Car advice

On 26/08/2023 at 22:50, TxRover said:

2019 Michelin’s really shouldn’t be doing that. Do you perhaps either regularity use some type of tyre dressing or park/drive/live around an ozone source? Parking outside with UV exposure will cause tyres to crack a bit sooner, but that seems a bit much. The new tyre you just put in, check its date too. Some stores fail to properly rotate stock, or sell very few of certain sizes, so you should always look.

Tyres should generally be replaced in the 6-7 years range, and certainly at the 10 year mark, however tyre age is not part of an MOT check.

Car parks outside. Will probably get these replaced soon. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wife has a 14 plate Kia Picanto VR7 which she has had from new. Has been serviced every year by a Kia dealership but with the age of the car now I really don't want to part with 2-3 hundred pounds. 

It has 65k on the clock. Would taken it to a local garage that would charge approx £100 for an oil and filter change and a basic check up do or am I better taking it to Kia. 

1 hour ago, Squeaks Snowy Bicycle said:

Wife has a 14 plate Kia Picanto VR7 which she has had from new. Has been serviced every year by a Kia dealership but with the age of the car now I really don't want to part with 2-3 hundred pounds. 

It has 65k on the clock. Would taken it to a local garage that would charge approx £100 for an oil and filter change and a basic check up do or am I better taking it to Kia. 

Since it’s out of warranty, there’s no compelling reason to have a mains dealer service it. Even in warranty, as long as you maintain proof of proper servicing, they can’t deny a claim (they likely will try to until you push it). As long as the local garage uses the correct parts or reputable aftermarket versions, I’d be very comfortable saving the money. The one thing you lose is the theoretical advantage of a Kia expert looking at the vehicle…but if it’s an oil change, the new lad is doing it anyway at the dealer. Added bonus is establishing a relationship with a local garage, assuming you pick a good one.

2 hours ago, Squeaks Snowy Bicycle said:

Wife has a 14 plate Kia Picanto VR7 which she has had from new. Has been serviced every year by a Kia dealership

Hold on, a wee clarification needed. 

Has the wife been serviced yearly by the dealership, or the car?

Edited by scottsdad

21 hours ago, TxRover said:

Since it’s out of warranty, there’s no compelling reason to have a mains dealer service it. Even in warranty, as long as you maintain proof of proper servicing, they can’t deny a claim (they likely will try to until you push it). As long as the local garage uses the correct parts or reputable aftermarket versions, I’d be very comfortable saving the money. The one thing you lose is the theoretical advantage of a Kia expert looking at the vehicle…but if it’s an oil change, the new lad is doing it anyway at the dealer. Added bonus is establishing a relationship with a local garage, assuming you pick a good one.

Thank you, much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Need advice with my brakes on my van, think I might need to bite the bullet and hand it into a garage.

Steering wheel was vibrating when braking so changed the disks and pads but after 6 months it's came back. Anybody no what it could be and is it as simple as nuts and bolts to do.

It's a 2019 vivaro if that helps.

Cheers

33 minutes ago, just me 2 said:

Need advice with my brakes on my van, think I might need to bite the bullet and hand it into a garage.

Steering wheel was vibrating when braking so changed the disks and pads but after 6 months it's came back. Anybody no what it could be and is it as simple as nuts and bolts to do.

Cheers

I think there's a monkey shaking the steering column. 

43 minutes ago, just me 2 said:

Cheers

Have you tried putting the heating on full and rolling down the windows ? 

2 hours ago, just me 2 said:

Cheers

Get your wheels balanced m9.

3 hours ago, just me 2 said:

Cheers

Can I ask your driving style? Warping the front discs is easy done if you're driving a laden van, subject it to some fairly heavy braking (coming to a stop after coming off a downhill motorway slip for example) and then sit with your foot on the brakes while you wait for the lights to go green. The heat dissipates from the discs at differing rates between the areas exposed to the air and that behind the pads, causing them to warp and the wobble on braking as you describe. I think especially moreso with a Vauxhall where the dics are probably made of reconstituted tinfoil. It's an expensive lesson I learned many years ago - the handbrake (that usually operates on the cooler rear brakes) is not just for parking.

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

Get your wheels balanced m9.

Road force balanced if it’s an option, but if it’s only during braking, @alta-pete has likely nailed the problem…especially if you used cheap Chinesium rotor replacements. You could whip the wheels off and try to either eyeball the rotor while you turn it or use something against the rotor while turning it to see if it touches it all the time, but a dial indicator is the only accurate way unless the warpage is massive.

7 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Can I ask your driving style? Warping the front discs is easy done if you're driving a laden van, subject it to some fairly heavy braking (coming to a stop after coming off a downhill motorway slip for example) and then sit with your foot on the brakes while you wait for the lights to go green. The heat dissipates from the discs at differing rates between the areas exposed to the air and that behind the pads, causing them to warp and the wobble on braking as you describe. I think especially moreso with a Vauxhall where the dics are probably made of reconstituted tinfoil. It's an expensive lesson I learned many years ago - the handbrake (that usually operates on the cooler rear brakes) is not just for parking.

That’s exactly how I’d drive it. I have had 2 other vivaros though and never had this problem. 
Just need to change them and try that.

cheers

7 hours ago, alta-pete said:

I love it when we talk car problems.

And my car isn't involved!