Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

5 hours ago, amnarab said:

Definitely recommend Amazon Primes The Boys. Just watched series 1 (8 episodes). Superheroes that are bad and bad guys that are good! Lots of adult humour blood and swearing and not for kids

The Boys thread for this pish.

Spoiler

I agree, it is excellent. When you've watched all 3 seasons, watch Gen V (the spin off). 

41 minutes ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Delighted for the two twinks on Race Across the World. Okay it was edited but what a finish. I love this programme

It’s been a really good series, pleased that the two lads won it.

Haven’t seen the reunion episode yet so will catch up on that over the next couple of days.

The next celeb version will be along shortly.

5 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

It’s been a really good series, pleased that the two lads won it.

Haven’t seen the reunion episode yet so will catch up on that over the next couple of days.

The next celeb version will be along shortly.

Watching the reunion just now. It's genuinely brilliant 

Disappointed we didn't see how the brother and sister managed to complete the last leg on a tenner. And the old guy's approach of saving the cash so they could go quick at the end turned out well 🙄

The penultimate couple of legs really stretched the contestants in Race Across the World this year, although for the siblings it was their own doing. The older couple seemed to dither through a bit in those legs too. I don’t think the public transport options helped them mind you.

I enjoyed this series as much as others but can’t say I warmed to any of the teams as much as I’ve done in the past.

I started watching a 'documentary' on Channel 4, The Nevermets and have stuck it for two episodes.  It's about people who are in long-distance, online relationships with people they have never met.  The first couple of episodes have focused on three relationships - Jay is a 17 year old English lad who is in a long-term LDR (long distance relationship) with a 27 year old Indian Veena.  They met on a Game of Thrones forum where they bonded over his fan fiction and exchanged romantic messages until it came out he was only 15.  She was undetered and he is now going away from his parents for the first time to meet her, and her family.

The second couple is a 38 year old English woman Sarah and her 27 year old Filipino boyfriend Jgoy.  She seems positive but with some reservations after having relationship problems in the past and not liking aspects of Jgoy's lifestyle, going out with his mates etc.  Sarah is going to travel to Jgoy's home in the Phillipines for a visit.

The third couple is a Nigerian-British young woman, 25 year old Dumebi.  She is looking forward to a meeting with her prospective beau Mazi in Dubai.  He works in various high flying jobs, posts social media videos of himself handing over large cash gifts at weddings but when they had previously arranged to meet he didn't show.  

The Guardian review sums it up nicely 

Are you mildly depressed? Would you like to stay mildly depressed? Welcome, then, to The Nevermets

Every couple has massive issues and are clearly mismatched, in rather tragic ways.  Jay is a gangly, gormless 17 year old, a nice lad but when he walks into the full Indian extended family wedding planning session just as he gets off a 12 hour flight and meets his 'girlfriend' and is clearly massively freaked out.  He is extremely unworldy - he can't eat the traditional Indian food he is given when he arrives, he confesses he's never even had an Indian takeaway and has to order a McDOnalds to get something to eat.  Veena's relatives are liteally measuring them up for a wedding, it's clear that he is not ready.  Her family even make homemade chicken dippers and fish fingers for him to make him feel at home.

Sarah and Jgoy are probably the most awkward of the couples.  She refers to her difficulty trusting partners and is clearly uncomfortable with the physical attention she gets from Jgoy as soon as she arrives.  He obviously thinks he is being a loving partner by touching her, having his arm round her, kissing her but she finds it too much.  It's a clear indiciation of the limits of online only interaction - if they had met physically they'd be able to build it up slowly and feel each other out (steady!) but she lands after a 14 hour flight and has this younger guy all over her like a 1970s BBC presenter.  Later, it gets worse as he tries to get her to wear revealing clothing she doesn't want to and then he and his mate have utterly cringe inducing 'banter' at a meal.  Forget generational, geographic, cultural, language barriers, their chat is truly awful and I can't imagine a bigger woman-repellent.  I can't repeat it on here, a family site, but it's awful.  She is clearly horrified and as the episode ends is preparing to scarper from his flat to a hotel.

