Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

21 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

That never fails to make me laugh almost to the point of tears.  Previn could have been an actor - his timing is magnificent.    But the thing that really makes it is the orchestra, who don’t know what’s coming.  You can see several of these very proper musicians wiping away tears of laughter. 😆 A beautiful piece of television.  

This.

21 hours ago, GordonD said:

Apparently they didn't have time to rehearse, so Eric was unsure how Previn would cope. His reaction when Previn says that his baton is in Chicago is absolutely genuine: he realised that the sketch was going to work.

Just watched the whole thing, hadn't seen it for years - it's every bit as good as I remembered. Eric Morecambe's applause at the end shows, I think, how good he thought Previn was.

My Dad was a big M&W fan and watching it again I could picture him laughing. A nice memory.

Shogun is very good. Two episodes in and it’s gripping. Not being a writer or director or having any creative talent I’m always amazed when things that shouldn’t be so compelling are - a translated conversation about maritime treaties between a Japanese feudal Lord and a prisoner should not be high drama, but it is.

On 19/03/2024 at 16:52, printer said:

Just watched the whole thing, hadn't seen it for years - it's every bit as good as I remembered. Eric Morecambe's applause at the end shows, I think, how good he thought Previn was.

My Dad was a big M&W fan and watching it again I could picture him laughing. A nice memory.

It's genuinely outstanding comedy. There's something fabulously proletarian and inclusive (in the truly positive sense) about it. Similar to yourself I remember sitting watching this at Chrismas (on repeat, obviously) with my Gran, Grampa and other family members. They'd all seen it multiple times before, but were in tears laughing at it again. I fucking love Morecambe and Wise. 

10 hours ago, velo army said:

It's genuinely outstanding comedy. There's something fabulously proletarian and inclusive (in the truly positive sense) about it. Similar to yourself I remember sitting watching this at Chrismas (on repeat, obviously) with my Gran, Grampa and other family members. They'd all seen it multiple times before, but were in tears laughing at it again. I fucking love Morecambe and Wise. 

My favourite part of the Christmas specials was Peter Cushing coming on trying to collect his fee!

15 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Shogun is very good. Two episodes in and it’s gripping. Not being a writer or director or having any creative talent I’m always amazed when things that shouldn’t be so compelling are - a translated conversation about maritime treaties between a Japanese feudal Lord and a prisoner should not be high drama, but it is.

I remember Richard Chamberlain's Shogun in the 80's and was a fan, so was looking forward to this series, enjoying it every bit as much. Also loved the Marco Polo series which is quite similar, a foreigner starting of being a prisoner, and making his way up from there to holding an important but precarious positions.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

22 hours ago, ICTChris said:

It is very good. Just wait until the end of episode 5 is all i'll say.

The Stable. BBC/iplayer

4 part documentary following boxing trainer Shane McGuigan’s gym. 

Brilliant.

A few subjects that could have been glossed over are tackled honestly. The talking heads are used sparingly and generally add good context.

On 31/03/2024 at 10:58, Shandon Par said:

The Stable. BBC/iplayer

4 part documentary following boxing trainer Shane McGuigan’s gym. 

Brilliant.

A few subjects that could have been glossed over are tackled honestly. The talking heads are used sparingly and generally add good context.

Sounds good. Will give it a go.

Bridge of Lies the latest for this but most quiz shows, particularly BBC ones. When given options "Well I know it's not 'A', and I know it's not 'C' so I'm going to go with 'B'" or even worse "I know it's not 'A' or 'B' but I know 'C' is correct". Just fucking step on/tell us the fucking answer then! We don't need to hear your thought process out loud. 

I assume the arsehole producers encourage this pish to draw out time. Absolutely infuriating though. 

On 01/04/2024 at 23:26, tongue_tied_danny said:

I've watched the first 4 episodes of This Town on the iplayer.

Pretty decent.

Finished it last night.  I must admit i was a wee bit disappointed.  I live in the Midlands so there's been a fair bit of hype around it down here so that's maybe not helped.  I liked some aspects of it but felt it was a bit disjointed at times.   Great soundtrack though....especially hearing the Electric Prunes and Suicide.

On 03/04/2024 at 00:24, 19QOS19 said:

Bridge of Lies the latest for this but most quiz shows, particularly BBC ones. When given options "Well I know it's not 'A', and I know it's not 'C' so I'm going to go with 'B'" or even worse "I know it's not 'A' or 'B' but I know 'C' is correct". Just fucking step on/tell us the fucking answer then! We don't need to hear your thought process out loud. 

I assume the arsehole producers encourage this pish to draw out time. Absolutely infuriating though. 

Eggheads was bad for this.