Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

I feel I should leap to Fife's defence here. Quite a few people on this thread saying "Fife is a shitehole" then using these same 2 or 3 neighbouring towns as examples. That area is pretty grim but appears to be the only part of Fife anyone has ever visited, resulting in the perception of the whole region being based on this.

I've lived in Fife my whole life and have never been to Lochgelly or Ballingry. Us posh Fifers with Dundee postcodes don't mix with the riff-raff.

Never had any problems in the Lochgelly/Ballingry/Cardenden areas when I've been working there. It is what it is. There may be prevalent social issues in those places, that seem more obvious, but they really are not any worse than the next place.

No it's no that one mate, been there and measured them too though, that's Minto Crescent in Glenrothes!! There's one that's worse! I'll resume search later it's doing my nut in.

:lol: So it is! Silly me, never knew the street name. I just remember being in that area briefly. Anyway, that's the only place I can think of that matches your description, if you say you've been somewhere worse than that, I feel really bad for you!

Same thing with me when I stopped off in Stornoway on the way to the Faroes - I imagined it was going to be a bigger version of the likes of Portree, but it's a right bleak, dismal place.

That's a bit harsh, I think. Stornoway and Kirkwall (mentioned in the previous post) are both working ports, rather than tourist-oriented like Portree. I suppose the kind of industrial character makes the waterfronts seem a wee bit bleak, but they're far from dismal.

Stornoway's got some cracking places to eat (HS1 and An Lanntair, particularly), a good mix of shops (unlike Portree) and Lews Castle grounds (home to the excellent HebCelt festival). It is lacking in good pubs though.

That's a bit harsh, I think. Stornoway and Kirkwall (mentioned in the previous post) are both working ports, rather than tourist-oriented like Portree. I suppose the kind of industrial character makes the waterfronts seem a wee bit bleak, but they're far from dismal.

Stornoway's got some cracking places to eat (HS1 and An Lanntair, particularly), a good mix of shops (unlike Portree) and Lews Castle grounds (home to the excellent HebCelt festival). It is lacking in good pubs though.

Possibly you're right - first impressions are everything, and it was a truly miserable day, pishing down sideways. I do get the point that it's a bit less geared up for tourism than some other places as it's still a fairly busy port though.

We were there for about 3-4 hours, initially wandering round the shops which weren't much different from any small mainland town. The one thing sticks in my mind is a wee wifie outside a charity shop phoning the police because somebody had been shoplifting - it being a small place, she knew the culprit's name and where they stayed!

Ended up in a big cavernous boozer that looked that it might be trouble on the weekend, stayed there for one and then went to a wee place - low ceiling, loads of wood panelling inside, forget the name - that was a lot friendlier, and seemed to be full of old fisherman types.

Fife has stunning scenery even driving through Kelty in Cowdenbeath

The term 'stunning scenery' gets thrown about far too much imo. I personally blame the c***s on Countryfile.

The bits around the Lomond Hills, the East Neuk coast and even the backdrop to Methil around Largo Law are really nice though.

Fort William is probably not as shit as folk make out but it's just really shit compared to what people expect when they go there. If you dropped fort William in central Scotland no one would bat an eyelid.caol is worse.

Some of the houses there are utterly stinking and the area is just generally shit. The funny thing is Queenstown in New Zeeland is a lot like Fort Willliam in many ways but completely awesome

Some of the houses there are utterly stinking and the area is just generally shit. The funny thing is Queenstown in New Zeeland is a lot like Fort Willliam in many ways but completely awesome

Funny you should say that - when I was in NZ I was really looking forward to going to Queenstown, but it was a ghost town at night and I was a bit disappointed in the town as a whole. Awesome stuff around it though.

The thing that makes Fort William and many other Scottish/British towns look so grim is the depressing 'architecture' of the housing. In NZ for example even in the run-down areas of the cities people live in nice wee detached houses, while in most of our towns the council estates look like something out of Stalingrad.

It's just a shopping centre,some roundabouts and a few housing estates. Not really a town.

you can say that ^^^^^ about most of the new towns, soulless places

Funny you should say that - when I was in NZ I was really looking forward to going to Queenstown, but it was a ghost town at night and I was a bit disappointed in the town as a whole. Awesome stuff around it though.

The thing that makes Fort William and many other Scottish/British towns look so grim is the depressing 'architecture' of the housing. In NZ for example even in the run-down areas of the cities people live in nice wee detached houses, while in most of our towns the council estates look like something out of Stalingrad.

I was in Queenstown for 2 days and it was absolutely buzzing i loved it! Was just at new year time though so you may have been out of season! The architecture in Fort william really is grim aye, just needs knocked down and rebuilt, it has potential to be a decent wee place though and it probably is quite good for tourists