Battle of Brittain - Ross County vs St Johnstone

I'd give you Inverness over Perth, PKC have a lot to answer for and Inverness seems to be a city going somewhere

But id not want to be so far from Glasgow/Edinburgh airports and facilities, even Dundee has it benefits living in Perth

Yeah. Dingwall is a pishy village, miles away from civilisation. Only thing there of note is the football club. Perth wins by default of being closer to places where things happen. Like Glasgow.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did the wee troop of wannabe Saint Johnstone casuals steal anything this time?

EDIT: Some Saintees on Twitter saying that Saint Johnstone fans were "assaulted" by the stewards yesterday and that others were thrown off the train back South. This game sounds pwaper naughty.

Yeah. Dingwall is a pishy village, miles away from civilisation. Only thing there of note is the football club.

How very dare you. Cafe India is one of the best in Scotland, Cockburns were the first world champion Haggis makers, we have a Wimpy, and the Caley bar puts most Glasgow/Edinburgh nightclubs to shame - they were even handing out free sausage rolls on Hogmanay.

It's still about balance in style of play though. For 89 minutes yesterday we defended well and for 86 minutes did the same at Inverness. Again at Hibs we were solid with ten men and also in the half at Firhill. Outside of that Thistle game we struggled to create a chance in the three full games though. On the flip side, we create plenty at Motherwell but get scudded 4-0 by not defending (as a back four unit and a team) properly. The manager needs to find the middle ground and quickly.

It won't take too much, I don't suppose.

The way that St Johnstone carried the ball in the first 20 minutes suggested to me that May and Hasselbaink were going to get at least one really good one-on-one chance with County's goalkeeper. Kettlewell and Carey stood off Davidson and McDonald respectively, while the wide midfielders often had plenty time to look up and find a pass. Some of the through balls behind County's defence were on the cusp of finding a touch, but the majority of them were overhit and wasted.

That made me wonder why Wotherspoon was stuck on the left for 95% of the game. He won a fair few headers against Ben Gordon (who went on to have a really good game in an unfamiliar position, by both staying compact beside Boyd and getting up the pitch), but on the whole Wotherspoon was wasted out there. The whole 4-4-2 system seemed set up to allow one of the wide midfielders to come off the flank and behind Kettlewell & Carey, but it didn't really happen enough.

I guess that Wright needed some width, and with Scobbie not exactly a flying full-back (I remember him overlapping once quite well in the second half but that was it), Wotherspoon had to stay out there. With Brian Easton, Wotherspoon would be able to come from there more readily, but I still think it was a missed opportunity given how narrow County were on that side of the pitch anyway. With forwards like May and Hasselbaink the through ball is an obvious weapon, but against other 4-4-2 teams there's likely to be stalemate until the wide midfielders can drift in and create something. Dylan Easton would be perfect at such a job, but he probably won't be given the run to adjust to the level.

I think that's the frustration, bunglebonce. We've got a squad full of fairly similar players all over the park, so if Plan A doesn't work, we don't really have a feasible Plan B. It's so frustrating to see that, with our toils just now, Wright is so unwilling to either start Lee Croft, who of all the players we have probably has the best pedigree, or give a guy like Easton who is a bit more maverick a chance.

The next 3 games are absolutely crucial for us now in the league. If we fail to win any of them, we are absolutely looking down rather than up, especially considering the likes of County and Kilmarnock (even Thistle) have started picking up points. If we do win all 3 (which is obviously a gigantic ask) then the relegation play-off really shouldn't be an issue for us and we can start looking up rather than down.

For all this talk of youth is the future for Saints, we've not really been given guys who certainly have the potential to play at this level a chance. It's infuriating seeing shite like Fallon and pre-December Edwards on the bench ahead of Easton, Kane, Brown, Caddis etc.

On another point, I was delighted to see Jordan Slew do so well against the St Johnstone defence. I have huge respect for Wright and Anderson as a partnership and County have never got behind them in all of the fixtures since Ross County's promotion. It was only a stupid lapse of concentration that allowed de Leeuw to get in for the goal, but I think Slew stood up to them better than any County forward has done before. That definitely bodes well for the rest of the season, because the other 'bogey' defence in that respect was ICT's - Slew turned them with even greater success than against St Johnstone.

It won't take too much, I don't suppose.

The way that St Johnstone carried the ball in the first 20 minutes suggested to me that May and Hasselbaink were going to get at least one really good one-on-one chance with County's goalkeeper. Kettlewell and Carey stood off Davidson and McDonald respectively, while the wide midfielders often had plenty time to look up and find a pass. Some of the through balls behind County's defence were on the cusp of finding a touch, but the majority of them were overhit and wasted.

