The Alloa Athletic Thread

1 hour ago, thestorytobetold said:

If the result had been the other way round I'd stick to my teams page to celebrate rather than risk the temptation to even appear as gloating on the opposing fans page.  There is such a thing as grace in victory. Something I displayed to a  falkirk fan at the depths of their troubles in 21/22. Instead I chose to encourage and rother than stick salt in the wound. So it's not about inaccuracy.

Alloa fans are well aware of the teams challenges this season and our manager has said in at least one interview that falkirk are his team that and the fact he possesses a distinct ability not to motivate his players for the game. Until he can prove otherwise it's not based on sour grapes when I quote him directly. 

For the sake of clarity, are you suggesting the Alloa players were not, or may not have been, motivated for Saturday's game because of Brian Rice's time at Falkirk?

On 30/10/2023 at 08:36, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Dunbar in November will no doubt be a bit chilly, but nice to get something different with the draw. Will be a ground very few have been to in the past so another to tick off the list. Despite our bad run of form we *should* really have more than enough to get through.

Which is always an attraction, especially as it's a small ground likely to have a fair bit of character. 

I always drive to away games and, almost never, drink, but I might make an exception here and train it.

8 minutes ago, printer said:

Which is always an attraction, especially as it's a small ground likely to have a fair bit of character. 

I always drive to away games and, almost never, drink, but I might make an exception here and train it.

By looks of things you could get a cracking view of the game by going back and forth on the train all afternoon!

6 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

I thought Alloa were dreadful on Saturday, probably the worst I've seen this season? If MacIver and Miller had had their shooting boots on we would have had at least 6 and, in the words of our erstwhile commentator wee Lewis, we could and should have had so much more. 

Fair comment I'd say, we were dreadful. There have been a few grim performances this season but we were particularly poor on Saturday and Falkirk should certainly have scored more than 3. In truth Falkirk didn't have to do much to win that match, the first 2 goals were absolute gifts. 

4 hours ago, thestorytobetold said:

Alloa fans are well aware of the teams challenges this season and our manager has said in at least one interview that falkirk are his team that and the fact he possesses a distinct ability not to motivate his players for the game. Until he can prove otherwise it's not based on sour grapes when I quote him directly. 

If this is indeed the case then Rice must support most of the teams we've played this season. 

2 hours ago, printer said:

It's quite a new ground but looks nice from the train! Good pubs in Dunbar too, well worth leaving the car on this occasion. And if turns out that Brian Rice is a Dunbar fan as well you can drown your sorrows afterwards before getting the train home. 

5 hours ago, thestorytobetold said:

If I recall correctly, when Rice said Falkirk were "his team" it was in a fairly emotional response expressing his disappointment at being abused by a Falkirk fan over his troubles with addiction. Pretty shitty then, to see an Alloa fan dig that out as some sort of ammo against him for me.

20 hours ago, printer said:

For the sake of clarity, are you suggesting the Alloa players were not, or may not have been, motivated for Saturday's game because of Brian Rice's time at Falkirk?

No but his comments and demeanour aren't convincing. Of course they should have their individual motivation with the greatest of respect the evidence was thin on the ground, Happy for them to prove me wrong in future.  

17 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

If I recall correctly, when Rice said Falkirk were "his team" it was in a fairly emotional response expressing his disappointment at being abused by a Falkirk fan over his troubles with addiction. Pretty shitty then, to see an Alloa fan dig that out as some sort of ammo against him for me.

And I'm supposed to care about your misguided interpretation and accusations  dresed up just to have a dig? Jog on.

Rice's past personal problems aside which I'm glad to see he is over and are in the past but for the time a Falkirk fan decided to bring it up in an abusive fashion. Does not take away from poor preparation and evidential lack of fight and dig in games this season. 

1 minute ago, thestorytobetold said:

And I'm supposed to care about your misguided interpretation and accusations  dresed up just to have a dig? Jog on.

Rice's past personal problems aside which I'm glad to see he is over and are in the past but for the time a Falkirk fan decided to bring it up in an abusive fashion. Does not take away from poor preparation and evidential lack of fight and dig in games this season. 

It doesn't relate to them either, in any way, seemingly to anyone including Alloa fans.

I'm not the one dressing anything up to have a dig mate. That's squarely on you. Nice attempt to come out swinging tho 👍

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It doesn't relate to them either, in any way, seemingly to anyone including Alloa fans.

I'm not the one dressing anything up to have a dig mate. That's squarely on you. Nice attempt to come out swinging tho 👍

I never said it did, you're the one who made a misfiring attempt to bring them into it. 

If you're down to accessing patter at this point so I'd leave it there. You have nothing of substance to offer. 

