Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

1 hour ago, ecto said:

He was in Life on Mars, I think, turned out he was dodgy

1 hour ago, dogmc said:

Aye that seems right. One of the dodgy masonic types

It was in the second season of Ashes to Ashes he played Detective Superintendent Mackintosh and is in the same lodge as Ray

Edited by ajwffc

1 hour ago, dogmc said:

Was also superb in the thick of it. Think he was a bent copper in ashes to Ashes to. One of those actors who's pretty much superb in everything but always flies under the radar

The Thick of It was one of those programmes that passed me by almost completely. I've seen a few of the most recent episodes and quite enjoyed them. I see that the complete series is available on DVD quite cheaply but there seem to be two different versions so I'm holding off until I can find out if either or both is really complete (including the specials).

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

The Thick of It was one of those programmes that passed me by almost completely. I've seen a few of the most recent episodes and quite enjoyed them. I see that the complete series is available on DVD quite cheaply but there seem to be two different versions so I'm holding off until I can find out if either or both is really complete (including the specials).

Think this is the one you're looking for. Fifteen quid and comes in a lovely poncey box. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thick-Complete-Collection-DVD-x/dp/B008RA5QB8/

8 hours ago, MSU said:

Think this is the one you're looking for. Fifteen quid and comes in a lovely poncey box. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thick-Complete-Collection-DVD-x/dp/B008RA5QB8/

That's one of the boxes I've seen. However if you scroll down the page a bit Amazon are offering a combination of the box set, the feature film, and a disc with the specials (though there's no reduction in the price). Yet the specials are supposed to be included in the box set! (A point I raised with one of the reviewers eighteen months ago! If you check out the comments to the first review and go onto the second page, he confirms that the specials are included. Yet Amazon are still plugging this combination! No wonder I'm confused.)

The reviews are no help because Amazon tend to lump everything together so you can't be sure the review is about the actual product you're looking at.

Edited by GordonD

On 23/01/2017 at 09:39, GordonD said:

That's one of the boxes I've seen. However if you scroll down the page a bit Amazon are offering a combination of the box set, the feature film, and a disc with the specials (though there's no reduction in the price). Yet the specials are supposed to be included in the box set! (A point I raised with one of the reviewers eighteen months ago! If you check out the comments to the first review and go onto the second page, he confirms that the specials are included. Yet Amazon are still plugging this combination! No wonder I'm confused.)

The reviews are no help because Amazon tend to lump everything together so you can't be sure the review is about the actual product you're looking at.

Christ, you've been weighing this up for 18 months?? You've fair sucked the fun out of that box set before you've even bought it! :P

For anyone that has Sky Box Sets and can't think what to watch have a go at Green Wing.

It is from 2004 and a comedy set in a hospital, it's absolutely brilliant and I just watched the whole thing again with my missus, she couldn't believe that she had missed it first time round. The writing, acting and situations the characters find themselves in are out of this world. A lot of now very famous UK actors in it. And the recently deceased A.A.Gill said "...it was one of the most freshly funny and crisply innovative comedies for years. The humour was all based in the character, not the situation. The story lines were negligible; there were no catch phrases; it was surreal in a way we hadn't seen since Monty Python; and the cast were actors being funny from inside a characterisation, not stand-up comics bolting a cartoon persona onto the back of gags."

The funniest thing I have watched in years so if you have not seen it please do yourself a favour and watch it. Just noticed it is on C4 On Demand as well.

Edited by eindhovendee

10 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

For anyone that has Sky Box Sets and can't think what to watch have a go at Green Wing.

It is from 2004 and a comedy set in a hospital, it's absolutely brilliant and I just watched the whole thing again with my missus, she couldn't believe that she had missed it first time round. The writing, acting and situations the characters find themselves in are out of this world. A lot of now very famous UK actors in it. And the recently deceased A.A.Gill said "...it was one of the most freshly funny and crisply innovative comedies for years. The humour was all based in the character, not the situation. The story lines were negligible; there were no catch phrases; it was surreal in a way we hadn't seen since Monty Python; and the cast were actors being funny from inside a characterisation, not stand-up comics bolting a cartoon persona onto the back of gags."

Green Wing was fantastic and AA Gill described it perfectly.

On 1/22/2017 at 16:42, Salvo Montalbano said:

Was delighted to see the return of The Young Montalbano on BBC Four, but annoyed to see it was just repeats of series one.

Yeah...I had the same reaction.  I also preferred the Young Montalbano to the earlier Inspector series though I'd happily watch unshown (sic) episodes of the latter.

OK 3 posts on the trot...sorry.

Apple Tree Yard on BBC.  Hugely implausible and a bit "middle aged, middle class couple in a marriage crisis" trope.  However, Emily Watson (Breaking the Waves) getting pumped in a broom cupboard in the House of Commons means I'll watch the second episode.

On 22/01/2017 at 16:42, Salvo Montalbano said:

Was delighted to see the return of The Young Montalbano on BBC Four, but annoyed to see it was just repeats of series one. I've tried tweeting them to find out when the original Inspector Montalbano series is coming back (Rai has shown three more we've not seen in the UK I think, and they've been shown in the States by all accounts) but didn't get a reply. 

I've been trying to find out as well but no joy. Both the original series and the Young Montalbano series are brilliant. I am going to end up becoming a Montalbano tourist and going around the filming locations in Sicily since I love the look of the place so much!

On 23/01/2017 at 09:39, GordonD said:

I got this for twenty quid. Even at full price it is worth it https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Armando-Iannucci-Collection-DVD/dp/B003ZUXZA4

ETA no product description but it is all the thick of it Inc the specials, day today, brass eye, knowing me knowing you, I'm Alan partridge and time  trumpet

Edited by invergowrie arab