Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

The wife has been watching Good Girls on Netflix.

You can see the pitch to the network. "Imagine Breaking Bad...with moms" ...except it is utter shite.

Lots of Christina Hendricks though, which more than makes up for the fact it is awful.

8 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Lots of Christina Hendricks though, which more than makes up for the fact it is awful.

Aye,would be happy enough watching anything with her in it,if it's as bad as you say the "mute"button would suffice,she'd still be there in all her glory

On 17/02/2024 at 22:06, Savage Henry said:

The Space Shuttle that fell to Earth, on iPlayer, is one of the most compelling documentaries I’ve ever seen.  It’s morbid, nerve wracking and moving.   

Only seen the first episode.i take it,from how that ended,they knew they were fucked from just after them lifting off

2 hours ago, highlandmac said:

Only seen the first episode.i take it,from how that ended,they knew they were fucked from just after them lifting off

The astronauts didn't know a thing. Mission Control suspected there might be a problem but didn't tell them - there was nothing they could have done about it anyway.

3 hours ago, highlandmac said:

It’s a lot more complicated than that. Management knew, but didn’t believe - or refused to believe - it was fatal.   Well worth watching the whole shebang.  As I say, it’s one of the most riveting things I’ve seen in a while.  

The Space Shuttle that fell to Earth, on iPlayer, is one of the most compelling documentaries I’ve ever seen.  It’s morbid, nerve wracking and moving.   

It was a hard watch at times, seeing the astronauts and their families talking before the launch was pretty surreal stuff. The management structure at NASA seems completely crazy and they seemed to take a fingers crossed and hope for the best attitude towards safety. 

Star Trek The Motion Picture was on yesterday.

Caught 15 minutes of the crew looking awe-struck at the viewscreen as special effects fly by. 

How on earth have I ever sat through it all the way through (multiple times)?

13 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Star Trek The Motion Picture was on yesterday.

Caught 15 minutes of the crew looking awe-struck at the viewscreen as special effects fly by. 

How on earth have I ever sat through it all the way through (multiple times)?

I like TMP.  The directors cut is better tho.

58 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I like TMP.  The directors cut is better tho.

Agreed. I read about this movie and Bob Wise, the Director, was very unhappy. The studio had committed to a December release so everything was rushed at the end, including the editing. And the editor's view was "we've spent millions on these special effects, so people will see them...all of them". 

Also, only after release did the director's daughter ask "Why did you rehash an old episode of the show for the story?" Wise didn't have a clue that the whole V'ger coming home to meet the creator had been done already.  

Christ, that was difficult viewing. I've been a spaceflight nerd since the Apollo days and have watched a lot of documentaries. Usually of course things go according to plan, and even when there are problems the astronauts usually manage to come up with a solution. But when things like this happen it can be heart-breaking.

It was particularly sad seeing the crew so happy, joking around in complete ignorance of what lay ahead. Especially the part where they paid tribute to the Apollo 1 and Challenger crews.

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

Christ, that was difficult viewing. I've been a spaceflight nerd since the Apollo days and have watched a lot of documentaries. Usually of course things go according to plan, and even when there are problems the astronauts usually manage to come up with a solution. But when things like this happen it can be heart-breaking.

It was particularly sad seeing the crew so happy, joking around in complete ignorance of what lay ahead. Especially the part where they paid tribute to the Apollo 1 and Challenger crews.

One of the items found in the wreckage of the shuttle was Runrig’s “ The Stamping Ground “  CD , Laurel Clark  was a  fan of the band and chose one of them tracks as her wake up call music , she had taken the CD up with her .
The  final track the album The Story is dedicated to her 

14 hours ago, stanton said:

One of the items found in the wreckage of the shuttle was Runrig’s “ The Stamping Ground “  CD , Laurel Clark  was a  fan of the band and chose one of them tracks as her wake up call music , she had taken the CD up with her .
The  final track the album The Story is dedicated to her 

According to Wikipedia, when the CD was returned to Laurel Clark's family, they presented it to the band.

19 hours ago, GordonD said:

I wasn't planning to watch this until it was discussed on here but watched it all last night and I'm glad I did. Hadn't been aware of the full circumstances and the outcome of the enquiry and how bad Nasa come out of it.

9 hours ago, GordonD said:

According to Wikipedia, when the CD was returned to Laurel Clark's family, they presented it to the band.

That was mentioned in a documentary about Runrig I watched last year 

Murder Case - The Disappearance of Julie Reilly , on the IPlayer . A horrific case and a  really tough watch at times , watching it made me think that there are some truly evil individuals walking about amongst us . It also shows that forensic science isn’t all designer clothes or as cool as Gil Grissom and his team make it look , I honestly don’t know how they can do that sort of work , then switch off afterwards it must effect them