Eurovision

Sooky

27 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Israel and Ukraine picked up 630 points combined from the public out of the 794 that were jointly available to them (nearly 80%).

I’m not privy to media reporting in other European countries, but if it’s anything like it is here in the UK then both the media and the government are overwhelmingly pro Ukraine, anti Putin and sympathetic to Israel and Netanyahu. I’m not that surprised that folk seem to have voted for both countries en masse.

It’s a real shame Austria didn’t do well IMO. I voted for them on the night as I enjoyed their song. 

I disagree that the UK media are sympathetic to what Netanyahu and the Israeli forces are doing in Gaza, anyone who watches the broadcast media especially could only think they're genocidal maniacs. Maybe not as black and white as with Russia and Ukraine, but they have to take into account that the Russian invasion was entirely unprovoked, unlike with the October 7th events.

7 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

Going to go full conspiracy theory here but wouldn't be surprised if there's been a few call centres in Tel-Aviv phoning international numbers this evening.

Don't think so. I suspect there's plenty of folk minded to vote for Israel across Europe for it to not be a conspiracy. 

Certain individuals on Twitter implying it was antisemitic to not vote for Israel. 

38 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Certain individuals on Twitter implying it was antisemitic to not vote for Israel. 

And therein lies one of the biggest problems of the whole Israel thing. One simply can't protest against their genocidal acts without being pulled up as antisemitic.  

There's very little of the whole thing in the German media, they've gone completely 180 since you-know-when to the point where they're so far up Israel's arse you could see Olaf Scholz when they sneeze.

The rest of the western world is just as bad but its no shock. They did nothing for the people of Syria when they're country was obliterated and they're just watching while Palestine gets levelled.

@The Naitchthis is coming from a point of semi ignorance. I believe that Netanyahu & his IDF Commanders should be answering for their War Crimes in The Hague, yet Hamas & their Fundamentalist Ilk will execute you just because you are you. I am utterly conflicted by what is happening, yet my instinct is to protect the Children first. The arseholes on both sides clearly do not give a shit about that. How can anyone support either side?

Croatia were robbed. Estonia had a great song and I can’t believe they were so low down.

I think the UK had one of the worst songs of the night - how hard is it for the uk to produce a nice fun catchy song? Why have the last 2 been so shite? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cxx8z05058eo

Is it the song, is it the staging, is it the lack of emotional connection, is it just bad luck… or is it that every kunt thinks we’re Brexit voting cuntos and says ‘fcuk that rabble’ when pondering where to give points?

Sam Ryder aside, who stands out amongst the nil points and Livingston FC style Eurovision seasons. Europe started to shun us, IMHO, firstly when English football hooligans were rampant and English teams got banned. Before that, we were full boohna contenters, boom-bang-a-banging our way to the top with the best of them.

Pah. 😜

13 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Britain gives Israel 12 points in the public vote.

10 minutes later, lead story on the BBC news is Israel ordering thousands more to leave Rafah before they blow the shit out of it.

Well done, lads

Flaw in the voting rules, you should be able to vote against a song too.

14 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Britain gives Israel 12 points in the public vote.

10 minutes later, lead story on the BBC news is Israel ordering thousands more to leave Rafah before they blow the shit out of it.

Well done, lads

Cause and effect?  

14 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Israel and Ukraine picked up 630 points combined from the public out of the 794 that were jointly available to them (nearly 80%).

So out of 2146 points available from the public votes the UK received 0 😮

21 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Is it that hard to believe?

Where would you have ranked our song out of the 25?

On 12/05/2024 at 09:42, pozbaird said:

Sam Ryder aside

We send an actual vocalist with a song to showcase said powerful vocal and nearly win it.

Them revert back to middle of the road pop songs with weak vocals.

23 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Presumably you have to come in the top 10 from any country's public vote to get any votes at all. Not sure how they do it though.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Presumably you have to come in the top 10 from any country's public vote to get any votes at all. Not sure how they do it though.

Yes, you do, only each country's top 10 gets points.

Being middle of the road can actually be a bigger Eurovision death knell than being bad (as sometimes being so bad it's good can be a thing that picks up a few points).

Every country could think you are the 11th best and you end up on zero points as a result.

Yet the UK continue to favour middle of the road pop...