Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

Any town which has a gala day that the locals take really seriously and get pissed off if you refer to it as a gala day like lannimers in lanark, marymas in Irvine and that one in Bo'ness or wherever it is.

Where I live, gala day is spread out over an entire fucking week. Absolutely sickening.

Have to say that it does really sadden / depress me when I come back to Brechin the bottom of High Street / Union St / Montrose St look like the Bronx, I think Angus Council are really letting Brechin down. But would not say its the biggest shit hole in Scotland I work in Fife most days of the week there are many many contenders there.

Edited by Best Team in Angus

17 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:

Have to say that it does really sadden / depress me when I come back to Brechin the bottom of High Street / Union St / Montrose St look like the Bronx, I think Angus Council are really letting Brechin down. But would not say its the biggest shit hole in Scotland I work in Fife most days of the week there are many many contenders there.

Brechin has not suddenly become a shithole, this has been years in the making, depended far to much on the income from the "Yanks" based at Edzell, but I do agree the utterly useless Angus Council could have done much, much more, to cushion the blow of the base closing, but were far to slow off the mark

Edited by ecto

I don't think Brechin is that bad. The High Street is pish in terms of shops, but most small towns in Scotland have gone the same way. People just can't be arsed shopping locally when they can order online from Asda, Tesco, Amazon and local shops will never, ever be able to compete with those prices. For example in Forfar, a long-standing local Ironmonger shut down last year, cue much wailing and gnashing of teeth on facebook and the likes, much of it from people who hadn't set foot in the place for years, if ever.

Back to Brechin, yeah Montrose Street is rough in parts, and Hillview will always be Hillview, but every town has it shitty schemes. Brechin's biggest problem is its location. Montrose is in a nice coastal spot and on the rail network. The other Angus towns are all within 15-20 miles of Dundee. Brechin is annoyingly far from both Dundee and Aberdeen, has no rail link and isn't an ideal location for any decent sized company to set up. Even it's golf course is average at best. I know quite a few folk from there, and tbf they all like it as it's a nice enough place to raise a family.

1 hour ago, WeAreElgin said:

Where I live, gala day is spread out over an entire fucking week. Absolutely sickening.

43 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

Fortunately Elgin is above such yokel behaviour and has long since stripped itself of the small town mentality that affects places such as Bo'ness or Falkirk.

Contradiction.

As far as i know Falkirk don't have a Gala Day... but Bo'ness definitely do.

Brechin is annoyingly far from both Dundee and Aberdeen, has no rail link and isn't an ideal location for any decent sized company to set up.

Erm, I think you'll find that you can get a train to Dun on the Caledonian line, thank you very much.

19 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Erm, I think you'll find that you can get a train to Dun on the Caledonian line, thank you very much.

True, but the service is sporadic, at best☺

I don't think Brechin is that bad. The High Street is pish in terms of shops, but most small towns in Scotland have gone the same way. People just can't be arsed shopping locally when they can order online from Asda, Tesco, Amazon and local shops will never, ever be able to compete with those prices. For example in Forfar, a long-standing local Ironmonger shut down last year, cue much wailing and gnashing of teeth on facebook and the likes, much of it from people who hadn't set foot in the place for years, if ever.

Back to Brechin, yeah Montrose Street is rough in parts, and Hillview will always be Hillview, but every town has it shitty schemes. Brechin's biggest problem is its location. Montrose is in a nice coastal spot and on the rail network. The other Angus towns are all within 15-20 miles of Dundee. Brechin is annoyingly far from both Dundee and Aberdeen, has no rail link and isn't an ideal location for any decent sized company to set up. Even it's golf course is average at best. I know quite a few folk from there, and tbf they all like it as it's a nice enough place to raise a family.

I tend to agree with most of this, I think Montrose benefits from its geography and some 19th Century town planning decisions. The wide Hight St and the gardens etc along the mid-links are what makes Montrose acceptable from a certain viewpoint, it is, however still got more than it's fair share of utter dregs of humanity.

Sent from a dark, dank hellhole.

3 minutes ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

I tend to agree with most of this, I think Montrose benefits from its geography and some 19th Century town planning decisions. The wide Hight St and the gardens etc along the mid-links are what makes Montrose acceptable from a certain viewpoint, it is, however still got more than it's fair share of utter dregs of humanity.

Sent from a dark, dank hellhole.

I didn't think I had any relatives still living in Montrose...

On 20/08/2016 at 11:56, WeAreElgin said:

Are any of these places you'd really want to live, though? If you've seen the film 30 Days Of Night, that's what they call "January" in Aviemore.

January in Aviemore is full of posh totty up to snowboard. Far worse is Aviemore in the summer when it's rammed with fannies on stag weekends or utter arseholes up to play golf after managing to get away from their wives and depressing central belt lives for the first time in years.

Aviemore also has excellent transport connections. You can pop on the train in the evening and wake up in London, if that's your thing.

21 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

January in Aviemore is full of posh totty up to snowboard. Far worse is Aviemore in the summer when it's rammed with fannies on stag weekends or utter arseholes up to play golf after managing to get away from their wives and depressing central belt lives for the first time in years.

Aviemore also has excellent transport connections. You can pop on the train in the evening and wake up in London, if that's your thing.