Dumebi has a lovely family, who are clearly protective of her and looking out for her.  Her mother and sisters are all very supportive but fair in warning her of the risks.  She ends up being stood up again by her man, who absolutely clearly is a scammer or is married with a load of kids.  It's a shame as Dumebi seems like a nice person and is absolutely beautiful, I find it hard to believe she can't find a partner in day-to-day life.  What a shame.

As the Guardian review says it's a superficially interesting programme that just depressingly reveals most of the cliched things that we all kind of know are true to don't want to believe - older women aren't as horny as 20 something men and don't want them slobbering all over them; if a man lives in Dubai and flashes cash on social media he's probably a huckster.  The Jay and Veena couple is probably the first time in history an older woman from abroad has tried to groom an underage British guy and the whole thing is very weird but the guy is a wee laddie and the whole thing is odd.  Veena seems like a bit of a go-getter, has a good job, independent streak in her and Jay comes across like his parents stopped wiping his arse about two weeks ago.

Overall, I felt a bit sad for the participants watching it and angry at myself for watching it expecting something different.  Can't wait for episode three!

16 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I started watching a 'documentary' on Channel 4, The Nevermets and have stuck it for two episodes.  It's about people who are in long-distance, online relationships with people they have never met.  The first couple of episodes have focused on three relationships - Jay is a 17 year old English lad who is in a long-term LDR (long distance relationship) with a 27 year old Indian Veena.  They met on a Game of Thrones forum where they bonded over his fan fiction and exchanged romantic messages until it came out he was only 15.  She was undetered and he is now going away from his parents for the first time to meet her, and her family.

The second couple is a 38 year old English woman Sarah and her 27 year old Filipino boyfriend Jgoy.  She seems positive but with some reservations after having relationship problems in the past and not liking aspects of Jgoy's lifestyle, going out with his mates etc.  Sarah is going to travel to Jgoy's home in the Phillipines for a visit.

The third couple is a Nigerian-British young woman, 25 year old Dumebi.  She is looking forward to a meeting with her prospective beau Mazi in Dubai.  He works in various high flying jobs, posts social media videos of himself handing over large cash gifts at weddings but when they had previously arranged to meet he didn't show.  

Every couple has massive issues and are clearly mismatched, in rather tragic ways.  Jay is a gangly, gormless 17 year old, a nice lad but when he walks into the full Indian extended family wedding planning session just as he gets off a 12 hour flight and meets his 'girlfriend' and is clearly massively freaked out.  He is extremely unworldy - he can't eat the traditional Indian food he is given when he arrives, he confesses he's never even had an Indian takeaway and has to order a McDOnalds to get something to eat.  Veena's relatives are liteally measuring them up for a wedding, it's clear that he is not ready.  Her family even make homemade chicken dippers and fish fingers for him to make him feel at home.

Sarah and Jgoy are probably the most awkward of the couples.  She refers to her difficulty trusting partners and is clearly uncomfortable with the physical attention she gets from Jgoy as soon as she arrives.  He obviously thinks he is being a loving partner by touching her, having his arm round her, kissing her but she finds it too much.  It's a clear indiciation of the limits of online only interaction - if they had met physically they'd be able to build it up slowly and feel each other out (steady!) but she lands after a 14 hour flight and has this younger guy all over her like a 1970s BBC presenter.  Later, it gets worse as he tries to get her to wear revealing clothing she doesn't want to and then he and his mate have utterly cringe inducing 'banter' at a meal.  Forget generational, geographic, cultural, language barriers, their chat is truly awful and I can't imagine a bigger woman-repellent.  I can't repeat it on here, a family site, but it's awful.  She is clearly horrified and as the episode ends is preparing to scarper from his flat to a hotel.

