Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

18 hours ago, The Naitch said:

The Real Marigold on Tour has been superb telly.

The series in India was fantastic but these wee jollies to Florida and Japan were just brilliant.

Agreed! Haven't watched the one in Japan yet but got it recorded.

13 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Thought the Jonathan Creek was decent enough actually, certainly a hell of a lot better than the last few episodes. It doesn't really work too well without Maddy (as annoying as she was) or Adam Klaus providing the comic relief. 

I'm just catching up on Broadchurch now that Sky have given subscribers free box sets for 3 months. Can't believe I didn't watch it first time round. 

First season of Broadchurch is excellent. The 2nd is pish

The first certainly was very good. Watching the second one just now and it doesn't seem as gripping and is a bit silly. Will keep with it and hopefully the third series comes good again.

Think the problem is 1st series felt like it was conceived as a one off so the plot tied off nicely. The 2nd always felt contrived and the plot was as much about trying to make room for another series as just telling the story

Think the problem is 1st series felt like it was conceived as a one off so the plot tied off nicely. The 2nd always felt contrived and the plot was as much about trying to make room for another series as just telling the story

Seems to be a regular thing with TV Series' nowadays. I'd have 5 excellent one season Series' (say Band of Brothers) to 30 6/7 average seasons of a Series (The Walking Dead). It just feels like producers milk cash cows completely dry. Rather than splash cash on one great season they drag the arse out of it as they know folk will continue to tune in even if the quality isn't there.

On 30/12/2016 at 16:20, The_Kincardine said:

I watched about 30 minutes of the Jonathan Creek Xmas special.  Puerile, banal dross made vaguely tolerable by Sarah Alexander.  She's 45 and an absolute wid.  I should find a pic of her for the MILF thread.

Seems to be a regular thing with TV Series' nowadays. I'd have 5 excellent one season Series' (say Band of Brothers) to 30 6/7 average seasons of a Series (The Walking Dead). It just feels like producers milk cash cows completely dry. Rather than splash cash on one great season they drag the arse out of it as they know folk will continue to tune in even if the quality isn't there.

The one exception being sherlock (albeit last year one off was bit meh). Theyve been good at not caving to popular desire n kept the plots fresh n interesting. Im in complete agreement with you. If life on mars had been American or even itv it would be on 11th series of terrible disappointment. Annoying as he is even Gervais gets concept of finish it while viewers want more rather than milk it dry.

The one exception being sherlock (albeit last year one off was bit meh). Theyve been good at not caving to popular desire n kept the plots fresh n interesting. Im in complete agreement with you. If life on mars had been American or even itv it would be on 11th series of terrible disappointment. Annoying as he is even Gervais gets concept of finish it while viewers want more rather than milk it dry.

Very true. I think the Brits in general have it sussed. It's definitely predominantly an American thing. As you say, Gervais got it spot on with The Office and Extras. Derek as well IMO but I'm a complete Gervais fanboy. Fawlty Towers went for two and like Father Ted (3 seasons), it doesn't have a bad episode.

I'm not against long running shows but sometimes this results in quality being sacrificed for length (hold the jokes) which is something I am against!

Gervais should have just stopped doing anything after The Office.

Gervais should have just stopped doing anything after The Office.

Harsh tho I get why that's a popular shout I genuinely enjoyed extras n Derek. I even liked the invention of lying. Given that only an excuse is still happening Gervais is a genius compared to Watson.

Seen three episodes of Black Mirror on Netflix. Rather annoyed about wasting time on the last two after finding the first one disturbingly decent, probably because they insist on constantly highlighting the technology half an hour after it was first all pointed out. Think I'll give up on it unless someone here can say it gets better again.

Seen three episodes of Black Mirror on Netflix. Rather annoyed about wasting time on the last two after finding the first one disturbingly decent, probably because they insist on constantly highlighting the technology half an hour after it was first all pointed out. Think I'll give up on it unless someone here can say it gets better again.

I would give the episode White Bear a go since it's not too heavy on the technology, quite a creepy one as well.

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Silent Witness is back and pushing the liberal agenda again.  Really quite embarrassing stuff.  Oh and Emilia Fox has to be the worst actress ever.  Makes that lassie from Northern Ireland who used to feature seem like a bit of a talent.

I agree with the first part. However, Emilia Fox is a :wub: and therefore immune from your criticism :P

P.s. I hope you fucked Friday's quiz

5 minutes ago, alang1993 said:

I agree with the first part. However, Emilia Fox is a :wub: and therefore immune from your criticism :P

P.s. I hope you fucked Friday's quiz

Aye well clearly La Fox wasn't recruited for her acting talent....'wid' in both senses.

On the quiz...you only need a 3.5 to beat me...I shan't hold my breath.