The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

Nice work Kincardine! My only slightly-too-late suggestion would have been to delve back some pages to see a typical page where the vitriolic dismissal of Aussie politics, culture and sport questions was at its most humorous, but then again, that page you posted pretty much summed it up.

Not sure how it would work if they (or anyone else) fronted up with a prize (I think my score might improve) but nice idea :)

Did think of emailing a while back and ask them shoe-horn a "totally obvious to P+Bers but not to anyone else" type question, but I couldn't think of one so abandoned the idea.

Still, kudos. Even a reply or a menshie would be a victory!

23 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Not sure how it would work if they (or anyone else) fronted up with a prize (I think my score might improve) but nice idea :)

No idea either.  IF I get a reply I will pass the baton to you with your email address - assuming that's ok.  You are, of course, the bloke who makes the thread work.

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

5.5 for Frankie's impossible quiz which I'm well chuffed with. Actually read an email from the Mexican office explaining they were on holiday due to their first indigenous president and I actually remembered the name thinking it might come in useful. Never thought it would happen so soon, nor that anything I learned at work would ever come in useful. So nice. 

I had a different route to that answer. I remembered that the Mexican town, just over the border from El Paso, in the movie Sicario was named after this President. Read up about it at the time - notorious for drug-related violence, it's home to one of Mexico's most notorious cartels.

Anyway, admit it was a very tough quiz. Speaking of which, inspired by all the random guessing involved in our daily diet of Aussie sports, Aussie politics and Aussie reality TV shows, I'm in the midst of creating an 'Almost Impossible Quiz' - a multi choice quiz where I expect most participants will know none of the answers, thus completely randomising scoring.

If we're going to subject ourselves to a daily quiz in which at least 25% of the questions are Aussie esoterica, then we might as well have an occasional quiz that is 100% guess-tastic. Will post a link soon...

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

A desultory 5/10.

I did, though, send an email to The Austrailian as I thought they should know about us.  I'll keep you posted if I get a reply:

I've usually received a response from them when I've had to complain on our behalf when they forget to post the quiz or post a repeat of an earlier quiz, although that's using the customersupport@theaustralian.com.au . I have let them know that we exist in any complaint messages and prior to the start of the football season asked them to include an Aussie/Scottish P+B type question about which club did Jackson Irvine play for (Dundee, QoS, Ross County or Raith Rovers) but the long haired one went and did a Burton.

5 minutes ago, Eednud said:

I've usually received a response from them when I've had to complain on our behalf when they forget to post the quiz or post a repeat of an earlier quiz, although that's using the customersupport@theaustralian.com.au . I have let them know that we exist in any complaint messages 

So they must see us as shining wits?

44 minutes ago, Swarley said:

I'm willing to be interviewed in person if they want. I believe I'm the least geeky, most photogenic of the regular Aussie based quizzers.

So why is your avatar so hideous?! I might have asked this before in a drunken funk, but who is that in the photo? The best guess I can muster is one of the WWF's Bushwhackers, but they were from New Zealand.