Eurovision

Sooky

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The wah ah oh vocal bit lifted straight from indie landfill is by far the worst part of this performance. Segueing into a Bond theme through the end is just weird. It's like five songs in one, and one part might actually be good. Ireland were robbed.

Ironically, I just hear the woah-oh-oh-oh part of 'Man, I feel like a woman' when he sings it.

9 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Have you forgotten Portugal and Brotherhood of Man?

No, I haven't. Both were easily better imo. 

Britain gives Israel 12 points in the public vote.

10 minutes later, lead story on the BBC news is Israel ordering thousands more to leave Rafah before they blow the shit out of it.

Well done, lads

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Public vote- fck you Russia

Also public vote- fck you poor Palestinians

Israel and Ukraine picked up 630 points combined from the public out of the 794 that were jointly available to them (nearly 80%).

I’m not privy to media reporting in other European countries, but if it’s anything like it is here in the UK then both the media and the government are overwhelmingly pro Ukraine, anti Putin and sympathetic to Israel and Netanyahu. I’m not that surprised that folk seem to have voted for both countries en masse.

It’s a real shame Austria didn’t do well IMO. I voted for them on the night as I enjoyed their song. 

Before Eurovision: 'the vote has nothing to do with politics why are people protesting Israelis participation?'

After Eurovision: 'Uk public gave 12 points to Israel so it must show that the public support the IDF levelling Gaza' 

With all the controversy and chaos this week I’m very glad Israel didn’t win their Euros playoff group in March. Means we can just enjoy the football this summer and not worry about the threat of protestors, boycotts or even violence. 

27 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Israel and Ukraine picked up 630 points combined from the public out of the 794 that were jointly available to them (nearly 80%).

I’m not privy to media reporting in other European countries, but if it’s anything like it is here in the UK then both the media and the government are overwhelmingly pro Ukraine, anti Putin and sympathetic to Israel and Netanyahu. I’m not that surprised that folk seem to have voted for both countries en masse.

It’s a real shame Austria didn’t do well IMO. I voted for them on the night as I enjoyed their song. 

I disagree that the UK media are sympathetic to what Netanyahu and the Israeli forces are doing in Gaza, anyone who watches the broadcast media especially could only think they're genocidal maniacs. Maybe not as black and white as with Russia and Ukraine, but they have to take into account that the Russian invasion was entirely unprovoked, unlike with the October 7th events.

7 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

Going to go full conspiracy theory here but wouldn't be surprised if there's been a few call centres in Tel-Aviv phoning international numbers this evening.

Don't think so. I suspect there's plenty of folk minded to vote for Israel across Europe for it to not be a conspiracy. 

Certain individuals on Twitter implying it was antisemitic to not vote for Israel. 

38 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Certain individuals on Twitter implying it was antisemitic to not vote for Israel. 

And therein lies one of the biggest problems of the whole Israel thing. One simply can't protest against their genocidal acts without being pulled up as antisemitic.  

There's very little of the whole thing in the German media, they've gone completely 180 since you-know-when to the point where they're so far up Israel's arse you could see Olaf Scholz when they sneeze.

The rest of the western world is just as bad but its no shock. They did nothing for the people of Syria when they're country was obliterated and they're just watching while Palestine gets levelled.