The Alloa Athletic Thread

Renton was absolutely rotten at Brechin although to be fair he was just a youngster at the time.

He returned to the Glebe playing for Bonnyrigg in the cup, scored a tap in and proceeded to claim there wasn't much of a gap between juniors and league 1 after they drew 2-2 with us. The following week we horsed them 6-0 down there.

I don't agree that we overplay. A presence off the last man and linking up on the edge of the box is a step in the right direction. Big long bombs from our centre half's aiming for a big guys head and midfielders charging forward doesn't fill me with too much anticipation. That's just me though. 

2 hours ago, holsten said:

Hogie .....not good enough

Goodwin looks like he does not care for young boys who have came through the ranks as he binned Scott Hynd and Lewis Wilson

Hoggan was excellent in the cup up at Peterhead, absolutely strolled through that game. Seems also that bigger clubs have been following him. I would hope he stays on and that he gets more games. The manager likes McKeown/Graham and we now have the option of Meggatt going in there too. I'd be happy as such if we didn't add another CB and have Hoggan ready to come in when required.

Hynd and Wilson - think I might actually defend Goodwin on that one as those boys didn't seem to kick on. They didn't get a fair shot either (from a number of Alloa managers), but not convinced they were going to make a big impact for Alloa next season. They could both probably do with dropping down a level or two and getting lots of games and attempt to work their way back up from there.

Renton might well be an upgrade on Mackin, maybe a bit more mobile. Has just had a pretty good season personally in a grim Cowden side so worth a shot. Pull Flanny back into a quarter back role and let him ping beautifully placed long balls onto Renton's head. Malcolm and Kev can run about  a lot and pick up any scraps. 

Edited by Waspie

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

Hoggan was excellent in the cup up at Peterhead, absolutely strolled through that game. Seems also that bigger clubs have been following him. I would hope he stays on and that he gets more games. The manager likes McKeown/Graham and we now have the option of Meggatt going in there too. I'd be happy as such if we didn't add another CB and have Hoggan ready to come in when required.

Hynd and Wilson - think I might actually defend Goodwin on that one as those boys didn't seem to kick on. They didn't get a fair shot either (from a number of Alloa managers), but not convinced they were going to make a big impact for Alloa next season. They could both probably do with dropping down a level or two and getting lots of games and attempt to work their way back up from there.

Renton might well be an upgrade on Mackin, maybe a bit more mobile. Has just had a pretty good season personally in a grim Cowden side so worth a shot. Pull Flanny back into a quarter back role and let him ping beautifully placed long balls onto Renton's head. Malcolm and Kev can run about  a lot and pick up any scraps. 

If Renton really is better than Mackin, this is a huge signing. I still hope that Spence will decide to stay with us, as the two have the potential to have a great partnership up front, but if not we have two good strikers in Malcolm and Renton. 

6 hours ago, Waspie said:

Yep agree with this. Hoggan always looks really good and probably the player most likely to step up into first team from development. Strong, technically good and can play a number of positions which always helps. It's hard for these guys to establish themselves, really have to go in there and not only hit the ground quick, but really out perform the regular. A lot of it can be down to good fortune. 

Wilson always looked cool and composed but looked to have lost consistency after his injury when I saw him play in development games. Hynd tries his heart out but as stated should have probably made more first team appearances by now.

5 hours ago, English Wasp said:

If Renton really is better than Mackin, this is a huge signing. I still hope that Spence will decide to stay with us, as the two have the potential to have a great partnership up front, but if not we have two good strikers in Malcolm and Renton. 

I'm the opposite really. Far too early to be making snap judgments, but if we're not replacing Holmer like for like, and Spence is being replaced by these 2 I'm going to seriously consider whether to renew my season ticket or not. On the surface this looks absolutely backwards in terms of style and quality.

Renton to me is a top end League 1 striker.  If you keep Spence then the two of them up front together will be fantastic. Renton works his arse off and was deservedly our player of the year last season.  I'd say his biggest flaw is finishing but he's fantastic at linking play up, holding the ball up and creating chances.  Great in the air and good with his feet.

Go and stop signing our best strikers every season? :lol:

Martin yes I would like at least another season and more game time .....i will be honest and yes he is a tricky wee player/winger but a half decent defender will suss him out as he always cuts inside ....hopefully more game time against better players will improve his game
Hogie .....not good enough
Goodwin looks like he does not care for young boys who have came through the ranks as he binned Scott Hynd and Lewis Wilson
I have said before i think Wilson was the best out the 4 of them and for the record I have no connection with him just watched a lot of development games
The best prospect is Declan Mcdonald and also the young centre mid Dylan Monaghan  

I would say Goodwin has given more gametime to the young players since he took charge than previous managers combined. Adam Martin took his chance and looks like a good prospect. I don't get where this love in for Hynd comes from as certain members of our support think he is the blue eyed boy but any time I've seen him I've been unimpressed. When he went out on loan to a crap Montrose team and couldn't get a look in then that doesn't do him any favours either. I felt sorry for Lewis Wilson. It was as if the club seen him as more of a youth coach than a youth player with all the coaching responsibilities dumped on him at a young age.

