Car advice

6 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Put my old beemer into the garage the other day. Mechanic phoned and offered to buy it and coincidentally I was about to flog it anyway. Mrs’ car going too and being replaced by something with tartan seats shortly.

Golf GTi?

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

Golf GTi?

Close. Had a manual mk 7.5 GTi before. New Polo GTi. Mrs wanted something smaller but fast and has to be auto so this seemed ideal.

19 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

On the MG/Dacia/Vauxhall shite, people do realise they're virtually all the same car dependent on what engine you go for, dont you?

Its like the dogshite 1.2 cars that go about now, all of them with the dogshit Peugeot engine. Doesn't matter if its a Citreon, Vauxhall, Peugeot, or Toyota, if its a modern 1.2 then its the exact same car and you're literally paying entirely for how it looks.

Aye, do Merc's not have Renault engines?

Same with the greatly named VAG cars, Audi, VW, Seat and Skoda are all the same cars.

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Close. Had a manual mk 7.5 GTi before. New Polo GTi. Mrs wanted something smaller but fast and has to be auto so this seemed ideal.

Porsche Safari TX would have ticked the boxes. Fast and tartan seats.

28 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Aye, do Merc's not have Renault engines?

A lot of their A, B and C class engines are Renault - particularly the diesels. 

2 hours ago, 101 said:

Porsche Safari TX would have ticked the boxes. Fast and tartan seats.

Need to start “renovating conservatories”. There’s a cracking one in Edinburgh with the full Rothmans-esque livery. ETA, a Safari, not a conservatory.

Edited by Shandon Par

On 21/07/2024 at 09:15, Molotov said:

@RandomGuy. Could you present a pie chart graphical representation of best car in various budgets on the different elements of ownership in the same way you provide for fitba players? 😂 

I’m in the market for a tough tackling budget car.

Let’s say a Tommy Turner or Billy Abercromby car rather that Roy Keane level of outlay.

@RandomGuy. I'd also be interested in some kind of even a top 10 of least shite cars? 

My old workhorse Audi A3 has about 3 different warnings on it, an oil leak, slow puncture and due an MOT at the end of the month... I'm thinking it could be curtains and a new shitbox will be required soon. 

1 hour ago, thistledo said:

@RandomGuy. I'd also be interested in some kind of even a top 10 of least shite cars? 

My old workhorse Audi A3 has about 3 different warnings on it, an oil leak, slow puncture and due an MOT at the end of the month... I'm thinking it could be curtains and a new shitbox will be required soon. 

Is he making lists for folk now?

OK, I'm in.

@RandomGuy. can you make me a top 10 list of 80s soft rock songs between 5 and 7 minutes in length?

35 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Is he making lists for folk now?

OK, I'm in.

@RandomGuy. can you make me a top 10 list of 80s soft rock songs between 5 and 7 minutes in length?

Just buy a later Whitesnake album after the proper guitarists left.

nowhere near as qualified as RandomGuy, but received wisdom is that Toyota/Honda cars are tried and true. Well enough maintained (and tbf, in the right climate) they'll live until rust/corrosion kills them.

Can believe it tbf, there's that video of an old Civic from carwow and the Civic treats oil as an optional extra

14 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

nowhere near as qualified as RandomGuy, but received wisdom is that Toyota/Honda cars are tried and true. Well enough maintained (and tbf, in the right climate) they'll live until rust/corrosion kills them.

Can believe it tbf, there's that video of an old Civic from carwow and the Civic treats oil as an optional extra

I actually had an old Honda Civic for 14 years and it was in fact rust that ended up killing it, although now I wish I just paid to fix it. 

