Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

Once I went to what I thought was a house party a friend was having in Irvine.

However it turned into a night out at the local night club with a bunch of unemployed, homeless ex squadies who were all sleeping on sofas at various relatives houses and who were tanked up to the tits on Buckie. In the taxi they chanted "Fight! f**k! Fight! f**k! Fight! f**k!" like some kind of battle cry and generally acted incredibly aggressive and mental. Although not confirmed I got the distinct impression I was the only passenger in the taxi that hadn't killed before making it one of the most terrifying experiences of my life.

I was genuinely resigned to requiring a casualty ward blood transfusion before the night was out, if I was lucky, before I even got out the taxi. Then it occured to me that these guys were 'my friends' and there might be others just like them with less than the very small connection I had with these guys.

When I got to the club, the name of which I forget, I was forced to get unbelievable tanked up myself just to get through a seemingly endless night of Survivor and Bryan Adams songs played at 2000 decibels, sexually voracious ugly slappers and a host of spilled my drink/you looking at my burd dagger carriers. Everyone was split up at the club but the squadies would occasionally bump into me and ask if I was getting "any trouble" or wanted anyone "done in".

The squadies all got shags off the sisters of their last shags and disappeared leaving me on my own to deck two metal fans in leather jackets and studs who tried to rough me up at the taxi rank. What can I say, the 'spirit of the place' had latched on to me. It was only the third, and last time, I have ever hit anyone as an adult.

With this in mind I nominate Irvine as the worst town in Scotland.

A fair shout. Irvine is a horrific town full of ne'erdowells, neds and numpties.

Absolutely shocked to see Larbert mentioned. A high percentage (much higer than any other small town I know of) of Larbert is large, expensive 3 or 4 bedroom houses. The 'main street' is a bit grim though.

Housing size/price wise, Stenny is worse than Larbert but still probably above average in the 'small diddy Scottish towns' league table.

Bo'ness comes in two halfs. The half at the top of the hill is decent enough. I do a bit of tutoring up there. Lovely houses and good folk.

The bottom half is the most soul-destroying place I've ever been. Worked there for a few shifts a couple of summers ago. Depressing stuff.

Missed out the wonders of the Highlands, Wick, Alness, Invergordon......

Alness, without a shadow of a doubt is the worst place I've ever been to. Invergordon and wick don't come close. I'm pretty sure Alness' elite go on holiday to Dingwall and view it as a paradise.

At least these central belt towns are near to nice places and have a lot to do.I'd consider living in Galloway (Newton Stewart, Wigtown, Stranraer, Whithorn) to be pretty shit , seeing as the nearest major city is Belfast, the high number of junkies and very few employment prospects. At least in Drumchapel children can look over to Bearsden and hope to escape from their shitehole. In Stranraer, it's a Failed Statelet to the west, Ayrshire to the north and dueling banjos to the east (The leafy salubrious charms of Dumfries are 70 miles away). It's the shitehole equivalent to Alcatraz.

Hawick for it's size is pretty poor, shitey leisure centre, no major shops or things to do, nowhere near anything, no motorway, no trains until next year (Even then it's in Galashiels)and to top it off they all play Rugby. Shithole.

Edited by Sloop John B

At least these central belt towns are near to nice places and have a lot to do.I'd consider living in Galloway (Newton Stewart, Wigtown, Stranraer, Whithorn) to be pretty shit , seeing as the nearest major city is Belfast, the high number of junkies and very few employment prospects. At least in Drumchapel children can look over to Bearsden and hope to escape from their shitehole. In Stranraer, it's a Failed Statelet to the west, Ayrshire to the north and dueling banjos to the east (The leafy salubrious charms of Dumfries are 70 miles away). It's the shitehole equivalent to Alcatraz.

Bit harsh on Galloway mate, the only 2 holes there are Stranraer and Whithorn. Whithorn is a truly bizarre place where it's resoanbly common for children to be born with 6 fingers - no word of a lie!

And then when you compare them to what South Ayrshire has to offer......

At least these central belt towns are near to nice places and have a lot to match d consider living in Galloway (Newton Stewart, Wigtown, Stranraer, Whithorn) to be pretty shit , seeing as the nearest major city is Belfast, the high number of junkies and very few employment prospects. At least in Drumchapel children can look over to Bearsden and hope to escape from their shitehole. In Stranraer, it's a Failed Statelet to the west, Ayrshire to the north and dueling banjos to the east (The leafy salubrious charms of Dumfries are 70 miles away). It's the shitehole equivalent to Alcatraz.

Hawick for it's size pretty poor, shitey leisure centre, no major shops or things to do, nowhere near anything, no motorway, no trains until next year (Even then it's in Galashiels)and to top it off they all play Rugby. Shithole.

Lochgilphead combines being miles from civilisation beside a stinking loch wth nothing to do with being a fucking heap of the highest order to match anything the central belt can offer.

Alexandria takes some beating, Dumbarton is easily the town with the most dramatic fall from relatively decent wee town to jake ridden shitehole in recent years, no redeeming features.

It's got a big rock. I wonder how many tourists they fool into thinking there actually is a castle.

Bo'ness comes in two halfs.

The bottom half is the most soul-destroying place I've ever been. Worked there for a few shifts a couple of summers ago. Depressing stuff.

This

Bit harsh on Galloway mate, the only 2 holes there are Stranraer and Whithorn. Whithorn is a truly bizarre place where it's resoanbly common for children to be born with 6 fingers - no word of a lie!

Must come from Newton. I quote the original article

Newton Stewart, where much of the cult 1973 horror film The Wicker Man was filmed, is labelled “the town that God forgot”, while the residents are described as “desperate to escape” and “deranged looking”.

Stranraer is a million times better than Newton. Anywhere is a million times better than Newton to be fair

And then when you compare them to what South Ayrshire has to offer......

The finish to that sentence would be ...they don't compare very favourably as South Ayrshire offers so much more.