Goodwin seems to be getting a bit of a rough ride from some of our support. Is it because he doesn't dress and act like Jack Ross?

I'm the opposite really. Far too early to be making snap judgments, but if we're not replacing Holmer like for like, and Spence is being replaced by these 2 I'm going to seriously consider whether to renew my season ticket or not. On the surface this looks absolutely backwards in terms of style and quality.

A bit of an overreaction sounds to me very much a toys out of the pram statement or maybe you've landed a season ticket back at Park head again. We have not completed building a squad or kicked a ball in anger and we're doomed.

11 minutes ago, Redwedge77 said:

A bit of an overreaction sounds to me very much a toys out of the pram statement or maybe you've landed a season ticket back at Park head again. We have not completed building a squad or kicked a ball in anger and we're doomed.

Show me where I said we were doomed. You must have missed the "far too early to be making snap judgments" part.

As for the rest- grow up eh FFS.

He certainly doesnt appear to manage a football team like him.

Or be friends with everyone like Jack Ross was.

Goodwin has got this summer what Jack Ross couldn't get last summer. A target man. Jack was on record at the supporters q & a saying that he would've liked one but couldn't get one. Jim signs one early doors and is slated for it.

Just now, BigMartyn86 said:

Goodwin has got this summer what Jack Ross couldn't get last summer. A target man. Jack was on record at the supporters q & a saying that he would've liked one but couldn't get one. Jim signs one early doors and is slated for it.

As previously stated I actually like Goodwin- spoke to him a few times and is a really good guy who knows his game. I certainly hope he is a success and it's absolutely nothing personal about him.

You're trying to make it black and white, but there's more to it as you are well aware. I thought our style of play veered towards long ball as the season progressed. I'd rather we didn't continue to go down that route.

It may work out great- I hope it does.

As previously stated I actually like Goodwin- spoke to him a few times and is a really good guy who knows his game. I certainly hope he is a success and it's absolutely nothing personal about him.
You're trying to make it black and white, but there's more to it as you are well aware. I thought our style of play veered towards long ball as the season progressed. I'd rather we didn't continue to go down that route.

As the season wore on more and more teams had started pressing us higher to try and take our creative players out of the game. Something had to change and going route one at times still got us success but on a slightly different note look at how Taggart played in the second half of the season under Goodwin as he was like a different player. Always looking to bomb forward and create a chance. We resigned Cawley, Taggs and Flanny. Add in Cook and I would say that is a good sign that we are aiming to be creative. Only time will tell though.

Father Barry coming across as a clown here in all honesty. The old season finished two weeks ago and the current transfer dealings (which seen more than acceptable) aren't up to scratch and threatens he won't be renewing his season ticket.

That really is embarrassing.

11 minutes ago, BigMartyn86 said:

Remember a few years ago. Some people would not say a bad word against Maitland despite him being utterly useless because he was best pals with them.

Also some need to remember that Jack Ross left us of his own accord. We didnt sack him. What were some supporters expecting when a brand new manager comes in. We were never going to win the league even if JR had stayed the whole season. My only criticism of Goodwin was that he tried to play and manage. Very rarely works. He saw this and rectified it. If we dont make the playoffs next season, in what will be a more difficult league, then fair enough have a go at Goodwin but for now give him a chance.

35 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

There wasn't a more direct team than Livingston last season and they were champions.

I think there is still a bit of frustration and anger kicking about on how the season ended, after putting out Airdrie and Brechin beating Raith, lets be honest we were all preparing for another crack at the Championship and when it didn't happen i think some are now looking for something or someone to blame which is only natural. 

I think we do need to move on from Jack Ross and "his team", he is no longer our manager and need to accept that Goodwin's philosophy, despite retaining a fair core of JR players is slightly different and as others have quoted more direct, and he will be judged on how that pans out. 

Renton and Malcolm are meh signings for me, and if we had went up probably wouldn't have been considered, but this is our second consecutive season in the third tier and this is the market we are now in but we have kept the likes of Parry, Taggs, Graham, Flanny, Robertson,Cawley, along with Meggart and Cook who all players who have shown they are more than capable of holding their own in this league. 

I get how FB is feeling at the moment, i suspect that without admitting it he is more than pissed aff with Goodwin for releasing Marr and Holmes but we must all move on and i don't believe for a minute that he wont be back at the Inodrill next season, once a wasp always a wasp!!    

1 hour ago, bsd said:

Also some need to remember that Jack Ross left us of his own accord. We didnt sack him. What were some supporters expecting when a brand new manager comes in. We were never going to win the league even if JR had stayed the whole season. My only criticism of Goodwin was that he tried to play and manage. Very rarely works. He saw this and rectified it. If we dont make the playoffs next season, in what will be a more difficult league, then fair enough have a go at Goodwin but for now give him a chance.

I agree with this. There was always going to be a period of transition. I've said it all last season when others were giving him stick.

There have been times I've been really impressed with him. But also areas where I haven't.

Christ if you think I'm anti Goodwin you should hear some of the guys around me at The Recs.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)