Your Old Stadium

• 6 months later...

I would like to state on the record that this is a magnificent thread.

41056730745.jpg

Main Stand being enlarged after the sale of Ian St John and Pat Quinn. The framework shown is the same nowadays and the floating box at the front of the frame is where the TV cameras and commentators go.

3746991678_749142a405.jpg

The Knowetop end, that is now the Davie Cooper stand. I can just about remember being able to look over it (from the Main Stand) and see the Ravenscraig works before the new stand was built.

Fir%20Park%209.jpg

Apparently the Davie Cooper stand was a scaled down version of the away stand and the architect allegedly forgot to make the front overhang thing smaller and is the same size as the one on the away stand :lol:

2l8i4au.jpg

East stand with optional roof seating. All there to see the Pride of Lanarkshire.

Loving the fact people are watching the game on top of the stand

Brilliant thread, some amazing pictures.

Really miss Muirton Park but in all honesty it was past it's best. The only bit you'd want to keep would be the enclosure along the side opposite the main stand. Only half the wooden main stand could be used due to fire risk and the terracing was generally not steep enough to be a great view. It was still a great feeling when you went through the turnstiles at the Town End then up the steps and the whole ground opened out in front of you.

The enclosure was split down the middle with a double segregation fence.. A few years previously it had been those waist high barriers joined together that you get at music festivals etc. we drew aberdeen in the Scottish Cup third round in 87or 88 and the capacity was limited to 5000. Aberdeen offered to pay for a new fence so the capacity was lifted back upto 10000. We needed it too cos they brought a massive mob of dafties thru that day.

The dust that went up when saints fans celebrated a goal is a very vivid memory, took a few minutes after the game had restarted to settle back down.

A few pictures from last ever match v Ayr United, very poor quality sorry...

post-52884-14123720203861_thumb.jpgpost-52884-14123720609257_thumb.jpg

post-52884-14123720980857_thumb.jpgpost-52884-14123721092205_thumb.jpg

McDiarmid Park has been great for us and really was a piece of forward thinking by the club. It's just a pity that the design became a template for just about every other new stadium in the country.. I guess the 4 separate stands is the cheapest and easiest way to do it.

In our first season we averaged 6000 in the first division (second tier) and everyone was talking about how McD wasn't going to be big enough, our crowds that first premier season were huge (average 8-9000 ?) but thank god Geoff and the board knew what they were doing and it was only just over 10,000!!

The biggest mystery to me with the new stadiums is why the stands have to be so far back from the pitch.. St mirrens being a very obvious example.. Even mcDiarmid is too far back to be honest. I used to love the old match highlights on scotsport when one of the opposition was about to take a corner and some wee boy in the crowd behind him would pat him on the head!!

The other big thing is how steep the stands are.. Again st mirren is one that springs to mind, but there are others. The main stand at McDiarmid is one of the best stands for legroom and view due to how steep it is. In fairness to the st mirren board though, at least they've got the capacity bang on, and even games v the old firm they won't be outnumbered on their own patch, and the ground will never feel too empty.

Favourite grounds in the past were East End Park and Brockville, both for atmosphere. East end always was a tidy ground, perfect layout and we used to think of it as a mini-hampden. Brockville was a dump but it was a brilliant away day, really hemmed in and atmospheric. The side enclosure at Tannadice was a great view, really steep.

Never thought much of Easter road or tynecastle, not the best for atmosphere.. away ends open and far too big for our support! They're both great grounds now, still hemmed in the middle of housing schemes but great views. Easter road maybe too big but both are excellent semi final venues. Celtic park also was poor, miles away from the pitch and the cup final last year let us experience the ground with a great view. When they're averaging 35000 why do they have to stick the away support in a restricted view area?? Sometimes you wonder if clubs actually want people to come to their games!!

Pictures below of cup semi final at celtic park St Johnstone post-52884-14123736175014_thumb.jpgpost-52884-14123736480017_thumb.jpgv rangers, same day as hillsborough tragedy. 9000 saints fans squeezed into a corner of the ground, what an atmosphere that day... Again apologies for the quality:

Early 80's before they rebuilt Ibrox. The away fans stood in the enclosure left hand side(Broomloan)end.

Parkhead was also a hoot standing in the enclosure ,right hand side towards the away end. It was great turning round and watching the toothless wonders above in the main stand making the sign of the cross and pointing their pretend guns at us :lol:

Spartans played a game at Celtic park?

Can you imagine if that had happened, the ground share? What a load of absolute shite. Would have been terrible.

Part of the proposals at the time were for a 4000 seater training ground that was to be offered to Meadowbank Thistle. Just imagine, there might have been no Livingston franchise had that happened...

What did your clubs' old stadium look like? What are your abiding memories of the old place? Are you (honestly) in a better position the way things are now? Or would you prefer to go back to the good old days?

It would also be interesting to see your memories about visiting the grounds that other fans mention too.

As for Rugby Park - here's some crackin' pictures of how it used to be...

vzc9cg.jpg

0,,10284~9228817,00.jpg

1544964657_bd658f6cd0_o.jpg

90sR%20Park.jpg

I have only fleeting memories of the old place, but we are most definitely better off now. Yes, the 'new' Rugby Park is far too big for our needs, and the leg-room is ridiculous in all stands but the Frank Beattie, but it's home.

I like the look of that

This was our home for a while.

Nothing special

TGSE00321_m.jpg

The really old hampden certainly was special. Holds the european attendance record for any sporting event and the second highest football attendance of all time. The old hampden back in the day. One of the greatest stadiums of all time. 149 thousand was the unofficial record against england and most people think there were far more there than even that

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Last day at Brockville.

I couldn't get in to Cooperage Lane as it was too busy. I had to settle in the away end until racing round when the gates opened for the last 10 minutes. It was quite poignant facing the spot I'd stood in since I started going aged 9.

post-313-0-67721100-1418249821_thumb.jpg

Cooperage Lane

post-313-0-57903700-1418249842_thumb.jpg

My spot

post-313-0-73254800-1418249856_thumb.jpg