The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Hi Drewdon.  Bowman definitely takes Arneson's left leg.  Had it been the other way around, it's a penalty and Arneson would most likely have gone.

It's most clear at 1.27 on BBC highlights.

But it's nothing but sour grapes now. 

Yours

aDONis

I agree with this - reading and hearing about how wonderful Motherwell are - but essentially two free goals.

We get a couple of early presents and a 2-0 lead in a semi and I’d be confident of us seeing it out, just like last seas.....oh wait.

There's a guy at Exeter, quite tall, physical, scored a few goals this year.  We could maybe look at him.

After the elbows incidents including the Scottish cup final he was going to be target for refs so it was best he moved on. Got to remember Zander Diamond was Player of the season at Exeter City level so I don’t look at that goals record too much as it is miles behind our level.

After the elbows incidents including the Scottish cup final he was going to be target for refs so it was best he moved on. Got to remember Zander Diamond was Player of the season at Exeter City level so I don’t look at that goals record too much as it is miles behind our level.

I wasn’t being serious min

6 hours ago, betting competition said:

So presumably we need to move Shinnie on, as he's been targeted by refs?   Maybe time our manager grows a set, and publicly lambasts these referees - with a comparison video of what Shinnie does to get booked vs Scott Brown.

The notion that League 2 in England is "miles behind our level" is interesting - I certainly think it's on a par with the bottom half SPL - which is 18 fixtures right away, and the odd cup game - where opponents have strikers from League 2/Conference who put us to the sword.

As a Plan B striker, Stockley was absolutely fine.    Generally got his head on the ball if the service was right, and despite the poor misses in big games last season, he scored some vital game-changing goals e.g. Ventspils, Dundee, Partick, Kilmarnock.........so made a hell of a lot more of a positive impact than Maynard.  Is Cosgrove someone that can be that option next season?  He seems to have been written off already on the strength of 2 minutes against Celtic.

Our fans seem to have these things about big target man types, and utterly panning them  - think it was Strachan who said Scottish fans prefer wee guys who run around a lot.

Edited by tarapoa

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

So presumably we need to move Shinnie on, as he's been targeted by refs?   Maybe time our manager grows a set, and publicly lambasts these referees - with a comparison video of what Shinnie does to get booked vs Scott Brown.

The notion that League 2 in England is "miles behind our level" is interesting - I certainly think it's on a par with the bottom half SPL - which is 18 fixtures right away, and the odd cup game - where opponents have strikers from League 2/Conference who put us to the sword.

As a Plan B striker, Stockley was absolutely fine.    Generally got his head on the ball if the service was right, and despite the poor misses in big games last season, he scored some vital game-changing goals e.g. Ventspils, Dundee, Partick, Kilmarnock.........so made a hell of a lot more of a positive impact than Maynard.  Is Cosgrove someone that can be that option next season?  He seems to have been written off already on the strength of 2 minutes against Celtic.

Our fans seem to have these things about big target man types, and utterly panning them  - think it was Strachan who said Scottish fans prefer wee guys who run around a lot.

cosgrove looked ok for his 5 mins on Saturday. He could have a use if we insist on booting the ball as hard as we can.

We all loved van der ark and mixu. It's the shit target men (zola, T***y wr***t) that get abuse. Surely Church and Stockley were generally regarded as useful?

Surely Church and Stockley were generally regarded as useful?

Dons fans with a sense of reality saw some value in Church and Stockley. You won’t find those sorts on AbMad these days.

I often watch some of the development league highlights. There is an uncanny similarity between Cosgrove and Stockley (including red card ratios). Young Sam is far from a graceful thoroughbred at that level but shows some pretty handy touches. I’m willing to let him have more than 8mins first team action before passing judgement.

Stockley scores 22nd goal of the season in just 35 games for Exeter (scored 10 in 20 before joining us)

Only 5 bookings. No Red Cards.

Sam Cosgrove since 2014. Only 7 starts (22 appearances from Sub). 1 fucking goal.

Thought I'd best leave it a few days after the semi final to let my anger summer a bit, it hasn't worked. I'm still a mix of absolutely seething and yet absolutely apathetic and resigned to a poor season.

3-6 months after most fans realised it, Del has finally admitted his recruitment wasn't good enough. No point going over it again as many have done above. Just to add the blatant issues in the squad of central midfield, centre half and the two full backs have not been addressed again over two transfer windows. There is clearly an ongoing issue with scouting as in the last 4-5 windows we've spectacularly failed to make any impact. Del places huge levels of trust in Russ Richardson but it looks like that trust is misplaced.

Moving into next season, if Del stays then we need a few changes. The biggest problems to us are a lack of playing strategy leading to ad hoc signings and a serious problem with big game mentality.

On the first point, we cannot afford another summer where Del is happy to take Cormack's cash with little discernible thought to how we are going to play next season. We need to find players to fit a style whether it be shitfesting, cute technical play or getting the ball wide and trying to exploit wide areas.

Mentality wise, we need to address the blatant big game bottle problem. That means being willing to sign players with experience of winning these big games and who perform to those levels. Too often this season our so called senior pros have hid in these games - Christie, Stewart, GMS, May, Lewis and more centre halves than a stick can be shaken at. McGeouch would have been a good start on that front player wise. But we also need to address the struggle that Del clearly has in these games. In a radical change of thought from many, a shake up of the coaching staff would be a good thing to try if Del remains. Some fresh ideas coming in would be a good thing. These ideas may help Del smash the glass ceiling he has in these games.

Moving into next season, not sure what will happen but it is clear we need far more than this season.

Falkirk Chief Executive released a statement yesterday which included this bit about us:

A further friendly match has been confirmed with Aberdeen for the evening of 4th July. This will most likely be played at Gayfield Park, Arbroath and we will confirm as soon as details are known. A further two friendly matches will be organised shortly and again we will confirm details when known.

Think Aberdeen contacted them as they have changed the statement to:

A further three friendly matches will be organised shortly and again we will confirm details when known.

Edited by betting competition