

Doesn’t matter all that much if he can’t be found. (so my friend tells me..)

IMG_0644.gif

20 hours ago, Plumpy said:

16 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Thank you, van was previously a company van, so makes sense the drivers whereabouts could be being tracked. 

Actually, the van has TomTom, though integral in the dash, rather than a wee device.  Could it be part of that?

On 08/05/2024 at 09:17, Boghead ranter said:

Any tracking via iButton could only be accomplished by physical action. The iButton was likely attached to the key as part of a checkout/checkin system for the van. As it sits, unless there is a logger and transmitter attached to that socket, it seems harmless enough…unless it’s a required item to be in place to start the vehicle, in which case you’ll need to trace it to the control unit and uninstall that.

Posted (edited)

Sorry if posted before. 
Just a warning to the unwary and uninformed. If your cars steering starts to feel “different” loose/tight etc, be aware that garages will offer to change the track control arms “to see if it will save you the cost of a new steering rack” this only works on a very very small percentage of vehicles, and is a bit of a revenue collector for garages. 
A garage just did this to my sons car, and his uncle, a car mechanic of many years pointed this out to us. 
Also says to never tell a garage what you think is wrong, they could replace parts you don’t need and tell you that you said that’s what’s wrong. 

Edited by Wacky

Had to take the car in for a service and Mot this morning, and it wouldn't start, dead battery by the looks of it. Stuck the charger on and nervously tried the key again straight away, and it started no problem. Q1 Is this a daft thing to do and Q2 what does it all mean? 

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Had to take the car in for a service and Mot this morning, and it wouldn't start, dead battery by the looks of it. Stuck the charger on and nervously tried the key again straight away, and it started no problem. Q1 Is this a daft thing to do and Q2 what does it all mean? 

It won't start off a charger - my guess is one of the battery terminals was loose and you attaching the charger gave it enough of a nudge to re-establish enough of a connection.

27 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

It won't start off a charger - my guess is one of the battery terminals was loose and you attaching the charger gave it enough of a nudge to re-establish enough of a connection.

Google tells me it might be something to do with the immobiliser, didn't even know there was one. Just picking the car up, hopefully I'll find out. 

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Google tells me it might be something to do with the immobiliser, didn't even know there was one. Just picking the car up, hopefully I'll find out. 

Well hopefully you didn’t tell them about it, or you’ll probably be looking at a £500 charge for changing the blinker fluid, cleaning your doohickey and recalibrating your whatchamacallit.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Garage tested the battery which was fine and couldn't find anything else wrong, starts fine now, so I'll tighten the battery terminals as @alta-pete suggested and hope for the best. 

Attach the cables from the battery to your baws.

All going well you'll feel a "message of hope" that the car is OK.