The Alloa Athletic Thread

Jim saying he wants to retain the core of the players next season ,We need a bigger squad that,s for sure .

still trying to let this sink in , what a day yesterday was .. one of a few memorable wasps days.

On another note there have been a few lesser known faces at the playoffs , i realise work can get in the way ect  but i hope they come back next season to add to the hardcore 

and stick with s in which will be a tough season no doubt ..

10 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Well there would’ve been other clubs in for him

you are saying basically that if we had remained in the 1st div trouten would have certainly been a success, where as in the championship it would be more difficult for him to be as prolific,

i get where you are coming from but he will get his chance .. jim goodwin knew the permutations we faced .

Jim saying he wants to retain the core of the players next season ,We need a bigger squad that,s for sure .
still trying to let this sink in , what a day yesterday was .. one of a few memorable wasps days.
On another note there have been a few lesser known faces at the playoffs , i realise work can get in the way ect  but i hope they come back next season to add to the hardcore 
and stick with s in which will be a tough season no doubt ..

Yesterdays support was fantastic, all are vital for the continued growth of the club

On 5/14/2018 at 07:49, printer said:

Huge congratulations to Jim, his staff and the players. We were far from brilliant over the course of the season, but got the job done to make the play offs and peaked at exactly the right time.

The January loan signings were key, especially Stewart and Kirky, who transformed our attacking threat. Smith and McCart also did well.

Other players also seemed to up their form at the business end - Flanny, wee Kev, Crane. While Taggs, big Neil, Andy Graham, Stevie H and Robbo were consistent throught the year. As was Fleming when moved back.

From the non loan players I'd keep Parry (if he's not away), Taggs, Andy, Robbo, Stevie H, Garry, Cawley and Flanny. Possibly Meggat too. If we can persuade Crane to throw in his lot with us and get Stewart back for another year I'd be happy with that as a nucleus. But we'd need to add several players of better quality. Trouten's a start but we'll need better than him.

It might be that Jim thinks Fleming and Graham don't have the pace to play at the higher level. Or he might decide he needs their leadership and attitude. We'll see.

Recall Terry Christie back in 2000 gutting the squad after promotion and attempting a big rebuild to try and consolidate higher up. It was a gutsy move but we probably lost a bit of the spirit that had helped take us up  (and all the cup heroics that season).  As such,  I'd very much agree with your list and I'd be very hopeful that with a good pre-season that Darryl can be an important player for us again next season too. Think big Andy will cope with it and as you say, he brings a lot of leadership too. Fleming in DM is a bit different and that's a big call. He has been great but that role is different against 9 full-time teams. Although he wasn't overrun against Dundee United, as Scott Mcdonald can testify. Deserves the benefit of the doubt. 

Parry, Taggart, Graham, Meggatt, Fleming, Hetherington, Robertson, Cawley and Flannigan would be my nucleus. There is an argument for big Renton in that he provides a good option when you need to stick high balls into the box, but he wouldn't be a regular starter and might prefer to be playing elsewhere. However, we'd have a good basis to build on if we got most of that list signed. Would be fantastic if there was a way to get Stewart and Kirkpatrick back, two boys who transformed our season. Been a pleasure watching Kirky over the past two years, a superb footballer. Recruitment clearly crucial, we'll need a few really strong signings to be competitive. We are better than the Brechin of last year but they didn't strengthen and were humiliated. 

Enjoying watching things from Sunday over again and seeing stuff I missed at the time. Renton after the first goal running to the fans who had been giving him stick was reminiscent of Forfar a few months back, but thankfully it was the opposition support this time:thumsup2. And Neil Parry singing along to his song as he drinks champagne from the bottle. Great stuff. Please stay Neilly:wub:.

Edited by Waspie

their was talk of Parry going back to airdrie but can they pay more ? also would as of yesterday be a backward step, so wouldn't make sense to me 

I am assuming that we will never see Malcolm or Cook back here , certainly not now . and what of the forgotten man Frank Mckeown he  has not even been used as a sub for how long  ?

surely will be freed ?

i like big kris, not as mobile as i would like but their is a player in there and a handy sub..

exciting times ahead with a hint of trepidation , and suspense at who stays /goes/ and new signings.

10 hours ago, whereismillar said:

their was talk of Parry going back to airdrie but can they pay more ? also would as of yesterday be a backward step, so wouldn't make sense to me 

I am assuming that we will never see Malcolm or Cook back here , certainly not now . and what of the forgotten man Frank Mckeown he  has not even been used as a sub for how long  ?

surely will be freed ?

i like big kris, not as mobile as i would like but their is a player in there and a handy sub..

exciting times ahead with a hint of trepidation , and suspense at who stays /goes/ and new signings.

You'll find out who goes today or tomorrow.

Likely later than normal since Jamie Hall has left the advertiser.

The gossip is franko to EK. Cook won't be back and I have my doubts about Malcolm although he seemed interested in staying at Alloa having read his last interview.

Edited by LeodhasXD

Frank Mck, Craig Malcolm & Alan Cook are pretty much certs to be punted. Malky may want to stay but not good enough. The likes of Renton & Martin could be on a shoogly peg tonight, be interesting to see how that pans out. Obviously people saying potentially Andy & Gaz, too. I really, really hope we keep them both. I love Andy & he deserves a crack at it. Gaz has strolled most games this season, including Dundee United. Dumbarton missed lots of things but one of the main things I thought they missed was a Gaz Fleming type of player. I’m quietly confident majority offered terms will stay. Surely the likes of Neilly would want a crack at the Championship. Just also hoping for maybe a potential return for the likes of Ross Stewart.

Exciting times!

Maybe  "he" really wanted to go to Alloa ?

Haha maybe he did. I thought you understood what I was saying but it appears not.

Think you had to take a gamble and sign Trouten because there were other clubs in for him even if you didn’t know what league you would be in, think he would’ve been great in this league but in the league above money could’ve surely been better spent.

17 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Haha maybe he did. I thought you understood what I was saying but it appears not.

Think you had to take a gamble and sign Trouten because there were other clubs in for him even if you didn’t know what league you would be in, think he would’ve been great in this league but in the league above money could’ve surely been better spent.

money better spent ? what money  ? I know what you are saying but he is worth a punt. 

what other clubs were in for him out of interest ?

I think we all understand what you are saying. It that's we don't actually agree with it. Certainly I don't.

There's no gamble involved except in your opinion. There's nothing to suggest Goodwin only thinks Trouten will only cut it in league 1.

28 goals in 39 games for the worst team in League One probably qualifies Trouten for a crack at the Championship, I'd have thought.

Wouldn't go betting the farm on him running the show for us, but that goes for anyone in the squad. Still pleased that we picked him up.