Scottish Independence - How will you vote? MkII

Ludo*1

490 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm pretty sure your father/mother/whoever will be just fine should the unthinkable happen. It'll take a couple of years to relocate the East Kilbride offices, and they'll be guaranteed a tidy redundancy.

Plus I'm sure Scotland will require bureaucrats of our own, and probably even an international development branch.

There is a a reply to a question on the yesscot website which confirms all uk goverment/agency staff will not lose their jobs post yes vote. As someone who falls into this sector it would be good to confirm it would be in the same or similar role. I was yes before and remain a strong yes.

On the original question, I'm voting Yes and my opinion hasn't changed from the last poll in which I also voted Yes. I have never considered myself anything other than Scottish and never identified with classic British culture. The desire to go it alone really kicked in after the UK coalition was formed in 2010. I took huge pleasure in voting for the SNP the following year in what was my first ever vote.

I was always going to vote Yes, regardless of whether the Yes Scotland campaign was shite or not. I'm voting with both my heart and my head. My parents are also voting Yes but I need to discuss the topic with my mates as it's rarely come up in conversation. As to whether I think it will happen, I honestly don't know. One week I'm confident and the next I'm a bit disheartened when I see some of the rubbish some members of the general public come out with, and I consider whether this is genuinely the majority view.

However, if it does happen, I can safely say it will be the greatest day of my life.

There is a a reply to a question on the yesscot website which confirms all uk goverment/agency staff will not lose their jobs post yes vote. As someone who falls into this sector it would be good to confirm it would be in the same or similar role. I was yes before and remain a strong yes.

Let me inform non-Dumbaron members of P&B....despite being born in the 'shire' (as it was called then...not Argyll &Bute)..I have lived and prospered in Weegie-land.....my younger sister (resident in Cumbria) points out ..'Why doesnt Glasgow go for independence?'...I promptly told her to sit down and shut up.That is all.

Edited by TONTROOPER

Let me inform non-Dumbaron members of P&B....despite being born in the 'shire' (as it was called then...not Argyll &Bute)..I have lived and prospered in Weegie-land.....my younger sister (resident in Cumbria) points out ..'Why doesnt Glasgow go for independence?'...I promptly told her to sit down and shut up.That is all.

Let's suppose Glasgow goes back to it's monkey in a red rosette habits after independence whilst the rest of Scotland remains an SNP heartland, would it be reasonable to say Glasgow has a democratic deficit?

Still a no vote for me. I've not seen anything that convinces me beyond a shadow of a doubt that we can make it by ourselves. I'm not gonna vote on a maybe or a what if.

What if the UK Government take us out of Europe? How will the Union service the debt? What if the UK Government put taxes up? What if the UK Government spend all the oil money on wars (some of them probably illegal)? What if we have to keep opening food banks so families can have a dinner? What if Energy prices keep rising?

There are as many questions to be asked of the Union and just about every politician in the UK has said that Scotland can make it on it's own. I believe David Cameron's words were "it would be ridiculous to suggest Scotland couldn't make it as an independent country", or to that effect.

Still a no vote for me. I've not seen anything that convinces me beyond a shadow of a doubt that we can make it by ourselves. I'm not gonna vote on a maybe or a what if.

We would all still be living with our parents with that attitude.

It is time for Scots to grow up and take some responsibility.

So lets do it - Vote YES!

Somewhat on the fence, but I'd lean towards no at this point. I think there are several issues that tend to get completely ignored in the campaign. The main one is the impact of UK decisions on an independent Scotland and the subsequent loss of representation that entails. I don't find the responses "the UK won't have any influence on us after independence" or "we don't have any influence as it is" convincing in that respect, so I genuinely think we do better when we have representation at both levels. Regulation in the service sector is an obvious example - if we want to maintain our single market in services in the UK we'll need to co-ordinate legislation with the rest of the UK (the EU has never been able to establish a single market for services so EU legislation isn't going to be an effective substitute).

The one thing that could change my mind is the EU issue, but I don't honestly believe the UK will leave the EU in the end. If you look at the polls for what would happen after Cameron's "renegotiation of powers" nonsense then it swings the issue on its head and you have a 2 to 1 majority for staying in the EU. Even the latest YouGov poll on the subject was split 50-50 (without mention of renegotiation of powers) and there's usually a slide towards the status quo in a referendum.

Yes from me, and both my younger brothers are in the yes camp too. My partner will take a bit more convincing but I'm working on it, I'd say she's leaning toward a yes vote.

The no camp have been unremittingly negative and their argument can be boiled down to better the devil you know. I expect the gloves aren't even off yet and the no campaign will unleash a tidal wave of nastiness and negativity the closer we get to the vote.

It's never been an economic argument for me. The issue is not independence but who makes the decisions at the top. That won't change as things stand with or without independence.

Working people will still be treated like crap no matter who wins. Scotland's problems are not the fault of the union per se but of a political system that has been abused by the ruling elites over the years. Until there is genuine democracy, one where patronage does not exist, then things won't get better.