That made me wonder why Wotherspoon was stuck on the left for 95% of the game. He won a fair few headers against Ben Gordon (who went on to have a really good game in an unfamiliar position, by both staying compact beside Boyd and getting up the pitch), but on the whole Wotherspoon was wasted out there. The whole 4-4-2 system seemed set up to allow one of the wide midfielders to come off the flank and behind Kettlewell & Carey, but it didn't really happen enough.

I guess that Wright needed some width, and with Scobbie not exactly a flying full-back (I remember him overlapping once quite well in the second half but that was it), Wotherspoon had to stay out there. With Brian Easton, Wotherspoon would be able to come from there more readily, but I still think it was a missed opportunity given how narrow County were on that side of the pitch anyway. With forwards like May and Hasselbaink the through ball is an obvious weapon, but against other 4-4-2 teams there's likely to be stalemate until the wide midfielders can drift in and create something. Dylan Easton would be perfect at such a job, but he probably won't be given the run to adjust to the level.

I think it was a few months ago I started saying it shouldn't take too much to sort things out and yet we are still waiting.

Saw nothing positive in our attacking play on Saturday and it was as plodding and as painful a performance in that aspect as I've seen since the 2-0 defeat to Hearts (away, naturally) in March.

Wotherspoon played on the left because other than Hasselbaink - who was required up front to prevent us being subjected to Fallon - we have no other options out there. Wotherspoon isn't comfortable there though and looks to me like he hates playing there. Yet we have him and Millar capable of playing on the right... and Tommy Wright signs Lee Croft as well with a very limited budget.

Dylan Easton just signed a new contract until 2016, so must be in the manager's thoughts as he'll be too old for the U20 league next season I think.

I thought Slew was alright on Saturday but felt Wright and Anderson handled him quite well. Not that he has much to live up to but he does look an improvement on what County have had in the past.

• 1 year later...

Money well spent IMO. He likely earns more at Brora than he would be at us, funnily enough.

Nothing strange about it whatsoever.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but let me explain what I find strange about it: Bumping a year and a half old match thread, specifically, as the place to discuss Richard Brittain moving to Brora Rangers.

I don't think wanting to discuss it is strange, nor that wanting to attract County and St Johnstone fans' attention to the discussion is strange. In my opinion, bumping the "Richard Brittain does a u-turn" thread would be more appropriate ('less strange'), or even starting a new thread called something fantazmagorical like "The 'Richard Brittain moves from Ross County to Brora Rangers, I wonder what St Johnstone fans and everyone else think about that' thread."

http://www.brorarang...ews/view/889348

Brittain said, Brora is my choice, they are a big club in the Highland League and it is great to be back playing alongside my old team mate from my Caley and County days, Grant Munro...'

When was Brittain at Caley?

On a semi related note Grant Munro is the fattest man I have ever seen on a football field. His gut hangs over his shorts.

The highland league must be utter garbage these days.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but let me explain what I find strange about it: Bumping a year and a half old match thread, specifically, as the place to discuss Richard Brittain moving to Brora Rangers.

I don't think wanting to discuss it is strange, nor that wanting to attract County and St Johnstone fans' attention to the discussion is strange. In my opinion, bumping the "Richard Brittain does a u-turn" thread would be more appropriate ('less strange'), or even starting a new thread called something fantazmagorical like "The 'Richard Brittain moves from Ross County to Brora Rangers, I wonder what St Johnstone fans and everyone else think about that' thread."

It was a big story at the time, and Brittain's latest move adds a twist to it, and offers a bit of closure.

Perfectly valid bump - I don't get your objections at all.

1. It was a big story at the time, and Brittain's latest move adds a twist to it, and offers a bit of closure.

2. Perfectly valid bump - I don't get your objections at all.

1. I agree completely.

2. No problem.

And since here is where we have settled on for discussing it:

The whole thing is an interesting one - in a sense, it feels like (after all) he did play out the final years of his career as a Staggie, which many will be happy about compared to him moving on to some rival team. Obviously his career isn't over, and who knows - he might end up in league 1 with Brora a couple of years down the line! The other side of the coin is, many fellow County fans (who actually get to games, even including DL where he featured a lot more this season) think he is a big loss and could have still done a job for us or someone else at a similar level. So, (again 'in a sense'), it's a shame for him that his career didn't continue at a higher level. But that is his choice, and that tweet that was posted gives me the impression he's made the right decision (again) for himself and his family. There IS a 'bigger picture', everyone has the right to their own priorities and their own individual commitments / sacrifices.

Archived