The Alloa Athletic Thread

https://www.alloaadvertiser.com/sport/24350963.morgyn-neill-aims-put-things-right-playoff-sending-off/?ref=socialflow&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0P6Tynf44Pj0EPYpC1Qd4VSTUZt8gvEO3drpnbg3QcnM27cJuiif0wvsg_aem_AcikQzMnrgVSQapkmxJKLEY2pUJ4Aa3iFXzYCa0R1NV4c7g9wFYItPA6rW6l31eBPhAtWvWptWL44WikFuLU-ZYZ

Decent to hear his point of view. He'd been lucky up till then to avoid bookings for shouting at officials, hopefully the sending off will make him stop it.

Will he be banned for the Premier Cup game or will it be the first league game?

1 hour ago, Rory said:

Will he be banned for the Premier Cup game or will it be the first league game?

Not sure if bookings / offs carry over from last season ?

Posted (edited)

They definitely carry over but I think league and league cup are in the same group of competitions so should hopefully mean it’s cup games he misses (in same way Stevie’s red at Ayr caused him to miss QoS on opening day last season(well, same but opposite if you get what I mean?!)). 

ETA - although a Quick Look online suggests it might actually apply to the start of the league campaign. Also, Stevie H might be suspended for the first league cup game as part of last season’s red

Edited by Kevchenko

Posted (edited)

Disappointed to hear that he received abusive messages after the play off game. Not his biggest fan and think he is a bomb scare at times but doesn't deserve that. People say things in the heat of the moment at games, but to actually send derogatory messages after the match is really poor.

Edited by Magic Hat

16 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

Not sure if bookings / offs carry over from last season ?

Normally do. Remember when Andy Graham got sent off against Montrose last game of the 21-22 season he missed the first league game of the 22-23 season at Dunfermline

1 hour ago, LoganAAFC said:

Not sure if this is true but apparently the Stirlingshire Cup is back with Ourselves, Stirling, Falkirk, Dumbarton, East Stirling and Stenhousemuir in it

Pretty amazed by that TBH. It's been ten years, so I wonder what's prompted this.

Did the last edition ever get finished?

1 hour ago, LoganAAFC said:

Not sure if this is true but apparently the Stirlingshire Cup is back with Ourselves, Stirling, Falkirk, Dumbarton, East Stirling and Stenhousemuir in it

Question I'd ask is "Do we really need more games?"

36 League games plus potentially 4 play off games, plus 4 (minimum) league cup games then add in the scottish cup & the challenge cup so we're already pushing 50 games in the season. Isn't that enough for a pool of 20 to 25 (ish) part-time players?

1 hour ago, Magic Hat said:

Disappointed to hear that he received abusive messages after the play off game. Not his biggest fan and think he is a bomb scare at times but doesn't deserve that. People say things in the heat of the moment at games, but to actually send derogatory messages after the match is really poor.

Completely agree. Personally I never shout abuse at the players (what's the point) and can't comprehend why anyone would send abusive messages to a player on social media.

Overall that's an interesting interview. It's good to hear Morgan got supportive texts from team mates and a call from the gaffer that evening. Hopefully he makes a good start to the season and gets the whole support behind him.

Delighted if the Shire Cup is back, it was grim really that it was allowed to go into abeyance given the rich heritage . Shouldn't be hard to fit the games in, there are loads of midweek bounce games anyway. 

Agree about Neil, pretty incredible anyone took time to send him abuse. Came across well in the interview and hopefully he can indeed learn from his error and come out of it stronger in the long term. 

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

Pretty amazed by that TBH. It's been ten years, so I wonder what's prompted this.

Did the last edition ever get finished?

Think I heard we'd be dissolved as an association if it went on any longer.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, printer said:

Completely agree. Personally I never shout abuse at the players (what's the point) and can't comprehend why anyone would send abusive messages to a player on social media.

Overall that's an interesting interview. It's good to hear Morgan got supportive texts from team mates and a call from the gaffer that evening. Hopefully he makes a good start to the season and gets the whole support behind him.

Sending messages to abuse him is the act of complete idiots. I do readily admit I could have killed the boy at half time of the game, thought he had completely sold the jerseys (hes a big lad so likely would have knocked me down with a miss anyway in a conflict). But he made a mistake, we've all done that in the past. Dwelling on it helps noone. And we went on to put in one of our best 45 minutes of the entire season anyway.

Any lingering hangover of ill will from that as you say will be completely evaporated if he starts the season well. And the fans will get right behind him if he does.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

The only shouting at players aught to be encouragement otherwise keep quiet , As for sending abuse online not very brave is it  ?

As for the stirlingshire cup was it not last played with the youth teams  ? not too fussed about it , more games mean more expenditure for the fans too , (yeah tightwad ) , if it replaces bounce games then fair enough .

Seen on the Advertiser that we're in a group with Stirling Albion and East Stirlingshire for the Stirlingshire Cup. 

At least we don't have to wait too long for a derby

League Cup fixtures:

Sat 13th July - Bye (Friendly?)

Tues 16th - East Fife (H)

Sat 20th - Brechin (A)

Tues 23rd - St Johnstone (H)

Sat 27th - Morton (A)

Decent getting the away games on the Saturday but probably less of a crowd for St Johnstone game versus being on the Saturday last year. 

Would like us to have a friendly against Sauchie Juniors but don't think it'd happen.

Two friendlies plus the four cup games is a decent amount of game time so far. I wonder if some of the clubs might try and squeeze the Stirlingshire Cup games in preseason as well