Dumebi has a lovely family, who are clearly protective of her and looking out for her.  Her mother and sisters are all very supportive but fair in warning her of the risks.  She ends up being stood up again by her man, who absolutely clearly is a scammer or is married with a load of kids.  It's a shame as Dumebi seems like a nice person and is absolutely beautiful, I find it hard to believe she can't find a partner in day-to-day life.  What a shame.

As the Guardian review says it's a superficially interesting programme that just depressingly reveals most of the cliched things that we all kind of know are true to don't want to believe - older women aren't as horny as 20 something men and don't want them slobbering all over them; if a man lives in Dubai and flashes cash on social media he's probably a huckster.  The Jay and Veena couple is probably the first time in history an older woman from abroad has tried to groom an underage British guy and the whole thing is very weird but the guy is a wee laddie and the whole thing is odd.  Veena seems like a bit of a go-getter, has a good job, independent streak in her and Jay comes across like his parents stopped wiping his arse about two weeks ago.

Overall, I felt a bit sad for the participants watching it and angry at myself for watching it expecting something different.  Can't wait for episode three!

There's a Scottish girl in this, judging by the adverts. Let us (me) know how it goes.

13 hours ago, ICTChris said:

No much point watchin it now tbh 

47 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

I think it was probably made a few years ago but there was a programme on about Tommy Burns last night on Alba. Very good watch and very sad. Seemed like a thoroughly decent bloke.

They also showed one about Jimmy Johnstone.

50 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

I think it was probably made a few years ago but there was a programme on about Tommy Burns last night on Alba. Very good watch and very sad. Seemed like a thoroughly decent bloke.

He was an absolutely brilliant guy. I’ve told this story before but when I used to do media work with Falkirk I would say to just about everyone as they passed “How’s it going?” And most would say “fine, you” and walk on, Tommy Burns would actually wait for me to answer him and then chat. Diamond of a guy. 

I have banged the drum about this show before, but worth saying again. 

There are now 4 series of Accused: Guilty of Innocent available to watch. I have virgin media so I watch it on demand via channel 5. 

Basically it covers a real US court case; the build up to it, the case itself and then what happens. Focuses on the defendant's point of view. Imagine 24 hours in police custody but once the arrest etc has been made. 

Really worth a watch. 

Lost Boys and Fairies on iPlayer - really good 3 parter about a couple going through the adoption process.

A few dark moments and didn’t see the twist coming but there’s a sense of humour to the writing which I liked.

Enjoyed the performances of the main characters and their social worker as well.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Crying like a baby at the final of the Piano. Brad seems like a real decent human being. 

That was a tremendous series this time around.

Brad is definitely one of the good guys.

Series 3 already confirmed too.

I watched the three part documentary on Channel 4 The Fall: Skydive Murder Plot.  People may remember the case of Emile Cilliers, who was accused of attempting to murder his wife by sabotaging her parachute before she undertook a skydive.  His wife, Victoria, survived the fall and the documentary told the story of the crime and it's background. 

The story itself is a remarkable one - Cilliers wanted out of his marriage and also wanted money as he was in financial straits due to his profligate spending.  He stood to make more than £100,000 on his wife's life insurance.  Cilliers is an extremely chilling character - he never displayed open violence towards any of his partners but consistently manipulated and lied to them, displaying extreme callousness and selfishness.  He was unfaithful to an almost industrial degree - he visited prostitutes, attended swingers clubs and had long term affairs behind his wife's back.  He had already abandoned two children from a previous relationship and had begun the process of abadoning his children with Victoria, denying to his lover that he was the father of his new born baby.  Just prior to the parachute incident, he sabotaged the gas pipes in their home, which if it had caused an explosion could have killed his wife and children.

