SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

I still stay with my parents so it works out well. They go on holiday and either myself or my sister are there, and vice Versa.

If people are on shift patterns, and are very likely to be around about the home during the day it works out well. Very well worth it in my opinion. Until they climb on the table and steal your fucking tea like one of mine.

3 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Alright you dog loving people, final piece of the puzzle for me and the family i feel Is having a dog. Been brought up with dogs all my life. Problem i have is they fairly tie you down. When it comes to having children /going on holiday how easy would you say it is to juggle all that?
I know far to many people who have dogs for in my opinion the wrong reasons n don't look after them properly.

I always say that a family unit is complete with a dog ,I've got lots of great memories of us and the kids playing on the beach,park or back garden with the dogs we've had and everyone settled in front of the telly for a movie with the mutts sprawled over us. Owning a dog is a brilliant thing to do.

200804092066_gijsje.JPG_w450.jpg.c3ed83e0828938341f05cd5d3795c17f.jpg

Been thinking about getting a dachshund for a few years now but even more so as my daughter seems obsessed with our neighbours!

I've heard its best to get a male as females can be more work when in season. Is this true? Any other tips would be appreciated.

13 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Alright you dog loving people, final piece of the puzzle for me and the family i feel Is having a dog. Been brought up with dogs all my life. Problem i have is they fairly tie you down. When it comes to having children /going on holiday how easy would you say it is to juggle all that?
I know far to many people who have dogs for in my opinion the wrong reasons n don't look after them properly.

We're pretty lucky that both my in-laws took early retirement, as did my dad, so they take her when needed. We're away to Thailand and Dubai tomorrow for two weeks, and she's going up to Golspie to stay with my dad for it. We'd likely use kennels if really needed, but thankfully haven't had to so far. Dogs are tremendous, but they're definitely a lot of work and responsibility.

We were in the same position. In-laws retired who love dogs so plan holidays around their availability to look after Maggie. We have recently moved 2 hours away from them however so have to rely on a dog walker for when my Mrs is working. I work shifts so only have the walker around 8 times a month. We don't have kids so not got that problem. Having a dog is fucking magic.

18 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Mine comes to work with me every day. He just sleeps all day and goes out for a piss once or twice. He needs a good run every day too and more attention at the weekend. We got a breed that's notoriously lazy and sleepy so he fits in pretty well, though is a pain when it comes to spur of the moment stuff. It's a bit like having a toddler at home, always having to make allowances for their presence but overall if you have the inclination to care for one it should be a good addition to the family and kids go nuts for puppies.

643ea58b6099626f739a1e13ecfa665f.jpg

We adopted Breeze just over a year ago and she's settled in well, she's decided that this is now her chair and likes to sleep on it like this.

57aa837c072ffe2e087dd9d1f2ccc0a8.jpg

Meanwhile my older more mature dug Rory prefers doing this.

11 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Me, the missus and the weans are thinking of getting a pup. Looking for a small to medium size dug ie not a wee ratty thing but probably not as big as a lab. Needs to be family friendly and not too demanding with walks etc... so medium energy. Anyone got any suggestions of breeds?

A mongrel from a dogs home.

Mongrels tend to pick up the best qualities from their various breeds, and you'd be doing a huge favour by giving a a forever home to a rescued dog .