Your Old Stadium

Here's a few different sets of highlights of Dundee at different games:

Tannadice 1964:

Muirton 1962:

There's much more on the Youtube link including our trips to Albania in black and white from 2003 and others.

Extended highlights of our game vs Perugia too. Check out their line-up, a few players who went on to become big stars!

Some crowds

Here's a few different sets of highlights of Dundee at different games:

Tannadice 1964:

Muirton 1962:

There's much more on the Youtube link including our trips to Albania in black and white from 2003 and others.

Extended highlights of our game vs Perugia too. Check out their line-up, a few players who went on to become big stars!

Your old stadium...

That Dundee v Perugia game was played exactly as the stadium is now.

Your old stadium...

That Dundee v Perugia game was played exactly as the stadium is now.

Can you read? I threw that in merely for people to check the Perugia side. It was an aside if you will. I don't think that's too particularly difficult to understand.

In those days "referees" were called umpires, taken from cricket, when so many clubs were born from cricket clubs as a way of having a winter sport to play. Also notice that the " penalty box" line runs from touchline to touchline.

There was basically a free for all in encroachment on a penalty award. You basically rugby scrum the penalty taker.

Eventually modified to what we know today, as well as a "D" on the edge of the area to ensure an appropriate distance for the kicker to remain unimpeded, as a penalty wasn't really penalising the offender.

I think I read that there were two umpires ( one for each half)and one line judge in the early days of football?

I think (not 100%) there were initially 2 umpires... 1 from each club... who had to agree on decisions. This was of course a total nightmare, so they were relegated to linesmen with 1 neutral referee added. Later the linesmen too became neutral officials, although I think (but again not 100%) this happened much later - e.g. post-WWI in SFL Division 2?

Definite push there by the guy on the left.

Not if John Beaton's great-grandfather was officiating...

Edited by HibeeJibee

Why is the box shaped like tits

Remember that at first the football field only had the 4 boundary lines, the centre-spot, and centre-circle.

Originally, the 6yd box was measured from each post. It was known as "kidney-shaped". It, corner quadrants, and the halfway line arrived in 1887. Notice however the apparent lack of any corner quadrant in that photo (infact is there a flag?).

Originally crossbars were tape, not solid, btw.

Penalties began in 1891 with a 12yd line across the whole field. You could take your penalty from anywhere on that line - other players withdrawing to a 'retreat line' at 18yd.

fac04x1.gif

Current arrangements adopted 1902 (except 'the D' = 1937).

fac05x.gif

Edited by HibeeJibee

Remember that at first the football field only had the 4 boundary lines, the centre-spot, and centre-circle.

Originally, the 6yd box was measured from each post. It was known as "kidney-shaped". It, corner quadrants, and the halfway line arrived in 1887. Notice however the apparent lack of any corner quadrant in that photo (infact is there a flag?).

Originally crossbars were tape, not solid, btw.

Penalties began in 1891 with a 12yd line across the whole field. You could take your penalty from anywhere on that line - other players withdrawing to a 'retreat line' at 18yd.

fac04x1.gif

Current arrangements adopted 1902 (except 'the D' = 1937).

fac05x.gif

rumour has it granny danger was at both games in this post :rolleyes:

Edited by forever_blue

• 2 weeks later...

post-12982-0-24185000-1395615629_thumb.j

post-12982-0-22083000-1395615655.jpg

this is Meadowbank..... before Meadowbank! In the top half is Marionville Road and the patch of ground in the foreground is where the current pitch is. In the 2nd picture the pitch you can just see in the bottom right is, I think, "New Meadowbank" which was laid out by the Edinburgh Junior FA after they moved from Bathgate Park which became the New Street Bus Garage.

Pictures taken in 1932.