The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

3 minutes ago, supermik said:

:lol:. Really didn't have a clue so no matter. Was just surprised to be in the playoffs since I had only claimed for a 3 on the Friday quiz after amendments for the wrong right answer.

Jesus. I stuck you down for a four. Hopefully no-one will notice

7 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

This must be the friendliest thread on P&B. There should be some sort of nobel prize for this!

7 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

According to Kincardine, the Pregnancy + Childbirth thread is even friendlier, but I reckon it might be a bit weird posting in there if you don't have children or a pregnant missus!

I shan't revisit the Quiz vs the P&P threads debate but I will make one observation...the more people have joined the leagues and the cup the better the thread's become.  Good banter, good manners and not a hint of dummy-spitting {edit} until eckterinathearab gives you a shitty away tie in the cup when she should know better.

Edited by The_Kincardine

I shan't revisit the Quiz vs the P&P threads debate but I will make one observation...the more people have joined the leagues and the cup the better the thread's become.  Good banter, good manners and not a hint of dummy-spitting.

Absolutely spot on Kincy. I first came in here around September/October time and at no point since has there been any animosity or bickering. There's not another thread I go in where there isn't someone being a knob hence not being a regular contributor anywhere else. I may not be a quizmaster but that's not really the point tbf. And in fairness to Cardy, he's a fairly jovial chap who keeps things ticking along.

9 minutes ago, eckthearab said:

Absolutely spot on Kincy. I first came in here around September/October time and at no point since has there been any animosity or bickering. There's not another thread I go in where there isn't someone being a knob hence not being a regular contributor anywhere else. I may not be a quizmaster but that's not really the point tbf. And in fairness to Cardy, he's a fairly jovial chap who keeps things ticking along.

Jovial and knowledgeable.  I bet he gets all the 'fleg' questions right AND he moderates the thread with a light and amusing touch.  And to think my Reformation antecedents lambasted The Curia 

"Fairly jovial" ... damning faint praise indeed!

This thread is rather like QI (unless it's turned nasty... not seen it in years) ... light-hearted and sometimes enlightening ... some good-natured ribbing but it never oversteps the mark. A wide range of knowledge on display from Alan Davies being the journeyman, to Rory McGrath spouting off Latin names for birds and polymaths like Stephen Fry. But it wouldn't work without a wide mix of participants. 

What I find surprising is the number of lurkers who pop in occasionally - such as to give condolences to SlipperyP or to post a unusually high score. Long may it continue. 

Forgot to say, while we're all giving each other reacharounds ... Eck has done a fine job of taking on the mantle of managing the Cup ... his cup reports breathe new life in what could easily have become a tired format. And while we're on the subject, what happened to Frankie's impossible quiz?!

19 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Forgot to say, while we're all giving each other reacharounds ... Eck has done a fine job of taking on the mantle of managing the Cup ... his cup reports breathe new life in what could easily have become a tired format. And while we're on the subject, what happened to Frankie's impossible quiz?!

Eck and Cardi...the thinking man's Regan and Doncaster IMO ;)

2 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Oh, it's almost written. I'll post it soon. It's pleasingly tough, but I need to tweak it slightly to make it even harder. Been quite busy of late, with work and pub quizzes. Quiz on Monday night, Quiz on Wed night, Quiz on Sat afternoon. Quiz is taking over my life! 

2 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Oh, it's almost written. I'll post it soon. It's pleasingly tough, but I need to tweak it slightly to make it even harder. Been quite busy of late, with work and pub quizzes. Quiz on Monday night, Quiz on Wed night, Quiz on Sat afternoon. Quiz is taking over my life! 

Have you or Whiterosekillie ever been on telly quizzes?

36 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Have you or Whiterosekillie ever been on telly quizzes?

Brilliant 'starter for 10' question, Welshy.

IMO the players one would pick for University Challenge aren't quite the same as those on, say The Chase or Pointless.  It'd be fascinating to see groups of us compete, though.

Edit:  Is there a telly quiz we could/should apply for?  Not to be serious but just for a laugh?

Edited by The_Kincardine

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Brilliant 'starter for 10' question, Welshy.

IMO the players one would pick for University Challenge aren't quite the same as those on, say The Chase or Pointless.  It'd be fascinating to see groups of us compete, though.

Edit:  Is there a telly quiz we could/should apply for?  Not to be serious but just for a laugh?

I think Craigkillie did quite well on a TV quiz once, maybe Countdown. I'd be shite, unless it was Pointless restricted to Scottish Football questions. Albion Rovers is the correct answer BTW.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think Craigkillie did quite well on a TV quiz once, maybe Countdown. I'd be shite, unless it was Pointless restricted to Scottish Football questions. Albion Rovers is the correct answer BTW.

I've been waiting for 'Scottish Cup Winners' to come up so I can cooly state - Third Lanark, Renton, and St Johnstone

"FA Cup runners-up" was a good category. The Scottish Finalist were among the "Pointless" answers.

ETA: I'm pretty sure they've had Scottish Cup Winners, as remember Osman talking about Renton, saying that they beat whoever was FA Cup Winners at the time shortly afterwards and how amazing it was that a team from a small town could claim to be the best team in the World.

I think Clyde scored zero too, cheeky fucks.

I've been waiting for 'Scottish Cup Winners' to come up so I can cooly state - Third Lanark, Renton, and St Johnstone

Founding members of the Scottish Football League came up in the final round one day, nailed 3 pointless answers with Cowlairs, Abercorn and Renton.