We (i say we, i dont drive, but pay half of the car) had an Volvo XC60 up until recently. Had an oil level/pressure high indicator up so took it in to local garage for an oil/filter change and turns out the engine is completely shot due to some carbon deposits blocking lubrication passages or something. asked him to look into a new or reconditioned engine and came back with a quote for 13k (THIRTEEN THOUSAND!!) car trade in value was only 18k!

anyway, they got asked to change the oil and filter and off we went to we buy any car, sold for full trade in value.  bish bash bosh you can change the engine Micah Richards 

Advice part: She is interested in getting an electric car now and was looking at the Volvo ex30 or c40 as she liked the Volvo we had. any advice on EV cars or the specific ones appreciated 

Edited by Don Diego De la Vega

9 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

We (i say we, i dont drive, but pay half of the car) had an Volvo XC60 up until recently. Had an oil level/pressure high indicator up so took it in to local garage for an oil/filter change and turns out the engine is completely shot due to some carbon deposits blocking lubrication passages or something. asked him to look into a new or reconditioned engine and came back with a quote for 13k (THIRTEEN THOUSAND!!) car trade in value was only 18k!

anyway, they got asked to change the oil and filter and off we went to we buy any car, sold for full trade in value.  bish bash bosh you can change the engine Micah Richards 

Advice part: She is interested in getting an electric car now and was looking at the Volvo ex30 or c40 as she liked the Volvo we had. any advice on EV cars or the specific ones appreciated 

My knowledge of EV cars is limited to what my neighbour tells me about his. 

In the winter, it doesn't go very far. They've jacked up the prices, both of kilowatts and (in some places) minimum spend. He used to park at the Falkirk stadium, 25p per kW, minimum spend £1. He'd take the dogs for a walk, come back and the car was half charged. 

Now it's minimum spend £5, 50p per kW. He's getting a hybrid next time. 

Second hand Nissan Leafs are much cheaper than most petrol cars of the same age. If you don't usually do more than a hundred miles a day you can charge it at home on the overnight rate, in my case I wouldn't need to spend money on a high voltage charger, just trickle charge it on a normal socket as I don't need it every day. No use if you don't have your own driveway though, or if you need it for unpredictable work in the Highlands.

28 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

He's getting a hybrid next time. 

As long as it’s a smaller car or a series hybrid like the i3 Range Extender. Otherwise it seems that hybrid cars are just making massive heavy cars slightly more efficient and the costs would be far higher than electricity especially if they reform the national grid

2 hours ago, 101 said:

As long as it’s a smaller car or a series hybrid like the i3 Range Extender. Otherwise it seems that hybrid cars are just making massive heavy cars slightly more efficient and the costs would be far higher than electricity especially if they reform the national grid

Just off the top of my head, I can think of hybrids that are not at all 'massive heavy;.., Suzuki Swift, Toyota Yaris, Auris/Corolla...

I mean , there must be some good reason why Prius's are the car of choice for Uberers, and taxi drivers in general, and ramp up 300,000 + miles.

33 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Just off the top of my head, I can think of hybrids that are not at all 'massive heavy;.., Suzuki Swift, Toyota Yaris, Auris/Corolla...

I mean , there must be some good reason why Prius's are the car of choice for Uberers, and taxi drivers in general, and ramp up 300,000 + miles.

There's at least one company in Kirkcaldy that the driver works two cars at a time, one on charge and driving the other.

Must be some outlay to only have half your fleet on the road at one time.

It's official, I am fucking cursed when it comes to cars! Every single time I go to a mechanic it ends up in a disaster... 

Got my wee car back after a mountain of silly jobs I've been neglecting and only able to afford now. 12 months MOT, delighted with myself, drove it 25 miles and my brake caliper fell off! (yes really!)

Pedal hit the floor, inner pad lying in the middle of the road and thanking my lucky stars it was quiet and I wasn't horsing it. 

Garage didn't tighten the caliper bolts after having them off and tried to claim they didn't touch that side! Fuming is an understatement but at least they came and got it and I'll have brand new pads and disc tomorrow... fucked me for getting to work though. 

Par for the course between my cars and mechanics tbf, I should write a book. Every-fucking-time!