The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Just now, kingjoey said:

You’re really pissed off that we haven’t taken Callum Hendry off your hands, aren’t you?

Still a chance of that, m8.

Hornby is injured so you still need another...

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, you signed him in January.

How many goals did he score from January to the end of the season? 

Using that timeline since that's how long Hornby will be with you...

Aha a new one. Goals scored within first few months of signing count more than those later on.

Any days of the week discounted? What about if you’re wearing a teams third strip?

Hornby has a lot of upside but he's still a big risk. RG is right in that he's still unproven at senior level.

It's a gamble Aberdeen should take (because all of their other options are terrible), but it's still a gamble. Reims aren't that good and he couldn't get a sniff there.

On 29/01/2021 at 23:17, Merkland Red said:

I presume there's a bit of face saving from Carlisle. There should be questions asked on why a player (who wasn't rated by their staff) went to a higher level for peanuts and was then sold for around 100 times that figure.

Nah, it's sounding more credible

This guy's usually on the ball and is quoting 20% - 

Lot of bluster from Aberdeen fans about "but he would have joined us anyways", "signed a pre-contract". "uff uff uff", but on the other hand why not just wait to the end of the season if he was already on a pre-contract. Aberdeen obviously wanted him badly and Carlisle got the sell-on clause in return, if a bit low in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Aha a new one. Goals scored within first few months of signing count more than those later on.

Hornby is an inexperienced, unproven, senior striker you will have for 4 months.

Cosgrove was an inexperienced, unproven, senior striker you signed in January and played for 4 months.

Really, really, hard to see why I'm drawing comparisons between the two.

Hornby has far less senior minutes and goals than Bruce Anderson, yet you've got folk on here claiming he's a "proven goalscorer".

4 minutes ago, orfc said:

Nah, it's sounding more credible

This guy's usually on the ball and is quoting 20% - 

Lot of bluster from Aberdeen fans about "but he would have joined us anyways", "signed a pre-contract". "uff uff uff", but on the other hand why not just wait to the end of the season if he was already on a pre-contract. Aberdeen obviously wanted him badly and Carlisle got the sell-on clause in return, if a bit low in my opinion.

It was Carlisle that approached Aberdeen to get the deal done early so it wasn’t that Aberdeen were desperate to get it done.

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, you signed him in January.

How many goals did he score from January to the end of the season? 

Using that timeline since that's how long Hornby will be with you...

Big 0 goals for Sam

It's massive risk that could cost us 3rd but not a lot of options out there and we need some short term deal after a fantastic financial deal with Sam Cosgrove. The positive with Hornby that has played with Ferguson, McCrorie and Mclennan a fair bit.

Edited by betting competition

4 minutes ago, betting competition said:

It's massive risk that could cost us 3rd

A risk/mistake, that was made in the Summer when you decided to run with Main as your only, permanent, 2nd choice striker.

Maybe just me but you've always looked like a club that don't particularly plan things that well. Signings are just sort of made on a vague idea of what McInnes wants to do with the knowledge he thinks the players joining are good, so he'll figure it out once they've joined.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Difficult to know for sure how Hornby will turn out, but at least it's a bit more imaginative and exciting than Hendry. If worse comes to worst, we will have to suffer with Main for a few months and hopefully just about scrape home in third. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

A risk/mistake, that was made in the Summer when you decided to run with Main as your only, permanent, 2nd choice striker.

Very few non-OF clubs carry a squad with 3 or 4 ready to go, experienced strikers. 

We took on Watkins, with Cosgrove and Main there as well, on top of having some good attacking midfielders in Hayes, Hedges, Wright etc. 

If all had remained injury free (Watkins especially) there's a pretty reasonable chance we would be sitting 2nd in the league at this moment. 

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hornby is an inexperienced, unproven, senior striker you will have for 4 months.

Cosgrove was an inexperienced, unproven, senior striker you signed in January and played for 4 months.

Really, really, hard to see why I'm drawing comparisons between the two.

Hornby has far less senior minutes and goals than Bruce Anderson, yet you've got folk on here claiming he's a "proven goalscorer".

Maybe those people don’t discount goals for the under 21s as readily as you do.  

Just now, Bob Mahelp said:

Very few non-OF clubs carry a squad with 3 or 4 ready to go, experienced strikers. 

We took on Watkins, with Cosgrove and Main there as well, on top of having some good attacking midfielders in Hayes, Hedges, Wright etc. 

If all had remained injury free (Watkins especially) there's a pretty reasonable chance we would be sitting 2nd in the league at this moment. 

Aye, but Watkins would likely still be away this window, as would Edmondson.

So you'd still be in this position.

Could the money committed to the McCrorie deal not have been better spent elsewhere?

1 minute ago, Rodhull said:

Maybe those people don’t discount goals for the under 21s as readily as you do.  

As I say, most of us his U21 goals came v San Marino and Andorra. 

If you're about to tell me that I'm the idiot for thinking they don't show he's a proven goalscorer at top flight level, then batter on by all means.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

RG is actually making some fair points as to whether we’re signing a striker ready to hit the ground running in the next few months. 

And if that was his only point then fair enough but when you have to start saying goals against certain teams or before a certain date don’t count it just reeks of pedantry.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Maybe just me but you've always looked like a club that don't particularly plan things that well. Signings are just sort of made on a vague idea of what McInnes wants to do with the knowledge he thinks the players joining are good, so he'll figure it out once they've joined.

We had a loan deal with Watkins, unfortunately for us he got injured or I positive we would have extended his deal.

Don't agree with your point that Mcinnes doesnt plan as if he didn't then we wouldnt be as high up the league. He does go with a smaller squad than most clubs as he wants quality over quantity but when you have a fair few injuries then it does get a bit difficult.