The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The money changing hands in Scottish football in the 90s always surprises me somewhat

I think the money thrown about then has a lot to do with generous overdrafts given by banks at the time, as well players not being paid very much out with Rangers & Celtic. 

I may be getting mixed up, but didn't St. Mirren spend £800k on a player in the late 1980's?  In saying that, that may have just been from the windfall of winning the Cup in '87 but still, to spunk it all on the one player is not something which happens these days.

I remember from a Motherwell point of view, spending money on dross like Andy Roddie from Aberdeen (£150k IIRC), Shaun McSkimming from Killie (£250k) and another couple of hundred grand on Eddie May from Falkirk.  Not forgetting the money sent elsewhere (£250k to Spurs for John Hendry and £400k to Eindhoven for van der Gaag).  I'm sure every Premier Division club from those days have a few stories like that.

It just doesn't happen like that anymore.  I remember the shock and surprise when Aberdeen paid money for Kenny McLean.  A transfer between two Scottish clubs, for £300k I think, and neither Celtic or Rangers were involved.  That was news.

5 hours ago, Desp said:

I know Aberdeen have paid £1m for a player, but what's the highest fee they've received?

5 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

£1.75million for Eoin Jess from Coventry.

I was genuinely surprised by how little income Aberdeen seem to have had recently from player trading in recent years. Looking at their season wiki pages (I know) it looked as if the last income they had from a player was an undisclosed fee for Fyvie in 2012. Is that right? It seems absolutely mental given the relative success they've had over the past few seasons.

It also kind of bucks the trend for the business model Celtic have had success with and Motherwell are attempting to adopt on a much smaller scale of recruiting with a view to selling on for profit. I mean it's a good position for Aberdeen to be in, they seem to be posting operating profit year on year without relying on selling players but it seemed quite surprising that they hadn't cashed in at some point.

Yes, we've typically not received big dough from selling on players in comparison to Hibs / United / other clubs in similar positions. Possibly related to our long-standing policy of not giving out contracts longer than two years.

The McInnes era has so far been marked by his ability to keep the squad together, so the only players that have moved on in the last four seasons have been peripheral ones.

You get a feeling that the club have done so well to get the players feeling like they're part of something. Winter-breaks in Dubai, golf days, etc, these players feel wanted, and are getting little bonuses and kick-backs that they won't get in the Championship. They're also the (relatively) big fish in the (relatively) small pond. Winning pretty consistently, getting to semis and finals, it creates a great atmosphere. Hayes also has a young family and if he's settled here, he won't feel the need to move. They can probably offer a lot of money but he'll be one of our top earners and won't be on a pittance. 
Unless we get over around 1.5mil I don't see him going. 

But then what else can he do at aberdeen? Fair enough if that is his only ambition but I would be surprised if he wants to settle for constantly finishing 2nd/3rd and getting an odd big cup semi or diddy cup win.

But then what else can he do at aberdeen? Fair enough if that is his only ambition but I would be surprised if he wants to settle for constantly finishing 2nd/3rd and getting an odd big cup semi or diddy cup win.

Probably preferring to scrapping around midtable Championship level tbf

There's a (small but not tiny) chance of Aberdeen playing in the Europa League group stage - more chance of this than of Cardiff getting promoted and Hayes then getting EPL game time. So the highest club level Hayes can realistically play is Europa League group stages and his best chance of this is at Aberdeen. Only option that might better this would be Celtic but he's too old for them. McInnes kens the score and Hayes will stay barring a seven figure bid.

Considine is one of those players that seem to have managed to stay at club over the course of his career because he's a 'good guy' rather than any ability. Would it be harsh for me to say, he's probably not good enough for you lot if you have genuine aspirations of challenging? I see that ourselves, Rangers and Hibs are after him. What does he bring to the table other than versatility? I take it you lot aren't keen on keeping him?

I'm pretty sure McInnes will offer him a new deal tbh. He'd be a good signing for a mid-table side, fairly solid, but his lack of pace can leave him getting caught out. Very much doubt he'd sign for Rangers, he's a die hard Dandy.

Consi is a model pro, which is why the legion of Aberdeen managers that have come and gone in his time have kept him. He's hugely improved under McInnes and is a good centre back and a good left back. However, he's gaffe prone and has a horrendous first touch.

Personally, I'd have him at centre back with O'Connor for the rest of the season and sign him up for another year or two as a second or third choice centre back if we can strengthen over the summer.

Given the wonders Tommy Wright has worked with Shaughnessy, if Considine went to St Johnstone he'd be absolutely immense. Hartley wouldn't improve him but he'd still be great for Dundee or Hibs. Can't imagine him playing for the Orcs.

Most importantly, he's a local loon and his dad played for the Dons. Important to keep a local identity with some North-East players and avoid becoming a generic Weegie and bargain basement English squad like many other teams. Consi must stay!

He's been very solid in every game I've seen this season, although I understand he'd a shocker in Dingwall. He also put in two absolutely fantastic perfectly timed challenges to stop goals in Maribor and at home to (I think) Partick. Keep him.

Considine is one of those players that seem to have managed to stay at club over the course of his career because he's a 'good guy' rather than any ability. Would it be harsh for me to say, he's probably not good enough for you lot if you have genuine aspirations of challenging? I see that ourselves, Rangers and Hibs are after him. What does he bring to the table other than versatility? I take it you lot aren't keen on keeping him?

I think most Aberdeen supporters, myself included, would want to keep him. Might not have said that four years ago mind.

Probably preferring to scrapping around midtable Championship level tbf

Well he would get paid more and get to play against bigger teams and crowds. Plus the monotony of scottish football would be enough. Go down there and play well and you never know.

Considine perhaps isn't as good as some of our supporters would have you believe, but he is also certainly nowhere near as bad as some opposition supporters would like to believe. I think most Aberdeen fans would agree that he is worthy of a renewal on current and recent form, and he does offer an undeniable degree of versatility that some of our other defenders do not - I imagine McInnes likes that about him. Aberdeen is probably as good as it is ever going to get for Considine, too; if he did leave at any stage, however, you would hope that it would not prove overly difficult to acquire a suitable replacement. 

The fact that he is local and boasts family ties to the club should have absolutely nothing at all to do with whether his contract is renewed or not, mind.