18 hours ago, Waspie said:

Fair comment I'd say, we were dreadful. There have been a few grim performances this season but we were particularly poor on Saturday and Falkirk should certainly have scored more than 3. In truth Falkirk didn't have to do much to win that match, the first 2 goals were absolute gifts. 

If this is indeed the case then Rice must support most of the teams we've played this season. 

It's quite a new ground but looks nice from the train! Good pubs in Dunbar too, well worth leaving the car on this occasion. And if turns out that Brian Rice is a Dunbar fan as well you can drown your sorrows afterwards before getting the train home. 

Fair point, but no loyalty to any other club has been expressed. 

As much as the performances have merited such a reaction drink isn't the answer. A coach solely focussed on the club, adapting tactics each week to give his team the best chance of winning would be a start persisting with the same one size fits all tactics and approach hasn't done us much good at all for the past several weeks. The new additions up front seem OK but the defence needs major surgery.

Would like to hear more from the players as well. 

If Rice turns it around and  we start stringing the performances and results together then I'm happy to change my tune.  

19 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

Next episode of the podcast is up - a brutal breakdown of last Saturday, a season defining run of games and the possibility of some fireworks at Forthbank.

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Listened to the podcast last night. Always honest and insightful. Since joining the SPFL I've always felt we should have one too.

Last Saturday was obviously tough but Falkirk are riding the crest of a wave and look imperious. As was mentioned they have got their act together and for me as well the best side in the division. Their squad, as is, would be middle of the Championship in my opinion.

The next 5 games could well be season defining for the Wasps, certainly you feel for Rice. Chance to get points and start looking up. Tasty cup tie to boot. Doesn't look like 3rd or 4th this season will stretch away from the pack so there's some hope for us all.

Roy and Wales must be viewed as capable additions. With Rodden, Sammon (granted he's lacking this season compared to last) and Steven you have attacking options but like us the wins are only going to start coming with any regularity when it's kept tighter at the back 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Great listen as ever. I'd challenge the narrative that everything was going well before Falkirk though as the midfield and attack were similary disjointed against Kelty. Roy clearly made a big difference in linking things up against Edinburgh City and Montrose and with Rodden coming in for him against Kelty we just didn't have that. Steven was the most effective of the three against Kelty - a three that didn't really work as a combination - and for me one of Rodden or Wales had to drop out against Falkirk. That was the right call. Should Virtanen have come in obviously a different question. Felt a bit sorry for him though after not playing much, being handed a tough assignment then hooked early. 

Ogayi also missed two corners early against Kelty. They didn't take advantage but Falkirk did. So tempting as it might be to say that all was looking up before Falkirk, don't think it's quite accurate. What is very clear again from recent weeks is the importance of a creative influence to link midfield and attack. Donnelly or Roy (Scougall could do it too if we used him in a bit more of an advanced role) obvious options but we have Kev sat on the bench there, he would have been a really good alternative when the three we had against Kelty were struggling a bit. And of course all of that doesn't really matter if we're handing out gifts at the other end, absolutely crucial we tighten up. Agree that a back four would help, however unlikely, and we need PJ back. 

One other thing, can't just excuse last week by saying Falkirk are a good team and we were always likely to get nothing. Losing there is one thing but the manner of the defeat is another. 

Edited by Waspie

As pointed out in the excellent podcast, the next 5 games are paramount to really set the season on the right path. 9/10 points and the 4th round would be a massive boost and might just mean we take confidence into the games against the "big two" at the top, although we did turn up for the Hamilton game. 

There are issues all over the pitch but the defence have been caught for everything so far, Rice's philosophy is fairly sound in theory "match or better your opponent" but in practice our 3 tall, imposing centre backs have not been the formidable prospect they seemed on paper. We need to keep it simple and clear our lines then we can look at playing out from the back.

Looking forward to see what line up the gaffer goes with tomorrow and what kind of reaction we get from the players. 

Good pod as usual!

Feel we should go to a back four. With 5 at the back there's more confusion about who is picking up who and easier to leave a man assuming someone else will get them. 

Taggs isn't the loudest at the back but we need someone to take control of it and keep others in line. When Andy is playing, you hear him keeping everyone right, Durnan done it too when he was fit. 

9 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

How's Euan Deveney performed this season? I see you seem to be getting a tune out of Ally Roy which must be a pleasant surprise. 

Been a bit hit or miss. You see flashes and can tell there's a good player in there somewhere. Like Church last year, he's better going forward than he is defending. Although he probably had his best game defensively against Stirling on Saturday, put a couple of decent tackles in.

Looks like he overthinks it at times and ends up taking a few too many touches. 

This week's episode of the podcast is up and its a very different atmosphere from last week!

We discuss an organised defence, the impact of Steven Buchanan and the return of Quinn Coulson and Ally Roy before looking ahead to the Queen of the South game.

Thanks as always to @19QOS19 for joining us in the second half.

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com