Liverpool City Council Ban FOBTs In Betting Shops

Gaz

This

Not this.

Although not a major part of the documentary, the thing that fascinated me most out of tonight's show was the scene in Bruce Millington's office.

I applied for a job with Bruce Millington when he was football editor back in 2000 (didn't get it btw), he appears to be absolutely obsessed with gambling and everything associated with it. He didn't listen to a word Steve Palmer said because he was more interested in the 3.40 at Ludlow. It wouldn't surprise me if he sees a younger version of himself in Steve Palmer. That is, when he bothers too listen to him.

Working at the Racing Post or as a trader at one of the bookmakers is such an intense job, everything is just odds, odds, odds, very fast paced environment and you can't take a week off as you're completely out of the loop when you return. The risk of burnout is huge.

Burnout and taking a week off don't really affect things as the computers have removed the intensity. Most of the starting odds are taken from betfair and then positioned so they never lose. Unlike a few years ago traders don't actually need to know their sport/area inside out unless it's things like the Olympics or big brother. Graduates who can work a pc, follow procedures and require less wages are slowly replacing the old school.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was intruiged by the traders.

I get that there has to be input into a market to price it up and create an over-round, but what I would like to have seen was how they deal with a "live market"

Maybe a golf tournament seeing as Steve Palmer was featured, or something like a live Tennis match where the odds swing back and forward.

I always assumed a software program would be involved, looking at liability and adjusting odds "live"

Surely the market moves too quickly for the traders to do manually plus the number of live events at one time)

Getting back to FOBTs, looks like they are heavily featured next week

Because he writes for the Racing Post and that would be horrendous publicity.

He does get limited. He's mentioned it before in his column that bookies he's named have allowed him an £x double for example.

His column on a Sunday is comedy genius. He is great value.

You think a bookmaker would willingly limit someone that writes for the Racing Post?

Yes, without a doubt.

Burnout and taking a week off don't really affect things as the computers have removed the intensity. Most of the starting odds are taken from betfair and then positioned so they never lose. Unlike a few years ago traders don't actually need to know their sport/area inside out unless it's things like the Olympics or big brother. Graduates who can work a pc, follow procedures and require less wages are slowly replacing the old school.

I was meaning more from the culture side of things. Okay it was only a snapshot, but it seemed from the traders featured that they all liked a punt themselves, and I know from experience that if you are trying to follow a million and one things all at the same time it gets exhausting after a while.

Surely anyone wanting to put a sizable bet on can simply get someone else to do it for them?

Not really. If you weren't a regular and suddenly appeared in a shop to put 10k on an event they'd be very suspicious

Similarly if you are a 5s and 10s a race man and try to do similar on behalf if someone ekse you'll struggle to get it on.

Fair dos. I was thinking more of people who aren't allowed to gamble. My mate puts mate on for his friend who is professional footballer for a Scottish club, and he puts sizeable bets on on behalf of his mate. They never win though :)

Fair dos. I was thinking more of people who aren't allowed to gamble. My mate puts mate on for his friend who is professional footballer for a Scottish club, and he puts sizeable bets on on behalf of his mate. They never win though :)

I didn't know bookies accepted a mate as a stake.

There's a an older woman at my local willy hill who always goes on the roulette machine. Every time without fail she puts £2 on 0 and 20p on every other number without missing one! I've never understood this, obviously she's banking on hitting 0,but why not even just put £2 on 0 and save the 7 quid or whatever you've spread on the other numbers as if she hits any number other than 0 she loses money.. Every time I'm in I see her doing this and i've never understood it.

The thing is large bets go through the system and are usually double, triple or quadruple checked and sometimes checked between several stores.

In my day Ladbrokes knocked back £300 on 11/10 shots from problem gamblers, they no longer suffer from such naivety.

The only bet I refused in 2+ years was £15k on the highland league winner, which eventually led to a blanket £50 stake on anything highland league related. For ladbrokes at least, all bets over a certain stake, dependent on circumstance and market, require head office approval wherein a punter would either be offered SP or a reduced stake if it was questionable. The idea of people being refused bets isn't quite as straightforward as the cashier turning it down straight away..

Yeah at William Hill each market had a maximum liability. If any bet went through the maximum liability that bet would have t be okayed with Head Office. If a big stake was used, head office would normally say you can get £X at 5/1 and the rest at reduced odds. In some cases the same bet would have three different odds matched when you translated it.

But if you know your liabilities and there was a large number of shops around you could easily get a high stake spread across a number of shops without raising suspicion. Doing it too often and the punter would be monitored, and then have their own liability threshold placed on them.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived