Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

13 hours ago, BFTD said:

Yes dear. Do you have anyone who can come and pick you up?

I'm having one of those ASAP.

I manage to radiate the vibe without wearing the t-shirt.

On 01/06/2024 at 11:22, Soapy FFC said:

Is the problem not that the younger generations don't vote? You can't blame the generation that actually pulls the finger out to go and vote. Blame the younger ones for complaining rather than voting. 

At UK level, who would younger people vote for? None of the parties have policies to help them and all have policies to hurt them. The last time one of them promised something that would help, it was the Lib Dem who promised to cut tuition fees. Instead they voted to triple them. None of them are promising anything useful on housing. Stuff like Help to Buy is p*ssing around the edges and makes the core problem worse. None of them are serious on climate change. A lot of young people are also angry about Brexit because it cost them freedom of movement, and all three UK parties oppose doing anything about it. 

It's not a coincidence that in Scotland the most popular parties among young people are the SNP and the Greens, who gave them things like free tuition and free bus travel.

On 01/06/2024 at 11:41, carpetmonster said:

Well it’s certainly for the best they don’t discover Twitter and get even more racist and mental, TBF. 

Facebook is even worse than Twitter for racism and mentalism, and older people are all over it.

On 01/06/2024 at 13:31, Soapy FFC said:

That's an interesting point. Maybe controversial, but does that indicate there is a link between voting and intelligence, if you make the sweeping assumption that the more intelligent people go to university. Or is it that those who go to university, no matter the level of intelligence, are exposed to a wider range of views, influences and experiences that make them see why voting is important. 

Intelligence is obviously relevant but the main predictor of whether someone will go to university is parental income, not intelligence. Dumb kids from wealthy families are more likely to go to university than smart kids from poor families.

https://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/2019/research/genesandfamilyarebiggestpredictorofacademicsuccessstudysuggests/

I suspect the main predictor of whether someone votes is whether their parents vote, but I haven't seen any evidence.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, GordonS said:

At UK level, who would younger people vote for? None of the parties have policies to help them

Every 18 year old will be really interested in whether the triple lock on pensions will be honoured, given that the state pension will probably be abolished by the time they retire 

Edited by Derry Pele

Mrs Salt and Vinegar and my good self are in our mid-60s.  We have voted in every election and referendum since we were old enough. Neither of us have ever been members of a political party.

We have 2 lads, who are now around 30 and they have always voted too.

There is as much chance of any of the 4 of us voting Tory as there is of me being called up to the Scotland Euros squad.  Whatever age is doing to us, it's not making us any more Conservative.

12 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Mrs Salt and Vinegar and my good self are in our mid-60s.  We have voted in every election and referendum since we were old enough. Neither of us have ever been members of a political party.

There is as much chance of any of the 4 of us voting Tory as there is of me being called up to the Scotland Euros squad.  Whatever age is doing to us, it's not making us any more Conservative.

You never know, depends what the squad list is written on ...

25 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

HlDM.gif

1 hour ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Clarke hasn't decided on Dykes replacement yet.........................

Big SKy News / YouGov MRP poll due out at 5pm.  First YouGov MRP of the campaign, I think.

Redfield and WIlton mega-poll of 10,000

Another poll, the Britain Predicts model

MOre In Common / News Agents poll, slightly more favourable to the Tories, although it is still a 1997-esque wipeout.  SNP do pretty well in this poll.

Interestingly they have an even more severe SNP wipeout from Labour in the central belt than expected but the SNP gaining a load of Lib Dem seats and nearly getting Orkney and Shetland. 

Scottish projection looks a wee bit off IMO. I don't see the Lib Dems dropping seats to an SNP seeing their vote share declining and I reckon the SNP will hold a few more of the central belt seats yougov projects them to lose. 

3 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Interestingly they have an even more severe SNP wipeout from Labour in the central belt than expected but the SNP gaining a load of Lib Dem seats and nearly getting Orkney and Shetland. 

More chance of Scotland winning the Euros than SNP winning up there. 

I think the SNP will win seats from the Tories in the North East, Aberdeenshire.  Doubt they'll do it in the Borders though.

On 03/06/2024 at 10:23, Salt n Vinegar said:

Just as an aside the Mayor of Wellington in New Zealand is Tory Whanau who is a member of the Green Party.

Tory Whanau.jpg