Scottish Independence - How will you vote? MkII

Ludo*1

490 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

96% of Oil, 52% of Gas equaling an overall 94% of hydrocarbon reserves lie within Scottish territorial waters as agreed in 1999 using "the median line". £10.5 billion of tax revenues was raised from Scottish territorial waters in the last financial year, reflecting 96% of Oil and Gas tax revenue intake to the UK treasury. This is the guaranteed fields that will be in Scottish control post a yes vote.

And no I'm not Ad Lib, 4th year Uni dissertation this year is on what the energy market may look like post a yes vote.

Please don't head down the pedantic route because you're doing a dissertation. :)

For all the Factortame litigation and its position in foklore, do that many Spanish boats still fish in UK waters?

Absolutely no idea.

But since you're here, what's your studied legal opinion on Spain vetoing Scotland's EU membership out of spite?

Edited by Broccoli Dog

For all the Factortame litigation and its position in foklore, do that many Spanish boats still fish in UK waters?

Yes. The "Anglo-Spanish" land mainly into Lochinver and Ullapool, think Sept this year they did twice as many landings there as Scottish boats, catch consigned for sale in Gailciain markets , they own more quota for some species than the Scottish fleet does in UK waters. Also their long liners work west of the Hebrides and the Rockall grounds along with their deep water fishing effort on the slope. Think in Galicia there are around 250,000 jobs claimed that are dependent on fishing.

The Yes campaign haven't given actual answers to whether we would get complete control over the oil industry nor whether we would lose membership in the EU, the stance of trade agreements, would be be allowed to keep the pound etc

How can the Yes campaign give answers to questions that are wholly in the remit of the UK government?

Edited by Baxter Parp

Not really true.

Countries like spain could easily block it in order to prevent encouraging independence movements in their own countries e.g. Catalonia

Spain dont recognise Kosovo for this reason.

Spain has already said they wouldn't block Scotland, as they view Scotland's independence as a constitutional matter for the UK. Spain's constitution explicitly blocks areas of Spain becoming independent.

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-politics/4428-spanish-foreign-minister-confirms-that-spain-would-accept-scottish-independence

I'm not even sure what we're debating about at this point :lol:

In any case, after seeing the replies in this thread, I'll sit down and talk through all the possible implications of independence and the resulting scenarios with my parents next time I see them and re-evaluate my decision from there.

It's all we ask for - keep an open mind, read, discuss, ask questions.

And Ned, no way are you a shitebag. You have come to your decision, I reckon it's a soft no, but please read up and find out what is important to you and for you and ask yourself can it be achieved just now under devo?

And for Gods sake find out stuff direct from yes/BT and the Scottish government.

Seeing all the Newspaper headlines this morning had cringe everywhere. Derogatory caricatures of Salmond in Braveheart costume, statements of how bad or blurry everything is.

Now I most certainly do not think the White paper on the basis of what I've seen is the by all and end all, nor do I think it has been that translucent, but the fact that there little to no statements of anything good about it, just has me at a whim about how people lap this information up and don't have the opinion to think that they might just be full of shit.

Don't worry AyrMad, I don't have the inclination to become that pedantic. Just thought it right to add my knowledge to the fray in favour of independence

Great, carry on.

The one policy that stood out in the White Paper is Thirty hours of childcare per week in term time for all three and four-year-olds, as well as vulnerable two-year-olds.

In an independent Scotland that policy is self funding. In a devolved Scotland it would be unaffordable unless we cut £700m from the Scottish fixed budget.

Many families will vote Yes on that single policy alone. I would go as far to say it's a complete game changer

Completely undecided. I will probably make a panic decision at the polling station and regret it for the rest of the day.

That's a No vote for you then I'd say, just been talking to my dad about this very thing. I'm not having a go by the way, but I would say really gather information and make a truly informed decision, that way you won't regret it.

ETA: The White Paper is obviously xbl I assume, even though he's wasn't talking about independence yesterday after his tantrum?

Edited by Desert Nomad

No from me. I think that there's too many questions that haven't been fully answered. I find irony in the fact they are going to improve education, yet the SNP/Labour council are projecting to cut millions from their education budget in the coming years. Education standards are bad enough. My son could potentially go to a school where he is in a 25% minority of Scottish kids (50% Eastern European & 25% West African) currently. That is only likely to get worse with the cut of the education budget as there will not be enough assistants in the school. Edinburghshire schools are over crowded as they are. That's only part of the reason however.

What's wrong with your kids going to the same school as Eastern Europeans/West Africans?

Are those bloody foreigners going to lead him astray?

I've been a yes voter all my life, but unfortunately I won't have a vote as I live abroad. Bit gutted,but that's life.

So I ask a favour from my fellow countrymen and women, as I would love to bring my son & daughter to an Independant Scotland, the next time we come 'home', to visit.

Do it for the children 'bairns, not bombs'

Edited by SlipperyP

I've been a yes voter all my life, but unfortunately I won't have a vote as I live abroad. Bit gutted,but that's life.

So I ask a favour from my fellow countrymen and women, as I would love to bring my son & daughter to an Independant Scotland, the next time we come 'home'.

Do it for the children 'bairns, not bombs'

If only the independent Scotland was the utopia you're making it out to be.

Not really true.

Countries like spain could easily block it in order to prevent encouraging independence movements in their own countries e.g. Catalonia

Spain dont recognise Kosovo for this reason.

Spain of course being a staunch ally of the United Kingdom and fully supportive of its claims to territorial integrity.

gibraltarrunway.jpg

:1eye = you