The Alloa Athletic Thread

9 hours ago, Sam McCallum said:

Hi all, long shot. My dad was an Alloa player Mungo McCallum and passed away when I was young I found this thread through google search and noticed people mentioning him on this thread. I know this is an ask but looking to purchase a shirt (L/XL) or something with his name on it if anyone has one. I do have a few things from these times but a shirt in my size is sadly not one. Anyone with any info about this please DM me I happy to pay and stories are always welcome. Long live the wasps!

Don't have a shirt for you, Sam, but Mungo was a tremendous player.

18 hours ago, Sam McCallum said:

Hi all, long shot. My dad was an Alloa player Mungo McCallum and passed away when I was young I found this thread through google search and noticed people mentioning him on this thread. I know this is an ask but looking to purchase a shirt (L/XL) or something with his name on it if anyone has one. I do have a few things from these times but a shirt in my size is sadly not one. Anyone with any info about this please DM me I happy to pay and stories are always welcome. Long live the wasps!

Fond memories of watching your Dad play back when I first started watching Alloa, Sam. Remember in particular a hat-trick at Meadowbank just after we went up to the First Division. 

Shirts from that era aren't too easy to find and quite expensive. There is site that does replicas. They aren't 100% accurate and I think some of the reviews are a bit mixed, but I got a couple of tops from them and they are decent enough (although they took a while to arrive). You could maybe do that and get the name on the back yourself. I'll DM you the site. 

As it happens, the company Matchwinner has been revived in recent times and they're working with a number of clubs to do proper remakes of shirts, jackets etc from that era. Stuff looks really nice. Perhaps if enough Alloa fans asked the club they might look into it. I remember MM saying before they'd be happy to look at ways of doing stuff with the old badge if it was feasible, this might be a way to do it. 

Edited by Waspie

Hi all, long shot. My dad was an Alloa player Mungo McCallum and passed away when I was young. I found this thread through google search and noticed people mentioning him on this thread. I know this is an ask but looking to purchase a shirt (L/XL) or something with his name on it if anyone has one. I do have a few things from these times but a shirt in my size is sadly not one. Anyone with any info about this please DM me, I am happy to pay a good amount for this and stories are always welcome. Long live the wasps!

2 hours ago, the philosopher said:

What's the chance Annan game will be on ,on Saturday ? -5 here just now ( 2am Friday).

Rosenberg - Leverkusen played at -15°C. Last night Helsinki Aberdeen at -5°C.

Temperature is not as big a deal as precipitation and we often dodge snow.

13 hours ago, Sam McCallum said:

Hi all, long shot. My dad was an Alloa player Mungo McCallum and passed away when I was young. I found this thread through google search and noticed people mentioning him on this thread. I know this is an ask but looking to purchase a shirt (L/XL) or something with his name on it if anyone has one. I do have a few things from these times but a shirt in my size is sadly not one. Anyone with any info about this please DM me, I am happy to pay a good amount for this and stories are always welcome. Long live the wasps!

I may have some programmes with your dad in it if its any use to you ? ,I will have a search and see .

I can only echo the previous comments on Mungo McCallum, he signed in my first season following Alloa and he was excellent. Gregor Abel made some incredible signings that season and Mungo was among the best of them. If not for a bad injury the following season, he would surely have ended up playing at a higher level.

I suspect it won’t be the last time a game is called off this season on our all weather pitch. A sign of where the club is heading under the new chairman after Mike losing interest in Alloa to focus on his role at the SFA. No more publicity stunts or back breaking effort from the ground staff is required now at Alloa since Mike is at the top table of Scottish football. 

It was fun whilst it lasted I guess.

13 minutes ago, BigMartyn86 said:

I suspect it won’t be the last time a game is called off this season on our all weather pitch. A sign of where the club is heading under the new chairman after Mike losing interest in Alloa to focus on his role at the SFA. No more publicity stunts or back breaking effort from the ground staff is required now at Alloa since Mike is at the top table of Scottish football. 

You old cynic you. 🙂

On 28/11/2023 at 23:09, LeodhasXD said:

Just going into the rabbit-hole looking as I'm reorganising my streaming stuff. Looking at the OBS settings and there's a setting for a meridix sports. First event I look at...

image.thumb.png.71da4443f3ea81088fbe6c122f082e0c.png

What was the story behind that, by the way? Did we just nick their mascot, or did the club somehow end up getting the same guy to produce a logo?

I've never seen an explanation and it's really odd that we ended up with a minor American university's hornet.

18 minutes ago, BFTD said:

What was the story behind that, by the way? Did we just nick their mascot, or did the club somehow end up getting the same guy to produce a logo?

I've never seen an explanation and it's really odd that we ended up with a minor American university's hornet.

Not a clue tbh. Wayback machine shows a wasp badge for UWS in at least 2005 although the design is slightly different. Probably whoever designed ours just copied the design and cleaned up the lines.

image.png.406f09529698f8b41cfa2fc610c0d074.png

It does annoy me slightly about our colours. The one that is trademarked is this:

image.png.7ac93f7ad3bfb70feea990215e44e701.png

But the SPFL and SFA have a washed out blurry yellow

image.png.24e4ba83edb6de8d09da27f0bc6648c3.png

5 hours ago, BigMartyn86 said:

It actually needs people to be arsed turning up to pitch in to get games on