One of the many fascinating aspects of the case was the fact that the victim didn't support the prosecution and only long after his conviction in a second trial came to terms with the fact that her husband tried to kill her.  The detectives investigating the case were interviewed, as was Victoria, and they spoke about the difficulties of breaking through the coercive control that Cilliers exerted on her and the hold that he had on her, mentally.  Eventually, after Cilliers was jailed for 36 years, Victoria came to accept what he'd done and move on.  But it was a good demonstration of a master manipulator and how when someone has a hold on you, you can't really see it.  For example, during the trial, Cilliers began publishing YouTube videos of him playing his guitar, singing songs like Stand By Me by BenE King.  The videos are extremely cringeworthy and bad but to the person in his grip they communicated more. 

The one issue I had with the documentary was the dramatisation part of it.  They filmed them filming the dramatic interludes, showing the actors moving around the set and receiving instructions from the director, we also watched the real life detectives watch the actors playing them act out the scenes.  It was very strange, all a bit meta.  Some dramatisation is probably needed in the story but I felt it didn't land properly.  The case is so remarkable that it doesn't need this and this documentary had extensive interviews with Victoria, the detectives, some of the skydivers who were there on the day, Cillier's former partner.  It was a strange add-on that wasn't really needed.  Also, the actor playing Cilliers was far better looking than the real life version - a minor point and all actors are usually good looking but Cilliers was a balding man in his 40s, it's more effective to see him like that to understand his manipulation.

8 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I watched the three part documentary on Channel 4 The Fall: Skydive Murder Plot.  People may remember the case of Emile Cilliers, who was accused of attempting to murder his wife by sabotaging her parachute before she undertook a skydive.  His wife, Victoria, survived the fall and the documentary told the story of the crime and it's background. 

The story itself is a remarkable one - Cilliers wanted out of his marriage and also wanted money as he was in financial straits due to his profligate spending.  He stood to make more than £100,000 on his wife's life insurance.  Cilliers is an extremely chilling character - he never displayed open violence towards any of his partners but consistently manipulated and lied to them, displaying extreme callousness and selfishness.  He was unfaithful to an almost industrial degree - he visited prostitutes, attended swingers clubs and had long term affairs behind his wife's back.  He had already abandoned two children from a previous relationship and had begun the process of abadoning his children with Victoria, denying to his lover that he was the father of his new born baby.  Just prior to the parachute incident, he sabotaged the gas pipes in their home, which if it had caused an explosion could have killed his wife and children.

One of the many fascinating aspects of the case was the fact that the victim didn't support the prosecution and only long after his conviction in a second trial came to terms with the fact that her husband tried to kill her.  The detectives investigating the case were interviewed, as was Victoria, and they spoke about the difficulties of breaking through the coercive control that Cilliers exerted on her and the hold that he had on her, mentally.  Eventually, after Cilliers was jailed for 36 years, Victoria came to accept what he'd done and move on.  But it was a good demonstration of a master manipulator and how when someone has a hold on you, you can't really see it.  For example, during the trial, Cilliers began publishing YouTube videos of him playing his guitar, singing songs like Stand By Me by BenE King.  The videos are extremely cringeworthy and bad but to the person in his grip they communicated more. 

The one issue I had with the documentary was the dramatisation part of it.  They filmed them filming the dramatic interludes, showing the actors moving around the set and receiving instructions from the director, we also watched the real life detectives watch the actors playing them act out the scenes.  It was very strange, all a bit meta.  Some dramatisation is probably needed in the story but I felt it didn't land properly.  The case is so remarkable that it doesn't need this and this documentary had extensive interviews with Victoria, the detectives, some of the skydivers who were there on the day, Cillier's former partner.  It was a strange add-on that wasn't really needed.  Also, the actor playing Cilliers was far better looking than the real life version - a minor point and all actors are usually good looking but Cilliers was a balding man in his 40s, it's more effective to see him like that to understand his manipulation.

That’s not the Welsh director is it?  He has a habit of making the actual participants act in his documentaries and I don’t understand why.