The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

To add a frisson of excitement, I've decided to provide a running commentary of my thought process for this. Don't view the spoiler if you've not taken the quiz...

Which two people received the 2016 Young Australian of the Year Award?

Tania Major, Nic Marchesi
Scott Hocknull, Marita Cheng
Marita Cheng, Tania Major
Nic Marchesi, Lucas Patchett

Jesus. Cracking start. The question might as well be "Which two people you've never heard of have done something you don't know anything about?" 

Well Marita, Nic and Tania all appear twice so it must be a combination of those three. That eliminates B and D. Total coin flip. I'll go for C. You wouldn't start on an A. That's cheating. 

Beatrix "Trixie" Franklin is one of the main characters in which TV series?

Call the Midwife
Love Child
Downton Abbey
Mad Men

Sigh. Never watched any of them. Haven't even heard of Love Child. However, Beatrix is a name you don't hear these days, and Downton Abbey is quite old so I'll go for that. 

Ah shit. Second C in a row. Next one can't be a C. 

Which one of these teams did not play in the 2016 NRL preliminary finals?

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
Brisbane Broncos
Canberra Raiders
Melbourne Storm

Oh my giddy aunt. Well, it's obviousuly not the Canberra Raiders as it's C. A sounds like a team that would be made to play all the preliminary finals (what the f**k is a preliminary final ... is it for good teams or bad?) ... I'll go for D since that's where Neighbours and Prisoner were set.

In which part of Spain is Madrid located?

Central
North western
North eastern
South western

Now we're talking. Pretty sure it's bang in the centre, although given my logic for question 1, I should really go with North western. But sod it... go with your gut. 

Which one of these things is most closely associated to rime?

Traffic
Garbage
Steel
Frost

Well, I know the Rime of the Ancient Mariner. The traffic of the ancient mariner? The garbage of the ancient mariner? Jesus... I thought a rime was a tale. Well the most obvious answer is Frost but I'm stabbing in the dark here. 

Marcel Duchamp’s artwork, The Bride Stripped Bare by Her Bachelors, Even, is often referred to as The Large what?

Body
Glass
Head
Frame

Back to guesswork. I'm thinking Glass simply cos she might have an hourglass figure. But I've really no idea. 

What name is given to the official residence of the Prime Minister of New Zealand?

Colonial House
Her Majesty's House
Premier House
Government House

Hmmm. No idea. I'll go for the last one simply because it's the most uninspiring. This isn't looking good.

The 1975 novel, Changing Places, was the first novel in a series known as the Campus Trilogy by which author?

Robert Aickman
David Lodge
Thomas Berger
James Clavell

Say what now? Well I've read some Clavell so I'll eliminate him from my enquiries. I've never heard of David Lodge so I'll go for him. 

Who scored 85 runs in the final of the 2016 ICC World Twenty20?

Marlon Samuels
Darren Sammy
Chris Gayle
Dwayne Bravo

I could write everything I know about cricket on the back of a stamp. I'll go for C since I've not had one in a while. 

In 2016, which movie won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature?

Shaun the Sheep Movie
Inside Out
Anomalisa
Boy and the World

Don't think it was Shaun. Never heard of the other three. If I was going to write an Oscar winning cartoon, what would I call it? Why I'd call it Anomalisa cos that would get people talking. (Mainly saying "What the f**k does that mean?").

4 out of 10. What a waste of fucking time that was. Next time I'm not going to bother putting any thought into it. 

With my excitement at Stranraer drawing East Kilbride in the "real cup".. I completely forgot about the semi-final draw. And here it is...

Jagfox99 vs WhiteRoseKillie

The_Kincardine vs Alang1993

Both ties to be played at Hampden (sorry Kincardine) at any point between now and Friday lunchtime. 

Edmund has sent me a stinker of a tie-break quiz if it's required, but in the meantime ... here is your quiz. No more guess-bombing your way through the rounds... from now you'll need to PM me your answers...

1. Whose autobiography, completed by his wife following his death in 2004, was entitled 'Margrave of the Marshes'?

2. What was the European Recovery Programme, which began operating in 1948, better known as?

3. Which company, which collapsed in 2002, was described by the Financial Times as 'a virtual company with virtual profits'?

4. Glorious, Orange, Rose, Velvet. What's the link?

5. Which English cricket fixture began in 1807 and continued on a regular basis until 1962?

6. Pluviometry is the measurement of what?

7. Where did a 19-year-old West German, Matthias Rust, land his Cessna aeroplane in 1987?

8. 'Why Men Fight' (1916), 'Why I Am Not a Christian' (1927), 'The Conquest of Happiness' (1930), 'In Praise of Idleness' (1935): all works by which philosopher?

9. Dalton Trumbo, Ring Lardner, Jr, Edward Dmytryk and seven others: what were they known as?

10. Which football ground was the home of Everton FC from 1884 until a rent dispute in 1891?

Good luck!

6 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

With my excitement at Stranraer drawing East Kilbride in the "real cup".. I completely forgot about the semi-final draw. And here it is...

Jagfox99 vs WhiteRoseKillie

The_Kincardine vs Alang1993

Both ties to be played at Hampden (sorry Kincardine) at any point between now and Friday lunchtime. 

Edmund has sent me a stinker of a tie-break quiz if it's required, but in the meantime ... here is your quiz. No more guess-bombing your way through the rounds... from now you'll need to PM me your answers...

1. Whose autobiography, completed by his wife following his death in 2004, was entitled 'Margrave of the Marshes'?

2. What was the European Recovery Programme, which began operating in 1948, better known as?

3. Which company, which collapsed in 2002, was described by the Financial Times as 'a virtual company with virtual profits'?

4. Glorious, Orange, Rose, Velvet. What's the link?

5. Which English cricket fixture began in 1807 and continued on a regular basis until 1962?

6. Pluviometry is the measurement of what?

OK I know 5/6 so far.  if it's at Hampden can I kick off at the Rangers' end and hope it's raining?  

A thrilling early kick-off from Hampden...

The_Kincardine 8-7 Alang1993

Kincardine edges it in a 15 goal thriller. Sadly, for Alang1993, being denied access to the home changing rooms and being asked a cricket question proved too much of an obstacle. The petulant young manager faces being dragged in front of the CIMTDDJJC beaks for comments made in the post-match interview, stating "English cricket can go f**k itself :lol:".

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu