Car advice

My Nissan Note is going through its annual service and MOT, and got a phone call to say they couldn't change the brake fluid as the nipple had broken off, and they'd have to send off for a new cylinder, but it would pass the MOT without. They haven't quoted a price, but what roughly should I be looking at for parts and labour, and would changing the whole cylinder be necessary? Also should it be covered by a standard extended warranty? Any info would be handy before I haggle, I'm clueless about this and want them to think I'm not.

Just now, welshbairn said:

My Nissan Note is going through its annual service and MOT, and got a phone call to say they couldn't change the brake fluid as the nipple had broken off, and they'd have to send off for a new cylinder, but it would pass the MOT without. They haven't quoted a price, but what roughly should I be looking at for parts and labour, and would changing the whole cylinder be necessary? Also should it be covered by a standard extended warranty? Any info would be handy before I haggle, I'm clueless about this and want them to think I'm not.

Putting off your recommendation until I see the replies to this...

1 hour ago, HTG said:

Help! My daughter's 2013 Yaris apparently needs a new accelerator throttle body at a cost of 900 plus VAT for the part so about 1400 to get fitted. The accelerator packed in earlier in the week but worked again when I went to tow it home. 

Should I keep the car and pay the price, try and source a part on Ebay, get rid of the car if I can keep the engine warning light off long enough (was on, now not on). 

Horns of a dilemma for someone as tight as me. 

You definitely need to shop around. What about this one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lovey-AUTO-22030-21030-2203021030-Throttle-Assembly/dp/B07PCRR3LQ/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=yaris+throttle+body&qid=1579277362&s=automotive&sr=1-4

2 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Cheers. As luck would have it she got a £50 Amazon voucher yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

Putting off your recommendation until I see the replies to this...

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

They're not that expensive, £100 P&L maybe.

That said I don't know what they mean by nipple on a master cylinder. Calipers have nipples for bleeding brake fluid, the master cylinder just has the connections for the brake lines.

Think the girl who told me on the phone got a bit confused, one of the wheel's bleed nipple snapped and it will need a new wheel cylinder, but not for 2 years till the next brake fluid change, the other 3 wheels are fine. £210 to pay in 2022 was the quote. Apart from that, rear window wiper needed changing, that's it, not bad for 2012 reg.

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Ah my mistake, wrong cylinder.

Tbh you'd be as well getting the whole caliper replaced, it won't be a lot more than that.

I thought the same as you after googling it, thought they were taking the pish.

43 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Ah my mistake, wrong cylinder.

Tbh you'd be as well getting the whole caliper replaced, it won't be a lot more than that.

He maybe has drum brakes so itll be wheel cylinders and not calipers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/01/2020 at 09:03, KnightswoodBear said:

They do a Cx9 which looks amazing.  But they don't sell it in the UK.  The p***ks.

5008.  Three isofix (i-size) across the middle row and a third row if you really need them.

Edited by strichener

6 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

After a couple of weeks of the garage strangely being too busy to have a look at my motor I just decided to sort it myself even though it's a horrible job.

I bought a laser thermometer and after a motorway drive, the disc on the side with the suspect caliper was 20 degrees hotter than the one on the other side. I therefore deduced that the caliper I had asked them to check that they said was fine was not in fact fine, and them winding the piston back is where the air got into my  system. So new caliper on, brakes bled, and a wee spin confirms I've now got a car with working brakes.

Did you do that yourself, and if so have you told the garage?

12 hours ago, pub car king said:

Brake changes are remarkably easy. I did the rear discs and pads on my astra and apart from a few seized bolts and taking my time it was quite straight forward. Biggest faff was bleeding the brakes. 

Aye, what can possibly go wrong? Mechanics are just like gas fitters and electricians, think they know it all.

• 3 weeks later...

Settled for buying a 6 year old Polo. Reasonable mileage, seems well looked after and came with summer and winter tyres, which will save me a few hundred quid next month when they need to be changed over. Wouldn't have been my first choice but it was a decent price and will do for what I need it for.

Looking to trade my car in and move up to a dadmobile (any input on Tucson vs Sportage appreciated).

Is it wise to wait until I get the car through it's MOT (31/3) or get rid of it before? This will be the first MOT so I don't foresee many issues