The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

6 minutes ago, Aufc said:

You are partly right. I don’t hate rangers as such. I hate a lot of their bigoted supporters. It is a great move for him on paper. How can aberdeen fans disagree with this? It obviously depends on whether he plays.

Aberdeen fans are up there with rangers and celtic fans in the bitterness stakes.

It's a good short term move for him financially.

Football wise? The guy has yet to complete one full season as a first team regular for any club. He has had two months of that and is rushing off to sit on a bench at best for at least 6 months but more likely 2 or 3 years.

That's before you get to Illgresi's fair arguments about what the club has done for him.

32 minutes ago, Illgresi said:
  1. Jonny Hayes signed a new contract specifically so we would get a transfer fee
  2. Jonny Hayes hasn't been handed contract after contract despite being injured for half his adult life
  3. Jonny Hayes has had significantly more than 10 good games to repay his salary
  4. Jonny Hayes doesn't owe his entire existence as a footballer to Aberdeen Football Club
  5. Jonny Hayes wasn't raised as an Aberdeen fan, then at the first chance he got jumped ship to a club which is most politely described as the utter antithesis to everything that AFC as a club and a community hold most dear

I wish nothing less than a pestilence upon Scott Wright and his career. And his family as well for raising such a c**t of a human. f**k them all.

28B0D120-EA74-4A7F-BB6A-A0592705E5C6.gif

4 hours ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Really difficult to find any positives within the club at the moment. 

As people have said, we're definitely sleepwalking our way to 5th. Missing out on Europe would be financially disastrous for the club. 

Really worried about where we are going. 

With 2 champions league places, 1 Europa League place and 2 conference league places for Scotland next season even sleepwalking into 5th should see us in Europe

42 minutes ago, Illgresi said:
  1. Jonny Hayes signed a new contract specifically so we would get a transfer fee:
  2. Jonny Hayes hasn't been handed contract after contract despite being injured for half his adult life
  3. Jonny Hayes has had significantly more than 10 good games to repay his salary
  4. Jonny Hayes doesn't owe his entire existence as a footballer to Aberdeen Football Club
  5. Jonny Hayes wasn't raised as an Aberdeen fan, then at the first chance he got jumped ship to a club which is most politely described as the utter antithesis to everything that AFC as a club and a community hold most dear

I wish nothing less than a pestilence upon Scott Wright and his career. And his family as well for raising such a c**t of a human. f**k them all.

1. I’m assuming you won’t want Aberdeen to take advantage of pre-contract signings going forward if it’s such a big issue?

2. Surely that’s on Aberdeen for giving him those contracts if you don’t feel he merited it?

3. Similarly, if you think Wright has only had 10 good games then Aberdeen should’ve cut their losses a long time ago?

4 & 5. Footballers need to put aside their loyalty and club allegiances for the good of their career. That’s why they employ agents or have advisors, to give them an objective view that isn’t clouded by bias. You’d do the exact same.

30 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It's a good short term move for him financially.

Football wise? The guy has yet to complete one full season as a first team regular for any club. He has had two months of that and is rushing off to sit on a bench at best for at least 6 months but more likely 2 or 3 years.

That's before you get to Illgresi's fair arguments about what the club has done for him.

Aberdeen did what they did for Scott Wright because they felt it was in the best interests of Aberdeen.

The moment the juice was no longer worth the squeeze, they would have dropped him. Football clubs are not charities, and Aberdeen are no different.

19 minutes ago, G51 said:

Aberdeen did what they did for Scott Wright because they felt it was in the best interests of Aberdeen.

The moment the juice was no longer worth the squeeze, they would have dropped him. Football clubs are not charities, and Aberdeen are no different.

All evidence suggests otherwise. Aberdeen kept faith in him when many others wouldn't have.

19 minutes ago, G51 said:

Football clubs are not charities, and Aberdeen are no different.

Thanks for the wee football lesson there. Sometimes us diddies just need a bit of educating.

Or, people can have a view (albeit relatively subjective) on whether or not Scott Wright has done right by the club he purports to have grown up supporting and who have shown him a great deal of support in return.

Scott Wright has every right to take the decision he has. This is an indisputable fact but it's still a sport made great by passion and a tribal nature that goes beyond someone exercising their rights as an employee.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

I've not followed the entire conversation, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but are Aberdeen fans here arguing that Wright should turn down the opportunity to quadruple his wage, and sign another contract with the dons out of loyalty?

No.

It's more a case that he shouldn't expect to be welcomed back with open arms.

Johnny Hayes knew there was interest, and signed a deal, to ensure the club got money. 

A win win for everyone. 

The point is though, that football isn't any normal walk of life. It's not some placid, cold industry, it's a sport of passion. 

Clubs aren't companies, they are much, much more than that. Your way of viewing things makes me think football isn't the sport for you. 

I refuse to accept that football has to be this cold, calculated, mercenary driven industry, like every other one. 

Well then you will always be disappointed. Football clubs are a business and clubs like Airdrie and Aberdeen have their place in the pecking order.

For what its worth, I obviously understand why aberdeen fans are angry and understand he will get pelters on the park. It is the comments saying “he wont be welcome back in his hometown” that makes aberdeen fans seem bitter.

As has been mentioned, aberdeen kept wright on because they felt he had a use. If they didnt then they would have released him. Shit happens

7 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

It's not about him leaving. It's about where he's going and the fact he'll continue to play. I don't understand what's hard to grasp about that. 

If you want to look at football through a cold, calculated lens, thats up to you. I choose to believe it's more than that.

It’s more than that as a fan, but it’s a completely different ball game, so to speak, for a player.

It’s the same reason why I totally understand when the likes of Naismith left Rangers when he did. I don’t like him for doing it, but I can 100% appreciate that he left for the benefit of his career.

You say that Wright is going to do something most of you would never do, but I wholeheartedly disagree with that. If you were a professional footballer and you had the opportunity to join one of the countries biggest clubs which brings with it a different set of opportunities and the additional earning potential, then I honestly believe you would put some serious thought into it.

Of course it would be a difficult decision, but I honestly think a larger portion of Aberdeen fans than you think would do the same if they were in Wright’s position because ultimately you have to look after number 1.

Edited by AJF

14 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

You can see my post above on Rangers, and what I think of them. 

My Mother would disown me, let alone my father.

That's OK. Scott Wright is entitled to look after himself, just as Aberdeen fans are entitled to tell him to poke it up his arse, and get to flying f**k. 

I'll ask the question I asked the other Rangers fan on this thread, why do you, as a Rangers fan, think Rangers are so universally despised? 

In the politest possible way, I don’t really care what you or your parents think about Rangers as Aberdeen fans, I’m simply stating that any Aberdeen fan who was a footballer would also give this move serious thought. You’d be gambling with your career and I genuinely believe the majority would put any hatred or club bias aside and make a decision that is best for them as an individual.

Some may decide not to, which would be their prerogative, but I genuinely feel footballers are different in many ways from fans.

They are involved in football from a very young age so don’t get the chance to go along to games as much as normal fans do. They are conditioned to view the sport as a career so tend to form less of an emotional attachment to a club. They are also well aware that it is highly unlikely that they will see out their career at a single club so cannot afford to be constrained by hatred or any feelings towards particular clubs.

You might think along the lines of “I’d never sign for them if I was a footballer” but history proves that this isn’t really a big issue when it comes to who players sign for.

As for why Rangers are hated by other fans, I could list many reasons, I just don’t see why that is relevant?

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

It's quite simple lads, if you're a young player at Aberdeen coming through publicly stating you're a big fan, there's one career move you don't make if you want to retain the respect of the rest of the Dons support.

That I don’t have an issue with, I wouldn’t expect you to respect him. It’s the inference that a player would or should flat out refuse to sign for Rangers because their allegiance to Aberdeen, which is ludicrous, that I disagree with.